UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2013-15 > November 2014: Poetry

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3424 comments Mod
So poetry it is for November! I always find this tough: school did it's best to ensure I avoid poetry....

I've had The Collected Dorothy Parker knocking around for a long time, waiting to be read. It's a big book, but luckily for me, only a third is poetry (phew!), the rest being short stories and articles written for 'The New Yorker' etc.

The Collected Dorothy Parker by Dorothy Parker

message 2: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
I'm going with Em's suggestion of John Cooper Clarke. I've been watching Anarchy in Manchester on Sky Arts. It's the best of the Granada TV, Tony Wilson fronted late 70's punk/new wave music show So It Goes and it is narrated by JCC. One of the episodes had him doing "You'll Never See a Nipple in the Daily Express" - just so caustic and wonderful.

message 3: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Yay! As Ian mentioned I'm reading Ten Years in an Open Necked Shirt by John Cooper Clarke. I've been voting for poetry since I bought this in August!

message 4: by Mercia (last edited Nov 03, 2014 12:43AM) (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 610 comments I got a signed edition of a new poetry chap book Arrivals & Departures from my friend Robert Vas Dias. I was hoping that poetry would be selected so that I get to read his latest prose poems. Although I've already heard some of them at the poetry reading where I got the chap book.

message 5: by Ian, Moderator (new)

What's a chap book?

message 6: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 610 comments Chap book is short for cheap book and is a traditional name for a short book of 48 or less pages that are printed spineless and saddle stitched or stapled.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments I'm going away for a week so will bring along Honey and Salt by Carl Sandburg by Carl Sandburg. It looks short and I think his poems might be somewhat accessible. We'll see how it goes..

message 8: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 610 comments I finished Robert vas Dias' Arrivals & Departures, but then it is just 33 pages long. It is a series of prose poems with often exquisite turns of phrase centred on the mundanities of life. It is mostly set in the poet's home city of London, but reminiscent of the short form prose of Lydia Davis from the USA where he spent much of his life.

message 9: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1328 comments Mod
I'm a bit behind and still reading a graphic novel but I've also taken the plunge on poetry and started Rhyming History of Britain which is very witty.

message 10: by Ian, Moderator (last edited Nov 06, 2014 09:07AM) (new)

Mercia wrote: "Chap book is short for cheap book and is a traditional name for a short book of 48 or less pages that are printed spineless and saddle stitched or stapled."

Ta....never knew that.

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 371 comments Reading Poems of the Great War 1914-1918 and also a collection of Great War poems by several European poets in Dutch.

message 12: by April (new)

April Munday | 83 comments It's a great excuse to read The Complete English Works by George Herbert, or at least the poems.

message 13: by Kate, Moderator (new)

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Don't read much poetry but have been really enjoying it so far! I have finished Two Wendy Cope collectionsSerious ConcernsFamily Valuesand alsoHow to Disappear. Hoping to read The Penguin Book of Modern African Poetryand Don Juanby the end of the month.

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Similarly I don't read much poetry. Periodically I will have a go but I can never sustain the effort and head back to fiction. Anyway on my shelf is Crow From the Life and Songs of the Crow by Ted Hughes and with a gap last night after finishing a book I started it and so far I am really enjoying. It is very dark and blackly funny so I plan to carry on and maybe even do some reading up to find out more about any hidden meaning which is often where I struggle. Saying that I enjoyed many moons ago the joy when doing o levels of seeing that elusive thread. Maybe its time to try again!!

message 16: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3424 comments Mod
I finally finished my 'Collected Dorothy Parker', which was a mix of poems, short stories and pieces she wrote for The New Yorker and other magazines.

It was good, but being a definitive collection, it was over 600 pages. I think I would have admired her more in smaller chunks! (A bit like the Complete Jeeves Collection I read last year, I do think it's possible to have too much of a good thing!)

She writes very well, is a great observer of behaviour and has a sharp ear for dialogue. As expected, she has a very clever/humourous style. Her writing also sums up perfectly, that interwar prohibition period in the US, (well, at least for New York 'society').

Just as I thought she was spending too long bemoaning the fate of the single girl, (and the effects of post party hangovers), she grows up, and starts tackling a broader range of subjects.

Still hasn't made me want to read more poetry though!

message 17: by April (new)

April Munday | 83 comments Sadly, I'm not going to finish the complete George Herbert by Sunday. Having started, however, I'm going to carry on with it.

message 18: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1328 comments Mod
I've just finished The Rhyming Bible: From the Creation to Revelation which wasn't as good as Rhyming History of Britain however James Muirden has a great way of summarising the subject into witty verse so I may have to seek out Shakespeare Well-Versed: A Rhyming Guide to All His Plays by the same author.

message 19: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I was quite taken with Ten Years in an Open Necked Shirt by John Cooper Clarke Ten Years in an Open Necked Shirt by John Cooper Clarke the poems are seriously funny, mad and full of personality. I even found some recorded performances on Spotify which livened up the commute to work...

message 20: by Ian, Moderator (new)

I listened to a load of JCC on You Tube plus watched a great Beeb documentary about the WW1 poets which included a lot of moving readings. No reading by me but more poetry than I usually bother with.