Stephen King Fans discussion

Other Books (Non-King) > Favorite Quotes

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments I came across a thread in a different group where members were posting favorite quotes from books they'd read, and I thought this group probably had lots of favorites, whether King books or non-King.
Here are a few that I like;

"We all start out knowing magic. We are born with whirlwinds, forest fires, and comets inside us. We are born able to sing to birds and read the clouds and see our destiny in grains of sand. But then we get it, the magic, educated right out of our souls. We get it churched out, spanked out, washed out, and combed out. We get put on the straight and narrow and told to be responsible. Told to act our age. Told to grow up, for God's sake. And you know why we were told that? Because the people doing the telling were afraid of our wildness and youth, and because the magic we knew made them ashamed and sad of what they'd allowed to wither in themselves."

Robert McCammon, Boy's Life

-----
"Their faces were as fierce as painted cannibals coming off a fast"

"...wearing a tie that might have been a flag from a country famous for nothing but a lack of design sense"

"She had the vocabulary of a brothel owner specializing in service to nothing but sailors with turrets syndrome"

And my favorite;

Fluids! Fluids! My god doesn't that make you want to die! Just die, with all the fluids that have to be involved. So much that's wet... all that saliva it's just hideous...
Spittle! ...what's so erotic about swapping spit, for gods sake.
...if I ever kiss you it will be a dry kiss. As dry as paper. Dry as sand.
...no tongue.

Dean Koontz, various works

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 32 comments I like the first line of On Unfaithful Wings, by Bruce Blake:

"I stood with my back to the church, much the way I'd lived my life."

Or, the start of my favorite blurb for a book:

"The world ended on a Thursday."

Both brief, but full of meaning.

message 3: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments I like that Blake quote

message 4: by Jeff (last edited Nov 03, 2014 09:54AM) (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments “Let's get really fucked up and full of sentimental despair and then finally decide life, despite every heartbreak and anguished cry, is worth each pulse and breath”
― Jim Dodge, Stone Junction

message 5: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments Ok this isn't necessarily a fave quote, but I just read it in Everything's Eventual and it made me laugh;

(Written on a bathroom wall)
"My mother made me a whore"
to which someone had added in very different penmanship, "If I supply the yarn, will she make me one?"

-Stephen King

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3974 comments E. wrote: "Ok this isn't necessarily a fave quote, but I just read it in Everything's Eventual and it made me laugh;

(Written on a bathroom wall)
"My mother made me a whore"
to which someone had added in ver..."

There are so many of those hilarious examples of graffiti in that story. I wonder how much fun he had collecting them. :)

message 7: by Cody (new)

Cody Vaters | 118 comments "When you fall asleep laughing in the evening, it's difficult to awake crying in the sun." - Joseph Boyden, The Orenda

message 8: by Tatyana (new)

Tatyana | 8 comments “Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.” —Stephen King

message 9: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments "...perfect entertainment..."
I concur! =}

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 83 comments But there were some things I believed in. Some things I had faith in. And faith isn’t about perfect attendance to services, or how much money you put on the little plate. It isn’t about going skyclad to the Holy Rites, or meditating each day upon the divine. Faith is about what you do. It’s about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It’s about making sacrifices for the good of others—even when there’s not going to be anyone telling you what a hero you are. - Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files)

message 11: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments "By means of our myths and legends we maintain a sense or what we are worth and who we are. Without them we should undoubtly go mad."--Michael Moorcock, Mother London

"It was the whiteness of the whale that above all things appalled me."--Herman Melville, Moby Dick

"I love the smell of book ink in the morning."--Umberto Eco.