Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician, #1)
This topic is about The Paper Magician
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Holmberg, Charlie N ; The Paper Magician ; Start Date November 22, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 147 (147 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 01, 2014 04:56PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30937 comments Mod

What is a Buddy Read?

This is an "Informal Buddy Read"
An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

Book synopsis
One of the most remarkable, imaginative, and charming fantasy debut novels in years, Charlie N. Holmberg's The Paper Magician is an extraordinary adventure both dark and whimsical that will delight readers of all ages.

Ceony Twill arrives at the cottage of Magician Emery Thane with a broken heart. Having graduated at the top of her class from the Tagis Praff School for the Magically Inclined, Ceony is assigned an apprenticeship in paper magic despite her dreams of bespelling metal. And once she’s bonded to paper, that will be her only magic…forever.

Yet the spells Ceony learns under the strange yet kind Thane turn out to be more marvelous than she could have ever imagined—animating paper creatures, bringing stories to life via ghostly images, even reading fortunes. But as she discovers these wonders, Ceony also learns of the extraordinary dangers of forbidden magic.

An Excisioner—a practitioner of dark, flesh magic—invades the cottage and rips Thane’s heart from his chest. To save her teacher’s life, Ceony must face the evil magician and embark on an unbelievable adventure that will take her into the chambers of Thane’s still-beating heart—and reveal the very soul of the man.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 02, 2014 01:04AM) (new)

Buddy readers:
Cynthia
Kaora
Amanda
Renee
Stacie
Abbie
Khaoula
TheButerflyEffect
Megan

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Currently available from Netgalley here: https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/sho...

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14346 comments Mod
Is this where I admit the cover sucked me in (as did the free Netgalley download)? Boy I hope it is good :D

message 5: by Khaoula E. (new) - added it

Khaoula E. | 34 comments I also want to read this book, I want in!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I would like to join!

Abbie | 2575 comments The cover got me too, Kindle First!
1.99$

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Awesome!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments It's on Kindle Unlimited if you didn't get it from Kindle First. I got it when it was on Kindle First but never read it. I'm excited.

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

It's still available for free via netgalley too (as a "read now" so you don't need to be accepted)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I need to get in on this NetGalley business LOL.

I read this one last month, but I can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks about it. It's going to be hard to wait to read the 2nd book!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I noticed this on Netgalley and I was wondering if I should get it, so I guess this buddy read answered that question

Megan (celtic_girl) | 646 comments I'd like to join :)

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynthia wrote: "I need to get in on this NetGalley business LOL.

I read this one last month, but I can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks about it. It's going to be hard to wait to read the 2nd book!"

lol
the second book is available on NetGalley at the moment too :)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I registered with Net Galley, but I didn't really know what to put into my profile. Hi, I read a lot, I'm obsessed with reading challenges, and sometimes I even review what I read? Compelling.

I'll pick it up free in Kindle Unlimited. (Technically not free, at $10/month, but you know what I mean.)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4757 comments I might try to jump in with this one. I got this one on Kindle Prime Firsts and haven't touched it yet, but it's short and sounds intriguing AND has some good reviews from some friends. :)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I started this last night because I needed to read on my Kindle. I couldn't stop reading. I'm up to 50% now.
I wasn't sure how much I liked Ceony at first. She seemed too judgmental and unwilling to keep an open mind. I enjoyed seeing her open up. I think she's a great character.

The magic in this book is amazing! I love the thought that went into it. The paper Folding is brilliant. I imagine it looks something like this:

This isn't much of a spoiler.
(view spoiler)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4757 comments That good, huh? I need to finish up the two I'm reading now haha!

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah I'm a day or so behind.... I am trying to finish Undivided and Bayou Moon this weekend first :o

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapters 1 & 2

Well this has dragged me right in. Great pictures Amanda, they are exactly what I see in the book!

(view spoiler)

I'm really interested in the world and keen to read more!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I love the paper world, it's like magical origami. :)

Chapter 1-4
(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Here are my thoughts about Chapters 5 through Chapter 9.

Chapter 5 & 6
(view spoiler)

Chapter 7
(view spoiler)

Chapter 8
(view spoiler)

Chapter 9
(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Chapter 9 through Chapter 13

Mg Thane (view spoiler)

Lira (view spoiler)

Fennel (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Chapter 1 & 2
I love the paper magic. I loved origami when I was a kid. I remember sitting in the library on rainy days with an origami book, folding all kinds of things. The fortuity box in chapter 2 was a favourite.
description

So far it is mentioned that you can do magic with metal, paper, glass, fire, rubber and plastic - I wonder if there are any other types of magician?

message 25: by Kaora (last edited Nov 22, 2014 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaora (ophelja) Read up to Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@RachelvlehcaR
I love your little scissors as dot points ;)

I just finished chapter 7.
Mostly I agree with you so far about Ceony ; I'm not really sure about her character so far (view spoiler)

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Renee wrote: "Chapter 1 & 2
I love the paper magic. I loved origami when I was a kid. I remember sitting in the library on rainy days with an origami book, folding all kinds of things. The fortuity box in chapte..."

I loved making those too :)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments I love this quote
"How many others had she judged and set aside like that, thinking them no more than a one-sided piece of paper? "
She is realizing more depth in both the people and the paper.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Karen wrote: "@RachelvlehcaR
I love your little scissors as dot points ;)

I just finished chapter 7.
Mostly I agree with you so far about Ceony ; I'm not really sure about her character so far [spoilers removed]"

Thanks. :) I thought they'd be cute for this book. :P

I know I'm most likely one of the few that just can't connect with Ceony. :( (view spoiler)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Late to join in but I'm jumping in! It's on lending library in Kindle right now.

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just finished chapter 14

(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Karen wrote: "Just finished chapter 14 [spoiler]"

Reply to you comment up to chapter 14.
(view spoiler)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Just finished chapter 11 - love the lazy Sunday reading
(view spoiler)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Huh. I should join this one. I got it on one of the kindle first choices but haven't looked at it yet.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Here are my thoughts about Chapters 5 through Chapter 9.

Chapter 5 & 6

✂ I love the paper dog Fennel. He's so cute and whenever I read about him I just have to pet my Cura Bean. :) It would be..."

(view spoiler)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Kelly wrote: "Huh. I should join this one. I got it on one of the kindle first choices but haven't looked at it yet."

It's very good so far! :)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Just finished chapter 16
(view spoiler)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments And finished.
I enjoyed that. Happy with the ending and looking forward to the next book.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'm up to chapter 5 - don't have my ereader with me. The idea of having a magician work only with a certain medium is interesting. I don't think I've ever come across anything like the paper magic before. It was a bit weird reading about magic fortuity boxes though since I remember me and my friends making the non-magical version.

I too love Fennel. Not so sure on the characters yet but it's early days.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Renee wrote: "Just finished chapter 16
[spoilers removed]"

My reply to your comment.

(view spoiler)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I finished last night...and I may have gone on to read the next book immediately after...lol

I love whimsical books. The idea of paper magic really stirred my imagination and I loved reading the descriptions of all the little creatures Ceony made.
I'm so glad I read this one.

Cynthia (cynthiab) RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I know I'm most likely one of the few that just can't connect with Ceony. :("

I didn't connect with her, either. I liked her a little, but I'm mostly enamored of the other characters. I didn't rate this book highly, but I'm interested enough in the story that I have the 2nd book and plan to read it soon.

I know this thread was started because I wanted to BR The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2) by Charlie N. Holmberg . I don't think a thread has been set up for that one, though.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Cynthia wrote: "RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I know I'm most likely one of the few that just can't connect with Ceony. :("

I didn't connect with her, either. I liked her a little, but I'm mostly enamored of the other ch..."

I'll go ahead and set one up now.

message 44: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Thread for The Glass Magician is here. It just needs the start date.

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Thoughts on Chapters 1 & 2.

(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I signed up for the Glass Magician. :)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Through Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Through Chapter 11

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Well it was 40c here yesterday so I spent most of the day in the pool and didn't finish this, although my kindle tells me I only have 30 mins of reading to go. So hopefully tonight!

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Good book. :)

« previous 1 3