IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
This topic is about Sass & Sorcery
Book Discussions > November 2014 Graphic Novel: Rat Queens Vol. 1

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (persephone17) For November, we'll be reading Rat Queens as our graphic novel, and I'm super excited! I've been meaning to read this, but haven't gotten the chance, so this will be my motivation. Here's a synopsis:

Who are the Rat Queens?

A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they're in the business of killing all god's creatures for profit.

It's also a darkly comedic sass-and-sorcery series starring Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack!

This should be a super fun read! When you're done, add your review & comments below.

Elizabeth (persephone17) Can we please talk about how great this was? I read it last night, and LOVED it. So good! The main characters were actually realistic, ass-kicking lady warriors, and it was wonderful. Also I'm very interested to see where the plot is going. Can't wait for the next volume!

Cassie | 15 comments I haven't been very involved here, but just placed this book on hold at the library. ;)

Badschnoodles Genevieve (badschnoodles) | 89 comments I really enjoyed this book. I loved all the girls, although I wouldn't want them as neighbours!! I love the way they relate to each other and support each other rather than the standard 'female team' trope of bitching and competing with each other. From now on all my picnics will just be candy and drugs! ;)

Sarah (m_sarah) | 2 comments I didn't read this in November, I read this last summer, however I'm crashing this party anyway, I hope it's OK with you. :)

I loved that comic! I'm so impatient for volume 2 to come out. I loved it so much and the art was fantastic and I didn't realise this was written by a man before I googled the artists!

All the women are fantastic in this, I love them all. I just have so many feelings. And the sort of Lovecraftian cliffhanger? IIIIIIIIIIIII!

Elizabeth (persephone17) Sarah wrote: "I didn't read this in November, I read this last summer, however I'm crashing this party anyway, I hope it's OK with you. :)

I loved that comic! I'm so impatient for volume 2 to come out. I loved ..."

I can't wait for volume 2 either, the end of the first volume was such a cliffhanger! I think I appreciate this comic because the women are real. Now, not all women are cussing, drunken brawlers like the Rat Queens, but it's nice to see women like this portrayed. I think it's great they're not prissy fighters like some women in comics/video games/etc. can be portrayed as. However, it is a comic for a specific set of people. Very raunchy.

Becky Roney I loved this - I totally want to hang out with these ladies (although I'm fairly sure it might kill me!). Roll on volume 2!

Sarah | 15 comments This was such a fun book to read. I loved the combination of gritty and silly, and even more, I really appreciated how many different female characters were depicted. Really looking forward to Volume 2.

Cassie | 15 comments I had mixed feelings on this one. I love seeing chicks kick butt and play the leads that are often given to males. My main issue was probably the humor - it's not the kind of stuff I find especially funny. I want so badly to like this more. Perhaps it gets better? The concept is pretty great.

Elizabeth (persephone17) Sarah wrote: "This was such a fun book to read. I loved the combination of gritty and silly, and even more, I really appreciated how many different female characters were depicted. Really looking forward to Volu..."

Same! February, hurry up!

And Cassie, I completely understand. The humor is definitely not for everyone, but it is my cup of tea. I just love how completely themselves they are, no matter what everyone else cares. I do agree with Badschnoodles, I definitely wouldn't want them as neighbors!

message 11: by Jazmin Gonzalez (new)

Jazmin Gonzalez | 5 comments Rat queens was good