Goodreads in North Carolina discussion

Writing in NC

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) There are over 200 members in this group but it's very quiet up here!
Let's start a discussion, shall we?
Tell me about your experiences with writing. Do you write poetry, short stories, fiction, non-fiction, etc.? What inspires you? What do you hate about writing? What do you love?
Let's hear from some fellow writers in the Tarheel State!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pollock (labricoleuse) | 9 comments Thank you for starting a discussion in here!

I write a little bit of everything, though my focus right now is on a novel (I'm in final revisions with my literary agent before we send it out on submission). I focused in creative nonfiction in grad school though, and essay/memoir is where i've got the most publication credits, so far at least.

I'd say what i hate most about writing is first-drafting. Once there's something on the page, i love revisions, but it's chunking out that first rough stuff that i find hardest to muster.

message 3: by Marie (last edited Nov 21, 2014 05:34PM) (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Hello Rachel!
Good luck with your novel. It's great that you found an agent. I've only published through a small publishing company and though I am trying to find an agent for my other works, no luck just yet.
What kind of novel is it?
I agree with you completely on chunking first draft ideas. I always feel like I shouldn't deviate from that first stroke of inspiration but sometimes the story, and characters even, must change. A story evolves as you write it whether you want it to or not.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pollock (labricoleuse) | 9 comments It takes place in October, 1998, in Boston, and at the beginning of the book, there's a terrible fire in a nightclub in which 62 people are killed. The book jumps back to August and follows the lives of six friends and exes through the series of events that lead up to the cause of the fire.

message 5: by Judy (last edited Nov 13, 2014 08:48AM) (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 5 comments I write mystery/suspense books and have five published. Two of them Caviar Dreams and Tree Huggers were published by Zumaya Publications, the other three I published myself through the Amazon KDP program.

I'm inspired by pretty much everything and everyone around me. My sister gave me a T-shirt a few years back that says "Be careful or you'll end up in my novel," which sums up the whole inspiration process for me. Your whole life is fair game. My Ian Dodge detective series is based on my taciturn, British ex-pat husband, who despite having lived in the states for 30 some years, hangs on to every shred of his Britishness.

Although I live in Wilmington, North Carolina, and write about people living in North Carolina, they're all from someplace else. Like most of the people I've met since moving here from Indiana.

I would say the hardest thing about writing is when you finally realize the dream of publication only to discover that having a published book and having a published book that people want to buy are two entirely different things.

I can go on and on about self-publishing versus traditional publishing (and I have on my blog and would be glad to talk to anyone who's interested) I still can't say whether it's working for me or not. Mostly, I didn't want to spend the time waiting for the publisher to get my books out.

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Thanks for sharing, Judy!

I myself struggle with the reality of having published books that just don't seem to sell. Oh, you can do all the "right" things and follow everyone's advice but the internet is a ginormous pool that everyone is trying to swim in. How can you make yourself seen amongst the millions floating around you?

message 7: by LaToya (new)

LaToya Hankins (latoyahankins) | 7 comments I write contemporary novels set in North Carolina that feature mostly African American women characters. I have two books under my belt, SBF Seeking which is set in Raleigh with mention of Grifton and Charlotte and K-Rho: The Sweet Taste of Sisterhood which mentions Wilmington, Southport, and Kenansville. My third book which I'm working on now will weave in Supply, Wilmington, Salisbury, and possibly Raleigh. I love the act of creating reality and highlighting my favorite places in the state. I dislike the shopping it around to be published and the editing. But all in all, writing feeds my spirit so I take the good and the not so good.

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) "...writing feeds my spirit..." Well said, LaToya!
There will always be certain aspects of the writing and publishing process that we don't look forward to, but so long as we still love to create worlds and the characters that reside in those worlds, it's all worth it.

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 5 comments As I struggle with the aspects of the business--I really should fire my publicist, but I can't because it's me--I wonder why I do this. But then I think, what else would I do?

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Exactly, Judy.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Rachel wrote: "It takes place in October, 1998, in Boston, and at the beginning of the book, there's a terrible fire in a nightclub in which 62 people are killed. The book jumps back to August and follows the liv..."

Rachel, you have to let us know when it's published!

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) So, is there any way to bring this group back to life?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pollock (labricoleuse) | 9 comments I know there are over 200 members but i question how many of those actively use Goodreads.

I would love for this group to have more active discussions but maybe we first need to strategize how to get new members from active Goodreads users. I'm in a couple of local writing groups who organize using Yahoogroups and Facebook groups--i'll mention this one and share the link. Maybe that would be one way to foster discussion and activity.

I will challenge myself to start some new discussions over the coming months as well, as momentum is hard to start in general but once it gets going, it tends to keep going.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pollock (labricoleuse) | 9 comments Rachel wrote: "I know there are over 200 members but i question how many of those actively use Goodreads.

I would love for this group to have more active discussions but maybe we first need to strategize how to..."

Right after i posted it, i thought of another idea too. Any of us can invite Goodreads friends to join the group here:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/invit...

We could conduct a sort of membership drive, ask any of your local friends you think would enjoy active discussion of books, writing, etc.

message 15: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) I've created a group for readers, writers and authors who live in Eastern NC.
It isn't anything against this group, I would just like to have a group where people can not only discuss what they're reading but share their writing for critiques, beta reading, etc.
Also if anyone wants to start a local book club, it would be easier because a lot of active members of this group are more Piedmont/Mountains area.

I'd still like to be active in this group but it just seems that very few still pay attention to this group.

message 16: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 18 comments Dumb question, but how do you define Eastern NC? I'm used to thinking Mountains, Piedmont and Coastal - does your Eastern perhaps coincide with my Coastal?

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Yes, that's how I define it, coastal.

message 18: by LaToya (new)

LaToya Hankins (latoyahankins) | 7 comments For me, I think of Eastern NC as being the Pitt/Edgecombe county area while coastal would be the Brunswick/New Hanover county area. Being a native of Brunswick County who went to school in Pitt County, I always think of Coastal is if you can drive to the ocean from your county and Eastern if you have to drive through a county to get to an ocean.

message 19: by Shelli (new)

Shelli (padfoot625) | 1 comments Just joined this group - little activity? I'm central NC, Marie I don't know of that's "eastern" though. Between Fayetteville and Raleigh. Very few groups here to interact with at all.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pollock (labricoleuse) | 9 comments I'm not finding a lot of active groups here in general. Maybe i'm not looking into the right ones, but the groups where i'm finding interaction are specific topic/genre-based groups. Most of the community interaction i engage in on Goodreads is in comments to friends' reviews or on discussion of specific titles.

I'd love it if this group were more active, but so far it's really low-traffic. Regardless, welcome! :)

message 21: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 18 comments I have found a lot of active groups, but you're right, they're of the topic/genre type. What type of group would you hope to find, ideally?