/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1)
This topic is about The Goblin Emperor
2014 Book Club Discussions > November 2014: The Goblin Emperor - First Impressions and Spoiler Free Discussion

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Nov 01, 2014 04:07PM) (new) - added it

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Alright, this is the initial thoughts/discussion thread for The Goblin Emperor. Please remember to keep this thread spoiler free, and use the other thread for anything containing spoilers. Thanks!

Matt Hageman The cover and description look awesome. Ordered this book when it looked like it was going to win, and can't wait for it to come this week so I can start it!

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments I too love the cover and description of this book. I started listening to it via audible - so far so good!

Michael Toth | 30 comments I've been stuck in a darker fantasy rut and I'm excited to read something different. Can't wait to start it.

Paul (paul_sff) So I decided I'm going to give it a try and ordered it from B&N. We'll see.

Mitch (ophiuchus0) | 5 comments The description doesn't sound intriguing to me, but I'll try to come at it with an open mind.

Evgeni Kirilov (argentsun) Description doesn't sound terribly original (other than the goblin part), but I've heard much good about it, so I am hopeful.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments I'm only through the first three chapters...but here are my first impressions. Very well done. I'm usually a tough critique, but I like just everything about this book, especially Maia. Katherine does an exceptional job with intermixing world building and characterization while moving the plot along and giving me breadcrumbs that lead me seamlessly to the next page.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Evgeni wrote: "Description doesn't sound terribly original (other than the goblin part), but I've heard much good about it, so I am hopeful."

I'll take good execution over originality anytime, and so far I'm finding this book is indeed hitting on that cylinder - hope you find it entertaining as well.

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Herriman (nelliewindmill) | 5 comments I'm really struggling with the "thee" and "thous" so far. I'm running out of eye-rolls.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments @Katherine,
Yeah, those bugged me when starting out too. I'm not noticing them so much now...not sure if they are less or I'm just seeing past them.

message 12: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt Hageman Just received the book and now into it a few chapters. I feel like I'm translating the thee, thy, and so on, but it really doesn't bug me. Changes it up from other fantasy books which I like! Good start and hoping it will build.

Susan | 4 comments The 'thees' and 'thous' also annoyed me at first, but I got used to them. What bothered me more I think are some of the names and titles I think. It's nice to be original and the plot seems okay so far (about 4 chapters in) but sometimes I just want to be like 'can they add a pronunciation guide or direct me to a website where I can hear what these are supposed to sound like?' The writing is pretty solid otherwise.

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Herriman (nelliewindmill) | 5 comments Nemi wrote: "What bothered me more I think are some of the names and titles I think..."

Yep, the unpronounceable names/titles are bugging me too but to a lesser extent. I'm confident I'll get used to them but I'm not sure the thees will ever not be annoying.

message 15: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Wright | 33 comments Nemi wrote: "What bothered me more I think are some of the names and titles I think."

When I got to the first apostrophe in the middle of a name...

Michael Toth | 30 comments We feel the names and archaic pronouns are a much needed change of pace from all the "new wave" fantasy we have been reading lately. Let us enjoy the rest of the book as much as we like the start. Sorry, it's hard for us to get out of thinking like this.

message 17: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J (koor) | 11 comments The titles/names bothered me as well. It took me way too long to realize that I was reading about many different women with a strange title instead of just one woman.

Susan | 4 comments There's a guide in the back of the book that I read, though I still remain puzzled at some of the pronunciation. It helped some, I got used to the Elfish names and then they started throwing in goblin titles and names. I was annoyed BUT then I wondered if secretly some brilliant strategy that the author did this so we could feel as lost as Maia. At least this is what I will tell myself. Despite these little nitpicks, I'm still enjoying the book quite a bit (about halfway through).

Michael Toth | 30 comments The hardest part for me is the use of "an" in place of "if". Maybe I'm not the most well-read person but I've never encountered it before and by the sixth time I saw it, I still wasn't used to it. That's throwing me off more than anything but at around 1/3 through, I find myself identifying with Maia more and more(take from that what you will).

Justin  (junky8687) | 27 comments I just started but so far am liking it. I agree with others about the names being hard to pronounce. The plot is very engaging so far, and I am really enjoying the court politics.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Nemi wrote: "The 'thees' and 'thous' also annoyed me at first, but I got used to them. What bothered me more I think are some of the names and titles I think. It's nice to be original and the plot seems okay so far (about 4 chapters in) but sometimes I just want to be like 'can they add a pronunciation guide or direct me to a website where I can hear what these are supposed to sound like?' The writing is pretty solid otherwise. "

I'm listening to it on audio book so the names are probably easier for me than reading them. Still, even with someone handling the pronunciations there are some complicated names in there. Mercifully, the main character has a simile one. ;-)

message 22: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul (paul_sff) Just a heads up for those that haven't gotten the book yet or know someone that wants it but hasn't gotten it yet, bookoutlet.com has a few copies for cheap.

Lucinda | 57 comments This book has been a real pleasant surprise.

I usually give a book until the 20% mark to capture my attention before it goes into the large pile of "I'll finish it later" but, by the end of the third chapter I was enchanted with Maia.

Michael Toth | 30 comments I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler. If it does, feel free to lynch me. But does anyone else think Lord Berenar is going to turn out to be a bad guy?

message 25: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments I started this and am enjoying it, it's a lighter change of pace type book for me (I don't read much YA, but so far this one is working for me)

I'm listening to the audiobook, so luckily don't have the struggles with pronunciations that some have mentioned. Also haven't noticed the thees and thous in this format.

message 26: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric (koteric) | 10 comments Just got my copy, will give impressions on the first half or so later today.

message 27: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments I'm about 20% in and honestly just not that into it and feeling a bit impatient, so I think I'm going to switch books for a while and will hopefully be in a better mood for it later.

message 28: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J (koor) | 11 comments Nemi wrote: "There's a guide in the back of the book that I read, though I still remain puzzled at some of the pronunciation. It helped some, I got used to the Elfish names and then they started throwing in go..."

The problem with guides in the back of the book or listings of names is that you never know about them until you've finished when reading on kindle. Sure, I could opt to go to the end of the book, but that would ruin my furthest read point and might lose my page.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Lisa wrote: "(I don't read much YA, but so far this one is working for me."

Hey, I didn't know it was YA - good to know. That might be one of the reasons why I'm enjoying it. Sometimes YA seems to fit my style of reading better.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments J wrote: "The problem with guides in the back of the book or listings of names is that you never know about them until you've finished when reading on kindle. Sure, I could opt to go to the end of the book, but that would ruin my furthest read point and might lose my page."

I know...right. I'm struggling with this right now, because beta feedback told me that people were struggling with some of my "world-specific" items. So I made a terms & definitions section, put it in the table of contents, but ALSO mentioned it in the author's note. I hope that's enough to get it noticed so that people know it exists.

How to solve the "furthest point read" issue - I have no idea - because I don't want the "preview" to be all terms and definitions which they would be at the front.

message 31: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul (paul_sff) I am only 50 pages in but I'm enjoying Addison's writing style quite a bit. I'm writing down characters as I come to them to remember them easier and so far so good. I'm hoping that something dramatic will happen in the next 50 pages or so though, maybe an assassination attempt.

message 32: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Herriman (nelliewindmill) | 5 comments Ugh, I'm only 15% in and this book is sapping my spirit. There is absolutely zero world-building going on here. This could be our world, although one in which royalty are relevant. We are told that these folk are elves and goblins but the only cultural difference I can discern is that their ears are expressive. The author had a valuable opportunity with the funeral to be creative and establish some rich cultural customs and belief systems but what do we get? A flippin church and graveyard and what is basically a priest?! I feel like the author has put so little thought into this world and its people that i actually feel a little insulted. Like when I walk into a modern art gallery and someone's nailed a rusty piece of corrugated iron onto the wall and called it art (real life example). I usually read a minimum of a third of a book to give it a decent chance before abandoning it but I don't think I have it in me.

message 33: by Simon (last edited Nov 18, 2014 12:41AM) (new)

Simon Ellberger | 18 comments Lisa wrote: I don't read much YA, but so far this one is working for me
This book is not considered YA.
J wrote: Sure, I could opt to go to the end of the book, but that would ruin my furthest read point and might lose my page. Just bookmark your furthest read point right before going to the end of the book. When you return, delete the bookmark.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments @Paul - it's not really big on "plot" (things move slowly) but the characters are likable and the writing well done - so I'm pleased.

@Katherine - I didn't get the same impression. But, having just come of City of Stairs -- which I think had TOO much world-building and not enough character - it may just be that we look for different things in our preferred reading.

@Simon - excellent tip.

message 35: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul (paul_sff) @Michael - Yah, I'm up to page 200 at the moment and the characters and writing strength is making me continue to read. I had to use my dictionary a couple times which is always a plus. I'm hoping for more interpersonal relationships between Maia and others soon. The little guy needs some friends and love! :P

message 36: by Frances (new)

Frances | 14 comments I'm enjoying the writing style, and Maia too. But who ever heard of elves and goblins getting it on?

message 37: by Paul (last edited Nov 20, 2014 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul (paul_sff) Edited from originally asking about forms of address because I just realized that right BEFORE the listings of people and places that there is a guide for it.

So for everyone, on page 431 there is a guide to the pronunciation and forms of addressing people.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Paul wrote: "@The little guy needs some friends and love! :P "

Agreed. He comes off as "such a nice guy" errr goblin and yet no personal connections. He deserves a break.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments @Frances - love knows no bounds!