Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's October 2014 Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Only 7 books for the month. Didn't do any reading at all while I was back visiting my mom, other than on the flights there and back.

Bran New Death (Merry Muffin Mystery, #1) by Victoria Hamilton Bran New Death by Victoria Hamilton: 1st in Merry Muffin series and WAY better than her Vintage Kitchen series. Liked the main character and great location. Well done mystery that kept me guessing. Grade: 8

Scene of the Climb by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley Scene of the Climb by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley: 1st in Pacific Northwest series and another good series opener. The main character bluffs her way into a writing job for Northwest Extreme magazine. She passes herself off as an outdoor adventure enthusiast when she's really a couch potato. Good story, great setting! Grade: 8

Paw Enforcement (K9, #1) by Diane Kelly Paw Enforcement by Diane Kelly: 1st in K9 series and looks like Ms. Kelly has another winning series on her hands. She also writes the Death & Taxes series which has a definite "chick lit" feel to it. This one definitely does NOT! Megan Luz is a Ft. Worth cop who gets paired up with a dog after tasering her former partner in a not so subtle part of his anatomy. Love the dog, Brigit, and the story involving a bomber was well done. Grade: 8.5

One Potion in the Grave ( A Magic Potion Mystery #2) by Heather Blake One Potion in the Grave by Heather Blake: 2nd in Magic Potion series and yet another top-notch read from Ms. Blake/Webber. I love the characters in this new series and the locale just adds to the enjoyment. I pegged the killer early on, but that didn't detract from anything. Grade: 9

Caught Dead Handed by Carol J. Perry Caught Dead Handed by Carol J. Perry: 1st in Witch City series and quite an enjoyable read! Probably could have been shortened by 50 pages or so, but that's a minor point. Liked the characters and the Salem, MA, location. Good story with just enough of a paranormal flavor thrown in. Grade: 8.5

Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery #4) by Bailey Cates Some Enchanted Éclair by Bailey Cates: 4th in Magical Bakery series, and one I think I'll pass on from now on. I just have never connected with any of the characters, other than the main character's aunt. There are a couple of similar cozy series that are much better, IMO. Grade: 5.5

Nora Bonesteel's Christmas Past A Ballad Novella by Sharyn McCrumb Nora Bonesteel's Christmas Past: A Ballad Novella by Sharyn McCrumb: this one is a novella, about 160 pages, with some of my favorite characters from McCrumb's Appalachian Ballad series. An early, but entirely welcome, Christmas offering. Grade: 8.5

Should have a better count this month and November is starting off well with Gray Mountain by John Grisham Gray Mountain.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Nov 02, 2014 01:36PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Your books this month look like real winners for the most part. Melodie! If I am in a cozy mood I know I can go to your monthly posts and steer correctly towards good ones!

Good to see you snagged a copy of Gray Mountain, Barry has started the discussions going on the first sets of chapters. I hope to get to it soon.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Scene of the Climb sounds interesting.

message 4: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3546 comments even though you didn't get your usual amt it still looks like a good list.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments 7 is not too shabby....