IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
Book Discussions > November 2014 Book of the Month: The Night Circus & As You Wish

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (persephone17) For November, everyone just pitched in suggestions for books we loved, wanted to read or thought would fit the book club, and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern won the vote....but, as a bonus, we're also going to reading As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes. How the extra book works is pretty simple: you can read both or either, and you'll get credit for a book. The more the merrier! Here are the descriptions:

The Night Circus:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

As You Wish:
From actor Cary Elwes, who played the iconic role of Westley in The Princess Bride, comes a first-person account and behind-the-scenes look at the making of the cult classic film filled with never-before-told stories, exclusive photographs, and interviews with costars Robin Wright, Wallace Shawn, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, and Mandy Patinkin, as well as author and screenwriter William Goldman, producer Norman Lear, and director Rob Reiner.

The Princess Bride has been a family favorite for close to three decades. Ranked by the American Film Institute as one of the top 100 Greatest Love Stories and by the Writers Guild of America as one of the top 100 screenplays of all time, The Princess Bride will continue to resonate with audiences for years to come.

Cary Elwes was inspired to share his memories and give fans an unprecedented look into the creation of the film while participating in the twenty-fifth anniversary cast reunion. In As You Wish he has created an enchanting experience; in addition to never-before seen photos and interviews with his fellow cast mates, there are plenty of set secrets, backstage stories, and answers to lingering questions about off-screen romances that have plagued fans for years!

As always, post your comments, thoughts, and questions for either book on here. If need be, I'll make separate threads for each. Happy reading!

Elizabeth (persephone17) Desiree wrote: "This means I need to download a copy of The Princess Bride to watch before or after I attempt to read this book...

As far as The Night Circus goes I really hope that people give it a chance. It wa..."

Thanks for mentioning that! I'm always one to question whether I should finish a slow book, so that's a helpful hint. Have you never seen The Princess Bride? You're in for a treat!

Becky Roney Ooh! Signed copies of As You Wish on Forbiddenplanet.com! Definitely getting me one of these.
https://forbiddenplanet.com/130203-as...

Badschnoodles Genevieve (badschnoodles) | 89 comments I absolutely loved The Night Circus. A few critics have said it's very slow and there was a bit of historical inaccuracy here and there but I thought it was amazing and beautifully written. I was captivated from the start. I'd love some spin-off stories about some of the other competitions.

Elizabeth (persephone17) Becky wrote: "Ooh! Signed copies of As You Wish on Forbiddenplanet.com! Definitely getting me one of these.
https://forbiddenplanet.com/130203-as......"

Oh my goodness, I definitely want!

Cecilia Kennedy | 13 comments The night circus is my absolute favorite, and I too am hesitant to finish books that start of slow, but this one is sooo worth it!! I wish Tim Burton would pick it up and make a fabulous movie!!

Cecilia Kennedy | 13 comments The night circus is my absolute favorite, and I too am hesitant to finish books that start of slow, but this one is sooo worth it!! I wish Tim Burton would pick it up and make a fabulous movie!!

Rachel | 11 comments Cecilia wrote: "I wish Tim Burton would pick it up and make a fabulous movie!!"

I actually thought about adding a line that I would recommend it for fans of Tim Burton/Henry Selick to the end of my review!

Danni N (odannigirl) So I am not too far into The Night Circus yet, but I'm loving it! I really enjoy how you're listening to story and in the middle of the section Morgenstern just throws in these statements and facts that make you have to do a double take. Like, did I read that correctly?!?!

My favorite one so far is when one character is (without trying to give things away) throwing knifes, and it's all internal monologue and then he says one thing and it gives a whole new meaning to the scene. Love it!

message 10: by Wendy (last edited Nov 23, 2014 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy (the_wendy_zone) | 11 comments I listed to the Jim Dale audiobook of the Night Circus and I loved it. I could really get lost in the story. It did make following the back and forth in time at first, but I got used to it.

Jennifer I really enjoyed this. I so want to visit the circus!

The going back and forth in time was a bit confusing and not really necessary, but it didn't spoil the tale.

Such a lovely book.

I heard somewhere that there might be another one written soon. Anyone else heard that, or is it just wishful thinking?

Wendy (the_wendy_zone) | 11 comments Desiree wrote: "I would have loved to have done a book club discussion of The Night Circus like this http://katejohns.blogspot.com/2012/04...

That looks fantastic! A Night Circus party would be lots of fun.

Elizabeth (persephone17) Desiree wrote: "I would have loved to have done a book club discussion of The Night Circus like this http://katejohns.blogspot.com/2012/04...

A fellow Iggle, (Tracey if I recall) actuall..."

Ah that is super cool! I wish we could all meet up and do a themed book club party like that. :)

Becky Roney Did anyone else read As You Wish? I was a wee bit underwhelmed to be honest. I love love love the Princess Bride but this just didn't grab me, I think I was maybe hoping for juicier behind-the-scenes titbits?