Golden Age of Hollywood Book Club discussion

Captain Blood
This topic is about Captain Blood
Books 'n Reads > Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 88 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini.

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 88 comments Mod
Does anyone plan on reading this? I want to hear how it is and then I may join if I have time! :)

message 3: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2484 comments Mod
Sabatini is unjustly neglected these days. He was inventive, flairful, and baroque.

Originator of one of my favorite quotes:
"He was born with the gift of laughter, and the sense that the world was mad..." (from 'Scaramouche')

But really, my remark rather hints at a larger problem: who today would read such a book? I mean, among the general reading public? Who would have that kind of sensibility?

Reading literature or history takes a certain kind of imagination and depth in the reader. This 'quick-twitch' society we're in lately...does anyone read anything that isn't promoted, publicized, or touted with an ad?

message 4: by Betsy (last edited Dec 03, 2019 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betsy | 1900 comments If I can get a copy, I might read it. I really like the movie. (Captain Blood)

message 5: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 04, 2019 07:07AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2484 comments Mod
Noted for perhaps the best swordfight in cinema (Scaramouche, I mean)

Stewart Granger was almost killed on this flick if I recall arightly. He insisted that a dangerous stunt be tested first without him to see whether it would work as predicted. Saved his life.

message 6: by Betsy (last edited Dec 05, 2019 09:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betsy | 1900 comments I did get a copy of Captain Blood, not Scaramouche, which I have also seen, but I like the Captain better. So far, the early pages and the movie follow very closely. Naturally, the book is more detailed about the political background of James II, which is a cornerstone to the film and book. Arabella Bishop has just made her appearance so the 'action' is picking up.

message 7: by Betsy (last edited Dec 05, 2019 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betsy | 1900 comments The movie follows the book closely until the scene when Blood becomes involved with Levasseur and then the characters involved are not the same at all. I assume the film did this to feature Flynn and deHavilland more, which makes sense.

Betsy | 1900 comments The middle section of the book deals with Blood's adventures, which were not part of the movie, but now Arabella has made a reappearance. Interestingly enough the writers changed the part of the young Lord Julian Wade to the older Lord Willoughby. No competition for Captain Blood certainly. I am glad I am reading the book, but it does help to put a face to characters if you have seen the film.

Betsy | 1900 comments I finished the book. I like that the movie sticks fairly close to the book, except for the middle part. It's a bit dated due to subject matter, but if you like the derring-do movies of the 30s and 40s, it's worth a read. The Captain isn't quite Errol Flynn though. He's more of a 'romantic' nature, almost 'lovesick' at times. Flynn is a bit more 'stalwart' in attitude.