What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Green Thumb
This topic is about Green Thumb
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young Adult/Teen Fiction/Sci-Fi, Boy interns at a secret lab in Amazon jungle [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments I think the edition I read must have been published in the late 90s or early 00s; the writing style implied that it was a recently-written book, but I don't recall if there was technology in it that would date it as definitely 90s/00s. It had a cartoony (almost Liechtenstein-esque) cover, with a stressed looking teen boy and a bunch of plant vines. I think it was a short title, with perhaps an exclamation point.
The main character was a unpopular and out-of-shape nerd, who got a summer job offer in South America. He went to work for a lab that turned out to be doing something shady involving plants. He runs away when it gets violent, and stays with the locals who are almost exactly the stereotypical jungle tribe from Hollywood, excepting one girl his age whose parents I think died and left her there by accident (idk, it might have been that her parents were tribespeople who left, died, and willed her to be returned to the tribe. She's the interpreter for them and understands the modern world). The one sci-fi element is that the boy figures out how to make the jungle vines move - I think there was some sonic command that worked with whistling. In the end, the bad guys are dead, he goes back to America, and after several months of running around a jungle he's fit enough to punch out his bullies. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38153 comments Mod
Rebecca, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments Still looking, and still have no idea. I only think that the author's last name was in the second half of the alphabet, based on hazy memories of where I found the book in the library.

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
I think this is Green Thumb Green Thumb by Rob Thomas

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments Yes, you're absolutely right! I could never forget that cover. :) Thanks for the find!

message 6: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Yay! Happy to help. The way you described the cover totally triggered my memory!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Green Thumb (other topics)