Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > November 2014: The Time Traveler's Wife

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive back at the library.
I don't know anything about this novel, it's almost like a bookish blind date. The only thing I remember is there was a movie nobody seemed to care about. I haven't seen it, but then I'm traumatised by Eric Bana as unbearable Hulk.
What about you? Has anyone seen the adaptation before? Or are any fun facts about the book at hand?

Jeatherhane Reads (jeatherhane) I really liked the movie. I thought it was pretty close to the book. I loved this book. If you're anything like me, you'll need lots of tissues. :)

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Heather wrote: "I really liked the movie. I thought it was pretty close to the book. I loved this book. If you're anything like me, you'll need lots of tissues. :)"

I love sad stories, and having a good cry for fictional characters :)
If I like the book, I might try that film, but I have a feeling it could be too kitschy for me.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I've seen the movie a couple times, so it was challenging for me to really get into the book at first. (This is a very rare instance where I read the book after seeing the film.) After 100 pages or so, I was able to start embracing the book as its own entity. Seeing the movie first, though, was a bit of a spoiler. Still enjoyed

message 6: by Book Concierge (last edited Nov 10, 2014 01:02PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1208 comments I read this in 2011 and gave it only 2** ... I know that many people really liked this book, but basically, I was bored.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I finally started reading The Time Traveler's Wife today, and it seems to be a quick read. For now I'm neither bored nor intrigued. I hope there's more to come, I'm at a point where something new needs to be introduced, else I will get bored soon...

message 8: by Gail (last edited Nov 11, 2014 08:21AM) (new)

Gail | 57 comments I finished The Time Traveler's Wife last night. I gave it three stars, but I think the book deserves either more or less. I could not put the book down. Every time I started to get bored, something would happen, or it would feel like something was going to happen.
I liked the protagonists, but Henry would just be creepy and manipulative in real life. (view spoiler) The story seemed to "jump the shark" (view spoiler).
As I'm writing this, I'm thinking maybe I just didn't "get" this book. Help me look at it in a different light. Thank you.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyhendrix22) | 48 comments I love this book. I unfortunately didn't have a chance to read this again this month. I think the idea of a time traveling love story is really interesting. I didn't much care for the movie, but the book is definitely one of my favorites!

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I finished the book too. In the end, it was only just okay for me. Actually I'm disappointed. It was pure Romance, with time traveling as a desease! I was in for at least a hint of action. Instead I got a quite straight forward love story (which is kind of ironic in a time travel book). Blame Doctor Who, but this was one of the most disappointing reads of 2014 for me.

message 11: by Gail (new)

Gail | 57 comments Iselin wrote: It was pure Romance

That makes sense. I was reading the book as sci-fi / fantasy, which made it a really creepy story. (See my comments above.) But it makes sense as a romance. I don't read romance novels, so I didn't have anything to compareThe Time Traveler's Wife to.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Same here, Gail.
Maybe for romance readers it's a nice diversion from the usual, but as a scifi reader, it just isn't enough of anything.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have just started this book, but so far I am finding it a very interesting read. It can get a little confusing, which was my mom's complaint when she read it, but it's an engaging story. Definitely hard to keep in mind a timeline for the plot, but I guess that's to help the reader sympathize with Henry!

message 14: by Demetra (new)

Demetra (dedra_de) | 80 comments I enjoyed this book! I'm not a romance reader, but based on the movie previews (haven't seen the movie) and the book's description, I was expecting a love story.
There were some things I was left wondering about, though, like (view spoiler)
Overall though, I thought it was a decent book.