Fashion Book Lovers! discussion

Past Fashion Book Group Reads > Out-Of-Style: A Modern Perspective of How, Why and When Vintage Fashions Evolved by Betty Kreisel Shubert (19th century)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (last edited Nov 02, 2014 12:23PM) (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of Out-Of-Style: A Modern Perspective of How, Why and When Vintage Fashions Evolved by Betty Kreisel Shubert (19th Century). We will discuss the first half of the book on the 19th century. I've set up another folder for the 20th Century.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Got my book and ready to start reading tomorrow!

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Nov 02, 2014 12:33PM) (new)

I HIGHLY suggest taking notes while you read and keeping them with your book for future reference and/or typing them up. I wrote notes since I'm writing a review on my blog and am so glad I did.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Good idea - that way I can make sure I can join in the discussion better as well

message 5: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments Hi Hilary... Yesterday, I mailed you a decoratve, personal autograph that will stick onto your copy of OUT-OF-STYLE..I sent it from my home in Southern California,USA, so it should take a few days to arrve in the UK. If anyone else buys my book from Amazon, & would also like a personal autograph, please email me your postal & I will honored to send one to you,too.
Cheers!, bettyshubert@cox.net

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Thank you Betty! I look forward to getting it :)

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam D | 2 comments I have started reading this book! Love all the illustrations....they make me want to get out my watercolors!! Jamie, I agree, hi-lite or take notes.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) My autograph arrived yesterday (yay! Thank you Betty :D) and I plan to start reading the book tomorrow (hmm must make sure that Dragon is up and running for the note taking!)

message 9: by Jamie (new)

So what are some of your favorite things about this section? What interesting facts have you learned? I am working on my review this weekend so I will share that soon!

message 10: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments Hi Guys,I just learned yesterday. that my book, OUT-OF-STYLE , was a Finalist in the 2014 USA BEST Book Awards. It won in the Performing Arts, Theatre ,Film & Dance category. Strangely enough, contests do not offer the major categoty of Costume History which is in all libraries. To compete in "History" is to compare "fashion" with important world events....apples to oranges. Since OOS informs the needs of so many different researchers, I was gratified to be honored in this sexy category. The winner was, rightfully ,was a guitar encyclopedia Best, Betty Shubert

message 12: by Jamie (last edited Nov 14, 2014 09:59PM) (new)

Betty wrote: "Hi Guys,I just learned yesterday. that my book, OUT-OF-STYLE , was a Finalist in the 2014 USA BEST Book Awards. It won in the Performing Arts, Theatre ,Film & Dance category. Strangely enough, cont..."

Very cool! I'll be sending you an email this weekend to see if I can get permission to use a picture from your website for my blog. :)

message 13: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments Jamie, Glad to see the full-face photo of you. You are really very beautiful. You are a clasic beauty with an intelligent look about you.Looking forward to your Email,...On Nov.18th, Ancestry .com will begin my monthly contribution to their blog . It begins with my illustrated case histories showing how to time-date old photos by the style clues revealed in clothes worn by people in the pictues & even,learn something about their characters by what they wear & how they wear them. Best, Betty Kreisel Shubert

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Hmm just got one query, you stated the "Blue for Boys and Pink for Girls" quote, do you know when pink stopped being a colour for boys and blue for girls? I understand it used to be that way around because red/pink was the more expensive dye.

message 15: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments Hi Hillary,I never heard that the cost of dye was involved in this theory.I know that there are various anecdotes, quoted as fact... floating the internet, that only boys wore pink until after WW11. This is counter to my personal experience : I sold my first design to a manufacturer at age 13,,The year, 1938.My father was a stylish dresser & I had a little brother who never wore pink. I once was quite upset when my Editor in a magazine article I wrote, inserted this untrue anecdote (without my approval!) Here is what I do know:From the early 19th centuery, men & boys did not wear pink. In the 1950s, pink shirts for men were a sudden, overnight fashion for men. It was shocking! Soon every man it seemed ,was wearing a pink shirt with a dark grey suit & a skinny black tie. I searched the Sears catalogs to verify this & could not find one male garment offered in the color PINK!.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Hmm interesting! For a long while I have laboured under the idea that the colours were swapped around - I might contact/go to the V&A and see if they can shed any light on why that thought is doing the rounds!

message 17: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments Hillary, that would be wonderful. Let me know what you find. While there, do me a favor: some months ago, I sent the V&A book buyer info about OUT-OF-STYLE.As you know, I wrote a lot about how English designers influenced fashion around the world. I even have a photo of me surrounded by vintage costumes at the V& A...and, among the awards my book has received is OUR TOP CHOICE from The Family Tree Magazin UK...But, I never received an answer from them.Please tell them what they are missing! Best, Betty Shubert

message 18: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments Post Script from Betty: Re: the color pink being referred to as "light red". I have never heard this term before the "pink for boys, blue for girls " fairy tale surfaced: If you asked for light red in any fabric store, art store or paint store ,no one would know what you are talking about.In a life time of studying art & fashion, I never heard this term. There is "light blue, light green etc...but no light-red.Hillary, Was this the same in Europe?

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Pam wrote: "I have started reading this book! Love all the illustrations....they make me want to get out my watercolors!! Jamie, I agree, hi-lite or take notes."

Yes! They are so helpful. I love how Betty explained the evolution of the bustle!

message 20: by Jamie (last edited Dec 03, 2014 09:16PM) (new)

Hilary wrote: "Hmm just got one query, you stated the "Blue for Boys and Pink for Girls" quote, do you know when pink stopped being a colour for boys and blue for girls? I understand it used to be that way around..."

This may help. It makes good points and has references that you may be able to look up. Disregard the interesting web page name :)

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/r...

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) That's an interesting article Jaime, thank you!