Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > December 2014 & January 2015 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 236 (236 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Chava (last edited Nov 09, 2014 05:35PM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Hello dear members,

It is that happy jolly season of either frozen toes, snow and hot chocolate or if you're on my side of the world air conditioning, beach trips and sun burnt noses :)
Either way, it's the holiday season and I'm sure most of us won't get that much time to read :). Therefore I think it would be a good idea to have this nomination and read month go for 2 months, ie. December and January.

So here are the rules:
1) Only ONE (1) nomination per person

2) No self nominations (sorry authors, there are other places for your books to be advertised)

3) Only books we haven't read yet, so check out the unread nominations shelf of our bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) Please make sure that your book is freely available around the world and in paperback (a guide might be to check Amazon or not to nominate books that were published in the last 2 months).

5) If a book gets nominated twice, first come first serve BUT if the book was previously nominated by one of the nominating parties they are in first (please do stipulate that, as my pregnant brain isn't up to remembering what everyone has nominated in the past)

Pretty simple really. We'll have the nominating go until the 10th of November and we'll start voting until the 26th of November so we know what to ask Santa or your relatives to buy you for the festive season :)

We won't have a nominating/voting for January as most of us will be too stuffed or in my case too hot!

message 2: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments I'm nominating a book that I'm reading at the moment and am loving The Son by Jo Nesbø .

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Alkazraji | 66 comments May I nominate Charles Dickens' 'A Tale of Two Cities'?

message 4: by Mona (last edited Nov 02, 2014 06:17AM) (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 41 comments I nominate The Butcher.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Knable | 4 comments I nominate John Sandford Deadline.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'd like to nominate a Spenser novel with a Christmas theme:

Silent Night: A Spenser Holiday Novel Silent Night A Spenser Holiday Novel by Robert B. Parker

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lafferty I nominate Woman in the Mirror

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Schultz | 12 comments I nominate Sandra Brown's "Mean Streak".

message 9: by Chava (last edited Nov 02, 2014 05:41PM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Mona wrote: "I nominate The Butcher."

Hi Mona,
Great book, isn't it? However, this book is actually one of the books we're reading this month. Have a look at our discussions page and join in the discussion. Here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Could you nominate a different book?
Chava

message 11: by Will (new)

Will | 1 comments Kirsten wrote: "I'd like to nominate a Spenser novel with a Christmas theme:

Silent Night: A Spenser Holiday NovelSilent Night A Spenser Holiday Novel by Robert B. Parker"

I'll second that nomination. I like the holiday theme for December/January :-)

message 12: by Lynn (new)

message 13: by Daniel (new)

message 14: by T.W. (new)

T.W. Garland (twgarland) | 2 comments I nominate Our Man in Havana. I've been meaning to read it for years.

message 15: by David (new)

David Kilner (boris1947) | 52 comments I nominate Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

message 16: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Rothman I nominate The Dogs's of Riga.

message 17: by Matt (new)

Matt Hughes | 65 comments I move that we read "Dialogues of the Dead. A Dalziel and Pascoe novel by Reginald Hill.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (seb1) | 14 comments I nominate The October List by Jeffery Deaver

message 19: by Jole (new)

Jole (jolelole) | 17 comments I nominate The Absent One (Department Q, #2)

message 20: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I nominate NATCHEZ Burning by Greg Iles

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Matt wrote: "I move that we read "Dialogues of the Dead. A Dalziel and Pascoe novel by Reginald Hill."

That's a great book especially if you follow it directly with Death's Jest-Book. Dalziel & Pascoe are in my top 10 of my favorite detectives.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Adkins | 2 comments the skull mantra

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hinsman (httpsgoodreadscomuser_jennyh) | 2 comments I nominate The Good Girl

message 24: by Ron (last edited Nov 09, 2014 04:04PM) (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 3759 comments River of Darkness (John Madden, #1) by Rennie Airth
River of Darkness by Rennie Airth

Never give up...

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 1005 comments I nominate Koko by Peter Straub. It was written in 1988. It is a very long book but it has really sucked me in. I am reading it right now.The cover makes it look like a horror story, but it's not. It is a literary thriller. I heard about it in the newspaper a couple of years ago when it was in their list of one of the 100 books you need to read before you die.

message 26: by Laima (last edited Nov 09, 2014 06:47PM) (new)

Laima | 416 comments I nominate The Burning Room

message 28: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Why do people 'plan in advance' --chronologically?--what they intend to read? This practice utterly mystifies me. I read whatever I'm in the mood for in a given day or week. Mystified as to any other habitude.

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 1005 comments Feliks wrote: "Why do people 'plan in advance' --chronologically?--what they intend to read? This practice utterly mystifies me. I read whatever I'm in the mood for in a given day or week. Mystified as to any oth..."

There are lots of good reasons that people plan what they will read. ("plan in advance" is redundant :-)) Although I don't usually plan, either, sometimes I have to. Maybe a publisher sends me an ARC they want reviewed right away. Or maybe I want to read a book before I see the movie. Or maybe an author plans to have a book event in my town, and I want to read his/her latest book beforehand.

message 30: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Hayes | 24 comments Jaye wrote: "I nominate The Dogs's of Riga."

Since Henning Mankell is the Marlon Brando of mystery writers, in my humble opinion, I'll vote for this book, I love Kurt Wallander.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments Kirsten wrote: "I'd like to nominate a Spenser novel with a Christmas theme:

Silent Night: A Spenser Holiday NovelSilent Night A Spenser Holiday Novel by Robert B. Parker"

I loved this book.
I wasn't sure what to nominate for Dec/Jan but I'm going to go with Caught by Harlan Coben

message 32: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Hayes | 24 comments I have to read that one.

message 33: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 3510 comments I nominate a book I've been wanting to read for years: The Talented Mr. Ripley.

message 34: by Chava (last edited Nov 10, 2014 03:05PM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments We are now closed to more nominations. I will post the nominations soon and we'll start voting until the 26th of November

message 35: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Kelly wrote: "I'd like to nominate Stephen Kings Revival."

Hi Kelly,
Revival isn't out until the 11th of November. That is going to make it too hard for people to get this book. We want the books to be rather freely available, preferably in paperback and at libraries. Maybe make this nomination at the next round.
Cheers
Chava

message 36: by Chava (last edited Nov 10, 2014 06:08PM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Okay, here are the rules for voting:

1) you get 2 votes
2) 1 vote per book
3) voting is open until the 26th of November
4) The 4 books with the most votes win
5) If your nominated book is 1 of the 4 winners, we ask you kindly to moderate the group discussing your nominated book.

Here is the list of 24 (!!!) nominations:
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Judgment Calls
The Burning Room New book, out 3 Nov 2014
Koko
Natchez Burning
The Absent One
The October List
Hercule Poirot's Christmas
Sworn to Silence
Mean Streak
Woman in the Mirror
Silent Night: A Spenser Holiday Novel
Deadline
A Tale of Two Cities
The Son
Dialogues of the Dead
First Night of Summer
The Good Girl
The Deep Blue Good-By
The Dogs of Riga
Our Man in Havana
Caught
The Skull Mantra
River of Darkness
Revival New book, out 11 Nov 2014

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 1005 comments my votes:

Koko
Caught

message 38: by Ron (last edited Nov 10, 2014 03:46PM) (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 3759 comments Chava wrote: "Here is the list of 24 (!!!) nominations..."

Since I've read 5 of them,
Hercule Poirot's Christmas
The Deep Blue Good-By
The Dogs of Riga
The Skull Mantra
River of Darkness

and all are good and I'd recommend any of them, I'm hoping for some of the others to win.
(This is not a nomination posting)

message 39: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hicks (missjanejetson) My votes:

The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Good girl

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I'll only read one of the group reads, I'll only cast one vote and that is for:

The Talented Mr. Ripley

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Webb I vote for The Good Girl and second vote is Natchez Burning

message 43: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 3510 comments My votes: The Talented Mr. Ripley and Sworn to Silence.

message 44: by Dominique (new)

Dominique I vote for Mean Streak and Caught

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments I am going to vote for First Night of Summer & Caught
Chava, are we allowed to vote for our nominated book?

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Horton-Newton (newliz) | 13 comments Sworn to Silence and Caught.

message 49: by Matt (new)

Matt Hughes | 65 comments I cast one vote for Dialogues of the Dead.
Since I just went to his book signing, I will also vote for The Burning Room. That gives me a chance to read my new Autographed copy!! Michael Connelley gave an excellent talk/conversation with Jeff Abbott at Houstons' "Murder by the Book " bookstore on the 6th. I felt privileged to meet this icon of my reading life. I can truly say I have read everything he has written about Harry Bosch, and really can't wait to read this one.

message 50: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (marathonsun) The Burning Room and Natchez Burning. Connelly and Iles are two of my favorites and just waiting to read both.

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.