Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > Round 21: November 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gisbelle (last edited Nov 30, 2014 06:50PM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments This is the battle between Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

If you have read both of them, please vote for the one you enjoyed more below.

Fangirl : 21
Anna and the French Kiss : 17

message 2: by ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix), snowflakes and eyelashes (new)

★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) (ladyknightnix) | 5530 comments Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell all the way!!! I liked the story and characters much better than Anna and the French Kiss. The characters, dialogue, and situations were believable and interesting to me. The description of the university setting and creative writing classes were extremely reminiscent for me of my own experiences! Anna and the French Kiss fell very flat by comparison.

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Nov 01, 2014 08:46PM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments although I lOVED Anna and the French kiss
I really fell for Fangirl -the way the two stories interwove and the friendship and love :)

so my vote: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

message 4: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I'll go with Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins as I didn't like Fangirl.

message 5: by Lady Night (last edited Nov 01, 2014 08:49PM) (new)

Lady Night (ladynight) | 176 comments I normally dislike all contemporary fiction. It just doesn't interest me at all. Anna and the French Kiss was no exception. But I was pleasantly surprised by Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell , and so that is my vote!

message 6: by Ecrivaine (new)

Ecrivaine Belle (ecrivainebelle) | 149 comments I'm with Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell too.

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 1057 comments My vote goes to Anna and the French Kiss!
I liked Fangirl, but not as much.

message 8: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments I liked Anna but I loved Fangirl. I listened to the audio of Fangirl and it was so well produced (with an old British voice for the Simon Snow part) which I feel added to my enjoyment of the story.

So my vote is for Fangirl.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Loved them both but have to go with Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell .

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments I loved Anna and the French Kiss!
So my vote is for Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) Voting for Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen I really loved both but in the end I'll go with Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

message 13: by Almita (new)

Almita I loved Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire Evangeline (lockerpaint) Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Fangirl was far better of the two.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 4409 comments I liked both books but I liked Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell better.

message 16: by Natalie (last edited Nov 06, 2014 05:03AM) (new)

Natalie I liked Anna and the French kiss but I absolutely loved Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell so that's my pick!

message 17: by Katherine (last edited Nov 05, 2014 12:51PM) (new)

Katherine | 2834 comments Definitely Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

I hate Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell with a fiery passion.

message 18: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments At least I'm not the only one who doesn't like Fangirl

message 19: by ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix), snowflakes and eyelashes (new)

★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) (ladyknightnix) | 5530 comments The Fangirl-haters still seem pretty outnumbered lol. What is it you guys hated about the book?

message 20: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 2834 comments Nicole wrote: "The Fangirl-haters still seem pretty outnumbered lol. What is it you guys hated about the book?"

I didn't like any of the characters, particularly the main character Cath. I thought she was whiny, annoying, needy, and b****y (excuse my language). I know it's probably because she has social anxiety disorder (I suffered from it throughout high school), but I found her to be immensely unlikable. And since I'm not a fangirl myself about anything, the amount of obsessing over something really got to me.

I hope I didn't offend you or anything. The book just wasn't for me :)

message 21: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I think so too, Katherine. I didn't like the characters and the storyline.

message 22: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 2834 comments Gisbelle wrote: "I think so too, Katherine. I didn't like the characters and the storyline."

I feel like we're the only two people on the planet that DIDN'T like this book, LOL!!!

message 23: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments lol yes, it looks that way.

message 24: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Kennedy | 419 comments My vote is for fan girl. both were good but fangirl was way better for me

message 25: by ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix), snowflakes and eyelashes (new)

★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) (ladyknightnix) | 5530 comments Katherine wrote: "I didn't like any of the characters, particularly the main character Cath. I thought..."

I'm not offended in the least lol. I understand everyone is entitled to her opinion, and not everyone is going to like every book :) I was just curious since the book was so relatable to me in many instances, being a creative writing graduate with a fellow English major friend who was almost identical to Cath for me! But everyone's experiences are different, and thanks for sharing!

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 53 comments I really liked them both...but loved Fangirl! Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

message 27: by Alyce (new)

Alyce Hunt (alliesaur) | 3 comments Fangirl absolutely has to be my winner. Both books had been on my TBR list for quite some time, so I was excited about both of them and wasn't biased beforehand, but Fangirl just pipped Anna to the post. I like Cath more than I liked Anna, and even though I felt like I related to Anna more because I also write reviews I just thought Cath was a much nicer person; Anna just seemed to get very abrasive very easily and it started grating on my nerves. However, I think I did like St. Clair more than I liked Levi through the majority of the book, so it was very close knit on the characters.
However I'm mostly basing my decision off of whether I would read a sequel or not, and even though I think I've heard that both other companion novels in the Anna series contain references to Anna and St. Clair, I'm not that excited to read that, but if there was a Fangirl sequel I would absolutely adore reading it and I would buy it the day it was released, so to me that proves that I favoured that book out of the two.

I wrote more in depth reviews on my blog if any of you guys are interested in reading more of my opinions :)

message 28: by Zalinia (new)

Zalinia | 130 comments I liked both of them, but Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins was a little better and more fun to read in my idea.

message 29: by Kim (last edited Nov 08, 2014 10:00AM) (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) Both were excellent. However, I think I enjoyed Fangirl more. I have never wished more that a standalone book was a series... The character development and dialogue in this book were outstanding.

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) I enjoyed reading both books equally, but my vote goes to

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Mostly because this book was more closer to me than the second one. I'm a fangirl myself and have a problem with talking to people, so I could relate to the main character better. And although I wish I could meet my Prince Charming in Paris, I graduated long time ago, so it's less possible ;).

message 31: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments That is an easy one. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I really loved Anna and the French Kiss, but I enjoyed Fan Girl just a bit more.

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 802 comments I love Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins so that's my vote!

I really did not like Fangirl at all.

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ahalfbloodfangirl) | 38 comments This one was hard...

I kept going back and forth because I think Fangirl is a better written story. It's more developed and the characters are more complex. But, I had to ask myself if I would read it again and the answer is probably not.

I loved Anna and the French Kiss so much. I wanted more after I put it down. I want to read it again (but a friend has it). It just made me smile when I was finished and it's been a while since I've read a book that made me all warm and fuzzy inside afterwards.

So, my vote goes to Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

Both are great though and should be read by any YA fan.

message 34: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 672 comments I would say Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

message 35: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) | 377 comments Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I dont know why. I just really loved it. Really loved it.

message 36: by Jessie (Saffity) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

I found I enjoyed this one more than Fangirl... I related way too closely to what Cath was going through and ended up sad, where as I could get swept away with Anna.

message 37: by joanna♡ (new)

joanna♡ I finished Fangirl this morning and really enjoyed it, but I had a couple of issues with it. I'm voting for Anna and the French Kiss, because I love it to death!

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

message 38: by Catarina (last edited Nov 16, 2014 08:17AM) (new)

Catarina Pimenta (catarinanevespi) I love both of the books for different reasons but Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins made me feel much more love for the characters, so I'm voting for it

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Lake | 249 comments Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss all the way. Fangirl just didn't hit home with me as much as Anna and the French Kiss even though Fangirl was a really good book.

message 40: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 23, 2014 01:30PM) (new)

Rebecca Fox | 1 comments i really loved them both and gave them 5 stars ... but my winner was Anna and the French kiss Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins

message 41: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (lacedaggerbooks) | 72 comments It has to be Fangirl. I've not read Anna and the French Kiss though.

message 42: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 418 comments My vote is for Fangirl! I gave both five stars but I thought the characters were a bit better in Fangirl.

message 43: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I think this may be the closest battle I've voted on for me. I loved them both and gave them both 5 stars ......

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell just edges it for me.

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Rosina wrote: "It has to be Fangirl. I've not read Anna and the French Kiss though."

You have to read both to vote don't you?

message 45: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I didn't add her vote to the total, so it's okay.

message 46: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 303 comments I am going with Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I was not impressed with the other book. It just didn't do it me.

message 47: by Diyah (new)

Diyah Hasanah (diyahnurhasanah) | 38 comments I'll vote Anna And The French Kiss, I've failed feeling the chemistry of Levi and Cath.

message 48: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins gonna love Etienne St. Clair! :D

message 49: by Paulina (new)

Paulina Maurovich (paulinamaurovich13) | 423 comments Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins I don't know. I loved Levi but Etienne was something special for me.

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess (jmor) I vote for Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell