Classics for Beginners discussion

Northanger Abbey
This topic is about Northanger Abbey
Archive 2014 > November 2014: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 772 comments Mod
This is where we can start discussing Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey.

Jenn (bookworm1984) This is one of my favourites of Austen's works. The first half is so light and amusing and I also really enjoy the juxtaposition with the darker tones of the second half. Having the two different tones adds a depth to the work that go along with Catherine's realization of people's nature.

message 3: by ☯Emily , moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just curious if anyone is reading this book which had 40 votes.

Maybe we need some questions. Please pick one and comment on it.

1) What is the main theme of Northanger Abbey?

2) What is the effect of using the Gothic novel as a running theme in Northanger Abbey? In what ways does the Gothic novel help to frame, or set-up, the plot of Northanger Abbey?

3) Catherine is inexperienced and innocent at the beginning of the novel. How has she changed by the end of the novel? What has she learned about people in the process?

4) What makes Catherine think the General murdered his wife?

5) Jane Austen uses free indirect discourse to reveal her characters. Do you know what free indirect discourse is? If so, show the advantages of its use. What is the effect of it in scenes like the one in which Catherine opens the mysterious cabinet?

6) What is the climax of the novel?

RitaSkeeter I'm a non NA voter as I had re-read it only a few months before the poll. It's a great book though - one of my favourites of Austen's, even if it is a parody.

In answer to number 6, for me the climax was when Catherine was suddenly ejected from Northanger.

Aside from the humiliation of being requested to leave, Catherine realises that General Tilney, although not the murderer she had once thought, was shown to be unkind, rude, and thoughtless of the impact his decision would have on his young guest. Then again, maybe he wasn't thoughtless but rather just didn't care.

It must have been quite shocking for a young girl like Catherine to need to travel some distance unaccompanied.

Lesley | 19 comments I'm a bit behind; have just started reading this today.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) I missed this before, but I'll be reading this during April if anyone else is interested in joining!

message 7: by ☯Emily , moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

You can continue to comment on book until the thread gets closed.

message 8: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I haven't read this in several years, but I really liked it when I did. I love the idea that she did a satire of a gothic.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) I have finally started this today. I really like it so far!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Catherine struck me as a really silly character. I enjoyed the story, but would have liked a heroine with more backbone.

message 11: by ☯Emily , moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hilarious reading of this book in two parts. http://www.reviewfromsaturday.com/jan... and http://www.reviewfromsaturday.com/271...

message 12: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) One of my favorite of her books. You have to remember she was writing it as a satire or send-up of gothic romances which were all the rage in her day.