Mock Caldecott 2022 discussion

Mock Caldecott - 2015 > November Reads - 2015

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Nov 01, 2014 07:34PM) (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 263 comments Mod
The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee

Viva Frida by Yuyi Morales Viva Frida by Yuyi Morales

Gaston by Kelly DiPucchio Gaston by Kelly DiPucchio

Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett

The year is winding down and it won't be long until a Caldecott 2015 winner is chosen. What did you think of these?

message 2: by Jen (last edited Nov 02, 2014 02:45PM) (new)

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 79 comments The Farmer and the Clown--I read this one about a month ago and fell in love with it. To be honest I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I did. Since the cover is muted it didn't have big appeal to me. Once I began "reading" the story I was pulled in to the friendship that is formed in the book. I even stood in the parking lot with another teacher showing her the book...along with flashlight and Take Away the A. She wanted a list of all the books I was returning that day.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 79 comments Gaston--Read the digital copy. Enjoyed the story, but not a stand out.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 383 comments Viva Frida: The main body of the text is very short, in English and Spanish, and is not a biography, but a statement that Frida might have made as to why she creates her artwork. At the end of the book is a short biographical sketch of Frida in English and Spanish. The illustrations are photographs of beautiful puppets that Morales created from steel, polymer clay, wood, and acrylic paints. Surely it will garner a Belpre Illustrator award, if not a Caldecott mention.

message 5: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (palabrasdeluna) Loved this book!!!!

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen | 13 comments Sam & Dave Dig A Hole - I so so SO wanted to love this book, as I have been a huge fan of the work by both Mac Barnett & Jon Klassen. Unfortunately, this didn't quite hit the mark for me - probably a case of having such high expectations. The kiddo seemed to enjoy it though - it was a bit like pantomime ("it's behind you!") & lots of discussion about the mysterious ending. Has anyone else had the chance to read this one yet?

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 352 comments Helen wrote: "Sam & Dave Dig A Hole - I so so SO wanted to love this book, as I have been a huge fan of the work by both Mac Barnett & Jon Klassen. Unfortunately, this didn't quite hit the mark for me - probably..." I am a huge fan of this duo as well. Unfortuntely I didn't enjoy the story at all. Jon Klassen's artwork is stunning as usual.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 352 comments Kristen wrote: "The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee

Viva Frida by Yuyi Morales Viva Frida by [author:Yuyi M..."

I simply adore Viva Frida. If this title doesn't win some type of award in 2015 there is no children's book justice in the world. Btw, there is a lot of talk about William Grill's Shackelton's Journey winning the Caldecott. I believe he is a resident of England, however. Can someone verify if he can qualify?

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 383 comments Gaston: I think this is a very cute story and the acrylic paintings are adorable, but I don't think they are distinguished enough to be Caldecott worthy.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen | 13 comments Laura wrote: "Kristen wrote: "The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee

Viva Frida by Yuyi Morales Viva Frida by..."

Oh, I really loved Shackleton's Journey Laura. Unfortunately, unless you're an American citizen or resident published by an American publisher, you can't score a Caldecott. The man himself & Flying Eye Books are both definitely British. But such a great book - the illustrations were brilliant.

On your review, I'm off to order Viva Frida - I won't lie, it wasn't one that I would have had much interest in, but based on your entry, it seems I'd be crazy not to check it out!

message 11: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (palabrasdeluna) Beverly wrote: "Gaston: I think this is a very cute story and the acrylic paintings are adorable, but I don't think they are distinguished enough to be Caldecott worthy."

I really would like to know what "being distinguished enough to be Caldecott worthy" means.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 352 comments Helen wrote: "Laura wrote: "Kristen wrote: "The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee

Viva Frida by Yuyi Morales [book:Viva Frid..."

Thank you so much for the info! You will love, love, love, Viva Frida :)

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 383 comments Mayra wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Gaston: I think this is a very cute story and the acrylic paintings are adorable, but I don't think they are distinguished enough to be Caldecott worthy."

I really would like to kn..."

I guess what I mean is that, in my opinion, the illustrations don't bring anything new to the table of children's book illustrating. While I liked the illustrations in Gaston, I didn't think that they were outstanding or a cut above the illustrations of any other picture books I have seen that were published this year.

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggydean) | 5 comments I have comments that are more general. I've been following the discussion all year, but don't think I have ever chimed in. Of all the books you have discussed this year, my favorites would be either Three Bears in a Boat or Following Papa"s Song. I also love both Firefly July and The Right Word, but then I love everything that Melissa Sweet illustrates.

I wanted to see how the group feels about Draw! by Raul Colon. It's probably the book I am really cheering for this year.I also love the illustrations in Winter is Coming, written by Tony Johnston and illustrated by Jim LaMarche. Any opinions about these 2 choices?

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 383 comments Peggy wrote: "I have comments that are more general. I've been following the discussion all year, but don't think I have ever chimed in. Of all the books you have discussed this year, my favorites would be eithe..."

I thought Draw! was excellent; could be Caldecott or Belpre award worthy. I haven't seen Winter is Coming yet.

message 16: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 33 comments Viva Frida certainly has the most striking artwork of this bunch. I love the use of the stop motion puppets. Something about that is a little bit disturbing, the same way some of Kahlo's paintings can be hard to look at in real life. As an adult, I like the bilingual open-ended phrases of the text, but I will have to see how that resonates with actual kids.
As for the other three, I think they are cute, but would be surprised to see any of them win an award.

message 17: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 383 comments Sam and Dave Dig a Hole: A very humorous story, as the dog seems aware of all the spectacular things the boys just miss in their digging adventure. However, the ending was somewhat enigmatic--did they dream the whole adventure, or did they fall into an alternate reality? The digital and colored pencil illustrations are in muted colors, mostly shades of brown and a few other muted colors. But I don't see it as a Caldecott winner or honor book.

message 18: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 383 comments The Farmer and the Clown: I have admired Marla Frazee's illustration style for several years now. I really liked the somber, brownish gray back grounds against which the colors really popped. And each of the pages or panels expertly moved the story along. The story in this wordless book was very clearly depicted, so that children can readily see what is going on in each picture and how the story is progressing. I think it is worthy of a Caldecott mention.

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments Is Hooray For Hat! eligible? I was impressed by how much was conveyed in the spare illustrations and text. And second The Farmer and the Clown.

message 20: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 383 comments Karen wrote: "Is Hooray For Hat! eligible? I was impressed by how much was conveyed in the spare illustrations and text. And second The Farmer and the Clown."

Should be. The book was published in 2014 and the author/illustrator is a resident/citizen of the US.

message 21: by Ranell (last edited Nov 30, 2014 01:34PM) (new)

Ranell I really enjoyed Sam and Dave Dig a Hole! When I look at the cover I think of two boys digging a hole to China. Isn't that what you thought you could do when you were younger? Well...apparently there is some truth to that, maybe not China but someplace similar but DIFFERENT!! I loved the humor of the gems just out of their reach and of course the end with the OTHER house, cat & fruit tree.
I was surprised with my second choice Farmer and the Clown. The cover is not very interesting but the "story" within is very sweet and expressive.

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen | 13 comments I finally managed to get my hands on Gaston. I can understand why it's getting Caldecott buzz (the artwork, the overall theme of 'being yourself'), but I didn't love it as much as many others. "What looks right might not always feel right" - unfortunately, I think Christian Robinson's own words might sum up my feelings about Gaston.