The Sword and Laser discussion

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
2014 Reads > DADOES: What Bladerunner should I watch?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments So, about a year ago I attempted to watch Blade Runner. I rented the Director's Cut, and halfway through the DVD just stopped working. But I thanked God I had an excuse to stop watching, because goodness no matter how beautifully shot that was, it was incredibly boring and confusing. I later found out that the director's cut was in fact not the director's cut at all-- some full cut or something was supposed to fix pacing and continuity issues (Like how the actual number of bad guy robots is not the same as the number given in expository dialogue; boy did that confuse me).

So with this pick I've considered giving the film a second go. What I wonder is, should I go ahead and try and find that Super Ultra Totally For Real The Director's Cut version? Or should I go back to the *original* version, since SUTFRTDC only came out relatively recently, and its the original version that made it a classic?

Ally (leopardqueen) I don't have a lot of input on this subject as I'm pretty sure I've only watched one version of it (and I actually didn't care for it). But I think I saw Final Cut and it seemed to be a fairly straightforward version. I just get the feeling that it is the most popular.

message 3: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Look for the wide screen versions(s).
You miss some of the noir with the pan and scan versions.
Beyond that it mail a matter over personal taste
(happy vs vague ending, etc)

David | 67 comments I don't know which version is the best, but there is a collection that gives you five versions: http://www.amazon.com/Runner-Annivers...

It's cheap enough that you could give them all a try, and sell it if you decide you don't care for it.

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren You should watch the Final Cut, but pretend the scenes with a unicorn never happen.

Lena Fickle (unicronq) | 16 comments I just picked up the 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition linked by David. I'm probably going to watch the Final Cut first when I finish the book.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments So consensus is Final Cut, even though Original Theatrical Cut is what made it a classic? That seems odd to me, but okey doke.

message 8: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
The Director's Cut & the Final Cut improved on what was a classic with a few minor flaws. Could it be improved further? Sure, but where and how could never be 100% agreed on. It's probably as good as it is going to get.

"In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned..." - Paul Valéry

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Rob Secundus wrote: "So consensus is Final Cut, even though Original Theatrical Cut is what made it a classic? That seems odd to me, but okey doke."

The film was a commercial and critical flop during its original release. Critics liked the visuals, but they savaged everything else, especially the narration. It really wasn't until the so-called "Director's Cut" that the consensus changed.

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1555 comments Before the directors cut came out, I remember having a tough time finding a VHS copy of Bladerunner. And when I did it was recorded in LP. It was the only commercial VHS tape I had that was recorded in LP. It was bought from a name brand store, and had a full box, but even as a kid of about 14 I remember thinking that was odd. Now I wonder if it was a pirated copy.

IIRC I never got a DVD copy, because I could never find the original version, only the directors cut. But then I bought the HD-DVD box set since it had both. Then a year later had to replace it with the Blu-Ray version. The only movie I've bought more copies of is Star Wars. Isn't technology grand.

message 11: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
John wrote: "The only movie I've bought more copies of is Star Wars."

Importantly, Do you have the only version that most Star Wars fans agree was the best?

Original theatrical release. (Han shot first. No "A New Hope" title. No added animation or special effects.)

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Ohh I had the history completely wrong then? It wasn't a cult classic until it was fixed up? That removes all my qualms, final cut it is.

Thank you all for your patience and willingness to educate!

Derek (raistlinsghost) | 81 comments Chiming in with a vote for Final Cut as well. The only caveat is that the much maligned voice over from earlier releases, which in my opinion actually adds an extra layer to the 'noirish' (I know, not a word) experience is removed from this version. The huge upside is that the tacky, silly happy ending from the theatrical release is gone and the intended ending is in its rightful place. Plus, unicorns.

Michael Holm (michs342) | 11 comments I have seen four of the versions of Blade Runner and in my opinion you either see the original theatrical release or The Final Cut.

The original theatrical release has as mentioned earlier some flaws in the storyline and an ending that doesn't really fit with the mood in the rest of the movie. The voice over in the original does give it a different feel than the Final Cut version.

In my mind the Final Cut is a much better story and the ending is fixed so the entire movie flows better. Unfortunately it misses the voice over narration that the original release has.

So for me the ultimate version would be the Final Cut with the voice over narration.

message 15: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3961 comments I recall the theatrical version being a cult classic. Still, I don't think there is a huge difference between the versions. You'll get the feel of the movie with any of them.

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1555 comments I guess I would say the original was a "cult" hit, as in a small but vocal following, and with the later reissue of the directors cut it became more of a mainstream iconic hit.