What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Fantasy novel. Man is a slave in a gem mine.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack (Pernicious) | 22 comments This novel keeps jumping in my mind then I will forget and sure enough always comes back.
Ok The cover maybe has a carriage and a man on a street in a "fantasy" town.
The story is of a man who is a slave in a gem mine ( starts out about life in the mine) really dark and fight to stay alive... think maybe animals in the mine also.
Ropes are lowered only certain times for food or to take away dead workers, somehow our man escapes and makes it to a town and hides in a brothel where he was brought up as a kid, he took some gems with his escape and he becomes a merchant ( I think that might be in the title) and he then goes back and destroys the mine and similar to the count (monte cristo) he also takes on the ruling class and makes a major difference with "upper nobility" , spy's are everywhere but he also has his information network within the brothel so he gets information on the other nobles and is able to outplay them. gem's gem's gem's something with gems and the mine a big dark hole, criminals are put there to die and they crawl in tight holes and crevasse's and hide when the beast's are let loose.
I think another miner finds something important, or had a plan to escape but was killed or murdered before he could and our man utilizes the plan... or well I remember when he makes it out of the hole and murder's a few of the guard's you want him to get revenge very badly but he chooses to get away and takes his revenge later. Fun book, fantasy setting, very similar in scope with the "count" possible title (the gem merchant of... I do believe the cover had the man standing by a carriage dressed all fancy with a sword and mountains in the distance. Most of the people that get murdered or killed really deserved it, the parts about living in the prison mine ...really dark.
Oh wait i think the Gems are so important cause they can hold magic!! just remembered that, but could be a whole diff' book Arrgghhh

message 2: by Kris (last edited Nov 02, 2014 05:27AM) (new)

Kris | 35101 comments Mod
Jack, around what year did you read this book?

This is probably too recent - Red Rising by Pierce Brown?
Dragon Weather by Lawrence Watt-Evans?

message 3: by Teri-K (last edited Nov 02, 2014 02:17PM) (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments Is it one of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series? The first book is Daughter of the Blood, but there are nine of them and I haven't read them in ages. It really sounds like one, I'm just not sure which one, though I'm guessing Heir to the Shadows or Queen of the Darkness.

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack (Pernicious) | 22 comments I dont know how old this novel is as I borrowed it from a home owner who's house I did some work on.
This was I would say 6?years ago not sure if novel was a new release or in the gentleman's collection.
The novel's main focus really was the man ...I cant remember if he was a kid thrown in or was betrayed and put in the mines, really close to the count of monte cristo, he gets out of the mine and from there he is hide in the rafters of the brothel ( gre up there after parents killed) he listens in on other merchants,politicians,bankers ect. then uses the info to become rich enough to make the moves he needs to exact revenge... the mine is a big dark hole in the ground that food is lowered by ropes and no one has ever escaped they use it like a jail. This is set in a fantasy world, dont remember if there are dragons but I know there is magic, the gems can be made to hold spells ..I think I have had some head injury's, shattered 3 windshields (not my fault) my memory is really bad, but almost painful to almost remember something but not. Grrr @ this book

message 5: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments Well, I still really think it's one of the Black Jewels series, LOL. Unfortunately I didn't like them that well when I read them some years ago, so I'm unwilling to reread them to see which one it was. I know the descriptions make it sound like they're all about the girl, but in the volume I'm thinking of there's a lot about the man, who might be Lucivar. The book you're thinking of might be Heir to the Shadows.

Lucivar (if that's the right character) is a slave in a mine somewhere, badly treated. He manages to escape. Also, the jewels in this series are important; each magical person is born to a certain jewel level which determines how powerful their magic is, and the jewels themselves do hold the power somehow.

Check them out to see if that's not what you're thinking of.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Jack, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Jack, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.