Historical Fictionistas discussion

Kristin Lavransdatter (Kristin Lavransdatter, #1-3)
This topic is about Kristin Lavransdatter
Group Read Discussions > November 2014: Kristin Lavransdatter

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3683 comments Mod
And go! Mark all spoilers!

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Have read this and absolutely adored it. A head's up, though: make sure you get the version that was translated by Tiina Nunally. That is the more modern and accurate translation, and far more readable than the older translation which is filled with thees and thous in a misguided effort to make the story seem more historical.

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy I picked this up from the library and nearly fainted at the size. Guess it exposes my ignorance. I read the forward, and it gave me a good background for the book. I not sure I will make it through the entire book, but will try to at least read the first part.

message 4: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine | 53 comments I really, really want to read this book! I just don't think I will have time this month due to its length. I will have to keep it on my TBR for now.

``Laurie (laurielynette) Mary wrote: "One GR reviewer had it on a 10 star shelf"

Well I would agree with that particular reviewer. One of my favorite books.

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 298 comments I loved the old translation, last year bought the new. However it's on loan to my mother at the moment... she's enjoying... I've told her to join the group but I dunno.

message 7: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8017 comments I've just downloaded the kindle version. It's now on my tbr shelf... Along with many others!

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 7 comments I've never been active in this group, only lurking... But I would love to join this group read.

I remembered my mother had read this book (I think every year) when we were on vaccation in Sweden. So I checked her shelf and borrowed it. And I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

I'm reading a German translation which is definitely using archaic vocabulary, but in a good way. Very readable and coherent. (Not at all like some romance "historic" novels etc)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi! I'm new to the group and I actually joined because I saw you were reading Kristin Lavransdatter. I've been wrestling with this book for a little over a month now, and even though I blame the poor translation ( very outdated style, with not a trace of the evocative writing that people praise in the original) for my hard time with it, I have other issues with the book too. I'm looking forward to reading different opinions and I hope this will rekindle my interest in the story and characters... (view spoiler)

message 10: by Pedro (new)

Pedro Puech | 97 comments I will skip this one, for lack of time. Too much to read in the research for my new project. In the meanwhile, I am advancing our December homework, "All The Light (...).

message 11: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments Giorgia wrote: "Hi! I'm new to the group and I actually joined because I saw you were reading Kristin Lavransdatter. I've been wrestling with this book for a little over a month now, and even though I blame the po..."

Like someone, above, wrote, you need the Tina Nunnally translation!

message 12: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments FYI, I have been wanting to read this book forever. It was my mother's favorite book, and my middle name, Kristin, is after this book! My daughter's first name is Kristin, and my niece's middle name is Kristin. So I NEED to read this book, since I'm named after her and I'm 62 years old and have yet to read it, lol. I nominated it. Also, I just went to Norway for 3 weeks this past August, so another reason I MUST read it!!

message 13: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments We need to read 39 pages/day to get through the book in a month. I'm already behind, so I need to catch up!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah We can continue to discuss it once the month is over, right?

message 15: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Yes, the thread stays open indefinitely.

message 16: by Ioana (new)

Ioana | -8 comments I will not be able to read it for this month's discussion, but this book has been patiently waiting on my TBR for a while, so I think it's time for it. My library has the Tiina Nunnally translation, and I hear that's the one to read. Wish me luck :)

message 17: by C.P. (last edited Nov 05, 2014 03:50PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments I read the whole thing a few years ago, after putting it off for decades (mostly because of the length). I had very mixed feelings about it, loving some parts and finding that others really dragged. But it is well worth persisting.

You do know it's really three books in one, right? That's why it's so long. Maybe best to read The Wreath (also called The Bridal Wreath) the first month and go on from there.

Although it's possible to read the whole thing in a month. I did, with some skimming. Okay, rather a lot of skimming. ;-)

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy C.P. wrote: "I read the whole thing a few years ago, after putting it off for decades (mostly because of the length). I had very mixed feelings about it, loving some parts and finding that others really dragged..."
That's what I'm doing--just reading the first book. One reason is that when I read an excellent historical fiction book, I like to read background on the Internet. So I will be going slowly through The Wreath while learning about medieval Norway.

message 19: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti C.P. wrote: "Although it's possible to read the whole thing in a month. I did, with some skimming."

I read Gone with the Wind over one weekend, when I was 12...

But are you aware that there is also a movie made from the novel? I saw it years ago, thought it was ok.

message 20: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments I didn't know there was a movie. Who were the stars?

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 100 comments I didn't know either. I was able to find this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113576/?...

message 22: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti Yep, that's the one.

message 23: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments Must check that out. Thanks!

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 7 comments I didn't know about the movie eiter. I'll definitely try and check out the movie after reading the book.

Are you all reading an English translation? Or is someone reading the original? I'm reading a German one, but I've read some stuff about the different English ones. Would anyone be interested in doing a bit of a comparison of the translations? I'd be really interested in actually seeing paragraph in the different English translations.

The languge of the German text seems rather clear and simple to me, but it has a lot of archaisms. In my opinion the language fits very well and is very readable. But I've read such praise for the original language of Undset that I wish I'd be able to read the original text.

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 7 comments Judy wrote: "C.P. wrote: "That's what I'm doing--just reading the first book. One reason is that when I read an excellent historical fiction book, I like to read background on the Internet. So I will be going slowly through The Wreath while learning about medieval Norway. "

Oh, that sounds interesting! Would you mind sharing some interesting information sometimes? :)

message 26: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy | 13 comments I loved this book (though it took me a lot longer than a month to read!) and I have thought of structuring a college class in medieval religion around it, because I think Undset's history is so good.

message 27: by Judy (new)

Judy The_Freddy wrote: "Judy wrote: "C.P. wrote: "That's what I'm doing--just reading the first book. One reason is that when I read an excellent historical fiction book, I like to read background on the Internet. So I wi..."
I'll try to do that when it comes to facts. Undset's explanatory notes give good information. But since I am a visual person, I like to see pictures of places I'm reading about, portraits of prominent people, etc.
One thing I have found helpful is the Kristin Lavensdatter article on Wikipedia. They have a list of characters which helps me when the names are so different and I don't know how to pronounce them. There are also a chart showing the characters in the novel and a chart of the kings of Norway. I put that page on my iPad so I can go to it quickly. If I come across more, I'll post if people are interested. Things are piling up on me now--I haven't touched the book in over a week; so I may be reading this into December!

message 28: by Ioana (new)

Ioana | -8 comments Judy,
Thanks for the tip of using Wikipedia. I do that for kindle books, where flipping to the first (or last) page for family trees or other info is not easy. I print the charts, usually from the book's internet site, and keep them handy.

message 29: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments Darn it, I'm so bummed that I haven't been able to participate in the group read on this one. Work is kicking my butt and I can't find the time to read anything but research books at the moment. :( Really looking forward to starting it in late December!

message 30: by Judy (new)

Judy L.M. wrote: "Darn it, I'm so bummed that I haven't been able to participate in the group read on this one. Work is kicking my butt and I can't find the time to read anything but research books at the moment. :(..."

I'm in the same boat. Just busy right now. I read the first chapter or so, but my library will want "All the light you cannot see" soon. So I'm reading it in November, and will get back to Kristin in December.

message 31: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments I need to start it in late Dec too

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 7 comments I got about half way through the whole book and enjoyed it a lot. I felt then that it kind of slowed down a bit and I also felt the need to read something different, so I took a break for a couple of weeks now. But I'm planning on finishing the whole thing this year.

I particularly enjoyed the style and tone it is written in. Naturally I'm only reading a translation, but the language seemed very beautyful and readable to me.

message 33: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gleeson After a long absence this book has what has drawn me back to the group. I picked up the Nunally translation a few months ago when I discovered it online. I read the old translation when I was a teen because my mother named me after the main character. She'd had it on her book shelves for years. I was planning to read it this winter in the new translation because even when looking at the first page I can see that it's so different and apparently is closer to the original Norwegian. My nephew married a Norwegian and when I was over there in June they knew the book well, primarily from a film that was released a few years ago. :)

Christina  (christinawodonnelly) | 16 comments Hi, everyone. I’m new here and just reading this now. Oh, my goodness, Kristin Lavrensdatter? My high school’s World Literature class included a chapter of his book decades ago in the old translation, but I’ve never met anyone else who’d even heard of it before! Now, I find there’s not only a movie but a new translation? Amazing!