Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's October

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments Deadline: John Sanford
Just the kind of well written, funny and complex novel we expect from Sanford in the Flowers series. Flowers gets roped into searching for a dognapper, but stumbles into an economic crime that turns to murder. (A)

Full Measure: T Jefferson Parker
Hope and pain, both in full measure. A powerful book of a family that has not lost all. (B)

The First Law: John Lescroat
A classic if the “it is always darkest just before dawn” genre. Dismas and Glitsky are threatened by the bad guys, and are driven toward taking justice into their own hands.

Haunted: Randy Wayne White
A Hannah Smith novel, and he keeps Doc Ford away from this one to allow the character to actually stand on her own. Hannah moves into a possibly haunted house, or maybe just a place where bad things are happening. (B)

The Kraken Project: Douglas Preston
Computer AI vs the world. I do have to say the AI has one of the better personalities in the book, but mostly well told, and much seat of the pants type stuff. (B)

Shadow of a Doubt: William Coughlin
Ex-drunk lawyer tried major case might almost be its own genre in legal thrillers, but that is what we see in Shadow of a Doubt. Charlie has barely managed to keep his law license intact thoght a spell in rehab when a major case drops in his lap. Nobody seems to be rooting for him, but he is finished as a lawyer if he fails, and maybe even if he succeeds. (B)

Guilt: Jonathan Kellerman
An Alex Delaware novel. Entertaining, and good interplay between the shrink and the cop (Milo). They investigate baby bones and murders in the land of the rich and famous. (B)

Soft Targets: Dean Ing
From 1979, a very dated novel of terrorists operating on US soil. (B-)

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments I'm giving up on Hannah; just isn't worth the time IMO.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Good month while working around the clock, Barry!
Full Measure is very near the top of the tbr pile.
I was just wondering about Hannah Smith again, Dan. I have given up on her after the first book, but I think this is number three, so something is working for the series. (That doesn't mean I am trying it, just curious) - what do you think, Barry - has she gotten better?
Daniel wrote: "I'm giving up on Hannah; just isn't worth the time IMO."

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments I read most of those in the 2 weeks before the shift started. I'm doing about a book per week now, but I am due to rotate back to days before Thanksgiving, maybe even by Veteran's day.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Impressive month! I love your summaries. Perfect description of Deadline!

message 6: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments great month of books

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Short and to the point, as always.

It's been a while since I read any TJP, thanks for reminding me.

Flowers is a given!

Not sure if I've read Guilt. I try to keep up but the plots kind of run into each other.

Barry wrote: "Deadline: John Sanford
Just the kind of well written, funny and complex novel we expect from Sanford in the Flowers series. Flowers gets roped into searching for a dognapper, but stumbles into an ..."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Full Measure (other topics)