Book Marketing for Authors discussion

Good Food, Great Business: How to Take Your Artisan Food Idea from Concept to Marketplace
This topic is about Good Food, Great Business
Seeking opinions: best way to provide "extras" to readers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Nov 01, 2014 11:01AM) (new)

Susie Wyshak (susiewyshak) | 5 comments Hi all,

My book offers copious "starter templates" for readers. I'd love ideas for ways you've seen this done that does not require a ton of hassle for readers but has enough barriers that non-readers won't instantly get access.
One thing I'm thinking is "type the last word on page 274." (I do know this word could get out into public domain, and I suppose that'll be a good problem to have.) :)

The templates will be Google Docs I share with "anyone who has the link," the goal being that I can continually improve them vs. emailing a zip file with local files.

Would love any thoughts! Thanks so much.

Susie

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

One thing I've tried to sell more books is to offer some PDF files to anyone purchasing during the period. To qualify, they have to email me the proof of purchase from Amazon or Kindle.

That gives me proof of purchase and the address of a book purchaser.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Wyshak (susiewyshak) | 5 comments Interesting - thanks for the great idea to create urgency. I'll be doing that too (and do frequently download PDF extras that authors offer).

I'm leaning toward making the templates publicly available, and make it clear that they are immensely more useful with the book.

message 4: by Florence (new)

Florence Ditlow (florenced) | 8 comments This is a bit off the subject, but I launched a novel and gave hard copies to book reviewers. I was interviewed then via radio in the town where the story was set. I wish on air, I had made an offer to the first 25 people to come to the bookstore for an autographed copy. As it as happened, the show attracted only three people on a Saturday afternoon. I got a great turnout of friends thank the bookgoddess.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Wyshak (susiewyshak) | 5 comments That's a cute idea to have an event in the location. I'm sure the locals were into it!

message 6: by Florence (new)

Florence Ditlow (florenced) | 8 comments Susie wrote: "That's a cute idea to have an event in the location. I'm sure the locals were into it!"
Hi Susie,
When it's historical fiction, it's likely that books will sell in the neighborhood where the story took place. I succeeded better with newspaper and radio than I did in creating a following pre book launch.
Are you launching a book?
Florence

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 61 comments I've read your comment 3 times and I still have no idea what your asking lol. I don't mean any offense, it's just coming off to me as if it's written in code. Are you asking if there's a better way for readers to comprehend what your saying in your book without coming off as though your pushing the ideas to them? That's what I got out of it, I hope I'm somewhat right. I must say you certainly have a way with words.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Wyshak (susiewyshak) | 5 comments Hi Justin,

Lots of authors offer "extras" to readers online to enhance the book content. I was trying to figure out a way to do this without giving the content away to everyone, even people who didn't buy the book.

In the end I decided anyone who subscribes to my email can access the online templates. And hopefully they'll find the book valuable enough to read.

Florence - yup, the book is Good Food, Great Business - goodfoodgreatbusiness.com

Thanks all!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Stuart | 16 comments I'd be interested to know how writers struggling to get noticed at all create an email list.

Any suggestions, other than buying them and getting them rejected as "spam", welcome.

I get emails about all sorts that way. I delete and bar them. I would be interested if they were about books, especially if I'd read one by the author.

As an author, I'd like to connect with readers. Until I can do that I can't offer to give anything away and I do have a paperback,

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 61 comments Susie,
thanks for clearing that up. Providing extras is a great little idea and the last page idea could work as long as you have a page 274 lol.