Nature Literature discussion

The Wild Places
This topic is about The Wild Places
Book of the Month > The Wild Places Discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Norman | 795 comments Mod
Please use this thread for your discussions about Macfarlane's The Wild Places.

Thanks and happy reading!

Andree Reno Sanborn (meeyauw) | 126 comments I have to admit that I am disappointed. We've read books from the UK and I felt it time to read a US book that is perfect for the upcoming season. I will read it because of Bill McKibben's endorsement, which is an awful way to choose a book, especially if you do not agree with the person's politics. But he is a Vermont native, so I'm going to take the plunge.

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 62 comments Sorry Andree, I will nominate a American book next time

Andree Reno Sanborn (meeyauw) | 126 comments LOL Thanks! Nominate that Winter World one. It's awesome and your bee guy in the UK loves Heinrich. Just sayin'!

message 5: by Becky (new)

Hi Wwilkins,

Sometime in the middle of November, I'll begin taking recommendations for titles to be considered for the December Book of the Month. Please remind me to add Will Harlan's book at that time. (I'll send out a couple of email reminders to the group to let you know when that's happening.)

Becky

Paul (waldenpond) I read Macfarlane's The Wild Places a couple of years back. Excellent book, well worth reading. Enjoy!

message 7: by Pam (new) - added it

Pam Kennedy | 79 comments Becky wrote: "Hi Wwilkins,

Sometime in the middle of November, I'll begin taking recommendations for titles to be considered for the December Book of the Month. Please remind me to add Will Harlan's book at th..."

Andree wrote: "I have to admit that I am disappointed. We've read books from the UK and I felt it time to read a US book that is perfect for the upcoming season. I will read it because of Bill McKibben's endorsem..."

I have to agree with Andree and may need to skip this month. Up to my ears in more local reading, "sense of place" fiction and some real work. I am sure it is a wonderful book but I need to prioritize...it will be on my someday list.

Andree Reno Sanborn (meeyauw) | 126 comments I finished October's book today and I am going to read this one. I have since learned since my first complaint that Macfarlane is an important nature writer. I'm now looking forward to it. And I'm also looking forward to the upcoming books.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Hi everyone,

Looks like this one slipped by me - we'd actually read it back in 2014, but it doesn't look like we had much response then so I've put it in as our December 2019 Book of the Month. Hopefully this time we get more participation and commentary!

Becky

message 10: by John (new)

John R Nelson | 13 comments I thank this group for leading me to MacFarlane, for he was new to me and "The Wild Places" is an excellent book. MacFarlane achieves what I strive for in my own nature essays: he vividly evokes the look and feel of particular places while providing enlightening knowledge about natural history--the "isotatic rebound" after glaciers, the evolution of mapmaking--and artfully integrating quotations and anecdotes from authors ranging from Thomas Hardy in "The Return of the Native" to "The Physics of Blown Sand and Desert Dunes." He shows us how much of the natural world we have lost but also expresses the love of the wild that is the essential grounding for any conservation effort. Good stuff.

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 62 comments He is a fantastic author, John. I haven't met him yet, but he does follow me on Twitter

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 13 comments I've just started this ( I've really not been reading enough lately! ) and am immediately blown away. MacFarlane writes with that prose that seems effortlessly beautiful ( though that must take so much work to achieve ) and, on the surface, simple language.