Old Books, New Readers discussion

Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Crusoe, #1)
This topic is about Robinson Crusoe
Archived > 2014 November Book- Robinson Crusoe

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Nov 01, 2014 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments The new month is upon us and thus too, a new book. This months book was chosen in our monthly poll and was written by Daniel Defoe. Robinson Crusoe is free on goodreads by clicking the link, you may also get it from amazon for free and of course your library no doubt has a copy.

Please join us in our reading, putting all discussion of the book here and if you write a review you may put that up in here as well.

message 2: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) I am looking forward to being part of the discussion. Robinson Crusoe has always been on my list of books to read.

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments I'm just about 1/3 of the way through and I'm enjoying the book. But I may have missed something that's led to quite a quandary for me. Just how does one catch a parrot, anyway?

I'm also wondering what kind of sticks that you can cut off and plant as a fence, only to have them grow into trees. Does bamboo do that?

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments I don't have many dietary restrictions, but I have to agree with Mr. Crusoe that Friday is not for meat.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I finally got around to starting the book, and I just past were it transferred into journal forum. Very interesting stuff.

I was a little abhorred to think Robinson was going to sell that poor boy who helped him escape slavery, but felt better when the boy agreed to it.( I happen to believe man should have the right to sell himself into slavery.)

Something I notice once Robinson got to the island was, there was very little complaining. He was sad and depressed, but what he writes about most is what he was doing, regardless of how he felt. I feel (There I go doing the thing I am about to complain about.) too many modern books focus solely on how the charters feel, and use it to justify bad things the charters do.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Perhaps I spoke too soon about talking about his feelings a great deal. Now I am little a further in and he does speak a good deal on how he felt, but it never used it as an excuse to do anything. He did what needed done. He even says many times his feelings were unreasonable.

On another note he is the most industrial man I have read of. Moving all those supplies about must have been very boring work, but like Robinson said, it's not like he had anything else to do. I just got past the part where he made his clay jars. I would never have the patience to keep trying after so many failures.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

almost finished! I got a late start, but have nearly made it. I really enjoyed the beginning, which I felt moved very quickly. I do feel though that he repeats himself often, telling about a future occurrence, relating it, and referring to it later, etc. For me, it is a bit tiring to hear the same events over and over again, e.g. the proliferation of the cats, which he has told 3times so far. Besides that, I have enjoyed it very much so far. some of the ideas are antiquated, but classics stay classics for a reason!

message 8: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Dec 27, 2014 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I haven't finished yet, the book, while interesting, it not right for the "mood" I'm in. I took a break from it last week, this week I will try again to finish it.

I just got past the part where a foot print was found.

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments Finally done! I was sweating out, thinking I was only half-done when I realized that the rendition I purchased has both Robinson Crusoe and The Further Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe.

While I enjoyed the story, the writing style didn't make me eager to get back to it, so I think I'll skip the "further adventures" for the time-being.

message 10: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora (lorabanora) While I enjoyed my read of this book, it wasn't one I would return to, either. I did enjoy this aspect in particular: chapter after chapter had to do with keeping busy, surviving, making the various implements of house hold living. But after so many chapters of his lonesome busy self, that footprint, for me, really just came out of nowhere. It was a powerful scene because I had gotten used to his new solitary life. It was a stunning revelation to stumble across a human footprint.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I agree with you Lora, that was very jarring.

I did finish I think on the last day of November.

message 12: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Noelle (mnoelle) | 31 comments Read for the catch-up challenge... I loved this book so much! My copy had both Robinson Crusoe and the Further Adventures tied together, which makes sense. A little more than halfway through the book I was thinking "All these things that are happening now are very random. Now he's in China, now he's in Russia." Began to feel a little like Around the World in 80 Days. Then I realized I was reading what was originally the "Further Adventures" and it made a little more sense. The last thirty pages of this book were rough for me. I couldn't see how he was going to wrap this story up because so many new things kept coming into it. The ending did feel a little abrupt and awkward too. Basically, "Yep. That all happened. Now I guess I'll just wait for death. Bye."

I'm really glad I read this book though. I knew it was about a castaway, so I figured this was basically just his whole life on this island. It was much more than that though, in fact that just seemed like one period of his life. Very enjoyable for me, except for those last 30 pages.