The Young Adult Historical Fiction Society discussion

My Brother Sam Is Dead
This topic is about My Brother Sam Is Dead
2014 Group Reads > My Brother Sam is Dead, by James Lincoln Collier - November's Read

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charmaine (new) - added it

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 276 comments Mod
Here is the discussion topic for "My Brother Sam is Dead." I've been wanting to read this book because I love American revolutionary war history :-)

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Miller (takecourage) | 2 comments This book shows the difficult situation families are in when they are divided politically. It's just so much more extreme when a war is going on. It raises the questions of how a family can even survive when both sides are so passionate about their feelings. Same thing happened in the American Civil War when it seems that the country was fighting a second revolution to determine to what extent the country was going to value freedom for all.

message 3: by Charmaine (new) - added it

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 276 comments Mod
I appreciate your input, Dee. It's sad how war divided families and friends. It seems like that during the American Revolutionary War you could not stay neutral and had to make a choice.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee Miller (takecourage) | 2 comments Yes, it was that way in the Civil War, especially in the border state of Missouri, which I've done extensive study on in recent years and written about. For people to be against war meant they were "unpatriotic." To me, that's the saddest part. Why isn't there a third choice--diplomacy--that can be respected? That's what I keep asking.

How a guy like Sam managed to keep his sanity is beyond me!