Fringe Fiction discussion

Id Personified

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Richards (Jason_Richards) Hello everyone, my name is Jason and I'd like to recommend my own book 'Id Personified'. I wrote this story while I was thinking about themes that were coming up over and over again at my job with my clients. I work as a mental health therapist and at the time of writing this story I had a number of clients who had issues of trauma, drug use and aging which had led to fears of purposelessness and death and ultimately existential crises.

When I try to understand these themes and find ways to best approach them in therapy I tend to write out in a journal. The writing is designed to help me organize my thoughts. But this time was a bit different. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I suppose I was inspired at the time and ended up writing an outline for a story that focused on these themes. A month later, I had written the short story and, seeing as how it was finished and all, decided to self-publish it on Amazon to see what would happen.

It was a ton of fun to do and would love feedback as I would like to do it again. I've already planned out another story. But I would like to know how I can improve and need an audience to do this and, unfortunately, I've only had a few friends I've been brave enough to tell I've written a story (as I'm still not sure if the story is any good as, again, I'm brand new to this) read it and offer feedback.

The story itself follows the life of woman from her time as a child up to when she is middle-aged. This woman unfortunately suffered significant trauma as a child and must try to organize and make something of her life which had a rather fractured beginning. It's a short story, at only 16 pages (just over 5K words), so I don't want to describe too much. But the focus is on the themes of hope, purpose, death, aging and the meaning of a person's life in the face of significant trauma and drug use.

I would very much appreciate feedback and support for the story. If I'm honest, I feel a bit awkward recommending my own story. But I'm pretty proud of it and would like to do it again but I want to improve as well. Any support would be very much appreciated. If you have any questions please ask. I'm also new to Goodreads and this group so I may be a bit too vague when describing this story. But, again, I would appreciate any support offered.

You can find the book here; https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 2: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 395 comments You've done a great job of introing your work, Jason. I'll check it out when I'm not falling asleep :-)

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Richards (Jason_Richards) Thank you Renee!