J.D. Robb discussion

BOM Authors - To Be Continued > BOM Author Sandra Brown - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Nov 01, 2014 02:53PM) (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10394 comments Mod
We have enjoyed two of Author Sandra Brown's books in our Book of the Month reads (Mean Streak & Deadline). Several members have expressed a desire to continue reading & discussing her books. Please join us as we explore more of this amazing author's work. Below is a link to a list of Sandra Brown books. Feel free to post titles of the ones you would like to see the group read in the future. Our first book will be Mirror Image.

Who is Sandra Brown?

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers. You will find her books here: Sandra Brown Book List

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over seventy novels, bringing the number of copies of her books in print worldwide to upwards of eighty million. Her work has been translated into over thirty languages.

A lifelong Texan, Sandra Brown was born in Waco, grew up in Fort Worth and attended Texas Christian University, majoring in English. Before embarking on her writing career, she worked as a model at the Dallas Apparel Mart, and in television, including weathercasting for WFAA-TV in Dallas, and feature reporting on the nationally syndicated program “PM Magazine.”

In 2009 Brown detoured from her thrillers to write, Rainwater, a much acclaimed, powerfully moving story about honor and sacrifice during the Great Depression.

Brown recently was given an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Texas Christian University. She was named Thriller Master for 2008, the top award given by the International Thriller Writer’s Association. Other awards and commendations include the 2007 Texas Medal of Arts Award for Literature and the Romance Writers of America’s Lifetime Achievement Award.

message 2: by Sandra (last edited Nov 01, 2014 11:46AM) (new)

We are beginning with Mirror Image, a book I have just started reading. If you are interested in reading Mirror Image, please feel free to join in as we read & discuss this book.

Mirror Image by Sandra Brown
The crash of a Dallas-bound jet wasn't just a tragedy to TV reporter Avery Daniels; it was an act of fate that handed her a golden opportunity to further her career. Mistaken for a glamorous, selfish woman named Carole Rutledge, the badly injured Avery would find that plastic surgery had given her Carole's face, the famous senatorial candidate Tate Rutledge for a husband, and a powerful Texas dynasty for in-laws. And as she lay helpless in the hospital, she would make a shattering discovery: Someone close to Tate planned to assassinate him. Now, to save Tate's life, Avery must live another woman's life -- and risk her own...

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Wow...already hooked on this one. And how horrifying it will be to have this happen to you - and yet, I can believe it could happen.

message 4: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Plan to start reading this one by Mon or Tues. Thanks.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13391 comments Mod
I read this before. Looking forward to discussing.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

50% finished and cannot put this book down! I'm officially a Sandra Brown addict!

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

Lol! I remember lingering in my car listening to this book:)

message 8: by Rachael (last edited Nov 01, 2014 08:42PM) (new)

Rachael (DLEurban) | 33 comments Starting this tonight. Looks great for my first Sandra Brown book.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

I'm reading like a maniac, ignoring my hubby and everything else because I want to find out who the bad guy is and of course, I'm sucked into everything happening with Tate & Avery. Got to stop & catch some sleep but don't want to! I'll finish it tomorrow for sure! Love her books.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Great Rachael! Hope you'll like it - I'm hopelessly hooked. We previously read Mean Streak and Deadline and I knew I loved her style. Mirror Image is even better.

message 11: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Would like to recommend Lethal for next month.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sounds good, Karen.

I'm at 90% & still can't say for sure who the killer is...Sandra Brown is a master of suspense! But I'll know soon!! :)

message 13: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Will be starting in the next day or two. Can't wait.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Finished and absolutely loved it! Wow! Suspected some of it but not all. Great book. I can't wait to read more of Sandra Brown.

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments This was my first Sandra Brown's book and I loved it.

message 16: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Started it last night. Loving it. Can't wait to get back to it.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Mirror Image was really a heart touching read. It's a unique situation & almost a no win scenario. I loved this book. Is anyone else still reading this one?

message 18: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Read it too. I loved it. This book grabbed me from the beginning.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Is anyone still reading Mirror Image? I'd like to make this a spoiler zone & open discussions.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Should Avery have told the truth sooner? Were her reasons for staying silent about who she was warranted? At what point did you figure out who wanted Tate dead? Did you suspect the added twist near the end?

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

It's been a bit but I remember feeling she took too long to speak up.

message 21: by Sandra (new)

She did even though she had valid reasons. She couldn't figure out who wanted Tate dead & also knew she'd be dead if they figured out who she really was. But - she had fallen in love with Tate & feared losing him if she told the truth. The longer it went on, the harder it became to speak up. And then, of course, it all blew up in her face. Brown did such a good job building the suspense all the way through this one and I loved the romance also.

message 22: by Sandra (new)

I am reading Lethal by Sandra Brown now as a BR with Karen. I would like to continue reading a Brown book each month. If anyone is interested in joining us, please feel free and also - please post any Brown books here that you would like to read. We can read them in the order they are nominated or, if we have more than we can get to, we'll do a poll to choose the next one. I don't think we'll go wrong with any Sandra Brown book.

message 23: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments I do think Avery waited too long to tell Tate who she was. But I can understand why she kept waiting. She knew this was going to be a huge problem for Tate and the more she fell for him, the harder it became to tell him. Loved the twist at the end. This author really keeps me in suspense (no pun intended) until the last page. I also loved the romance in this book.

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments I understand why she did not tell Tate the truth sooner. She actually fell in love with him in the hospital and I think in addition to really wanting to be with him, she truly wanted to save him and the little girl, catch this killer and save her career. To take all that verbal abuse from the family, Avery must have been deeply in love with Tate. I want to know what you feel about her spanking the little girl considering she was not her "real" mother and she was just getting to know her?

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I am reading Lethal by Sandra Brown now as a BR with Karen. I would like to continue reading a Brown book each month. If anyone is interested in joining us, please feel free and also - pleas..."

Sandra, Can you send me the link to the order they were nominated. I too would like to follow this reading trend of her books you suggested. Trying to get Envy, which I hear is a good one but Amazon says it will take 1-3 weeks.

message 26: by Sandra (new)

We don't have a nomination list as of yet beyond Lethal, which I'm reading now. Anyone interested in continuing to read her books with us one a month is encouraged to nominate Brown books in this thread. Let's see which titles we get & we'll proceed from there. I realize that it sometimes takes 2 or 3 weeks to get library books so if we can agree on 4 or 5 of the next titles, it will allow time for everyone getting them from the library to receive them. I did note that Scribd has some of Brown's books.

I like the idea of each of us who are participating in this monthly read of Brown's books nominating 1 of her books we want to read. That should give us a list of books to start with beyond Lethal. I don't think we can go wrong with any of them!

message 27: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments I have read Mirror Image, Lethal and Mean Streak so far. Any one that is nominated would be good (if that is the route you want to take). Will be reading the thread to see what is next. Thanks Sandra.

message 28: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments I'd like to recommend Ricochet and Chill Factor for one of the next reads.

message 29: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Paula wrote: "I understand why she did not tell Tate the truth sooner. She actually fell in love with him in the hospital and I think in addition to really wanting to be with him, she truly wanted to save him a..."

Spanking is such a hard issue, isn't it? Believe it or not, I don't think I ever spanked my children, one look or raised voice from me was usually enough to stop them. So when I read that, I immediately cringed. I think it was just a spontaneous reaction and I told myself she didn't spank her hard, just enough to get her attention. How about you, Paula? Did it bother you?

message 30: by Sandra (new)

With the spanking, I honestly believe she needed a spanking. Everyone tip-toed around her and she was acting out...& I think she needed the structure - needed to know someone cared enough to discipline her. And, I kept reminding myself, Avery had the face of her mother. It wasn't like a stranger spanking her - to her. I'm like you, Karen. A look or word was usually enough to discipline my son - his feelings were hurt much quicker than his backside. That and a little time out in his room without electronics! lol

message 31: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments My oldest son always tells his friends that they were never spanked...just his mother saying I'm very disappointed in you was enough to make them tow the line. Of course that was as they got older and the "look" didn't work as well...lol

message 32: by Sandra (new)

85% finished with Lethal...cannot turn the pages fast enough! The suspense is killing me...it's amazing how she maintains it throughout the entire book. Got to finish this one tonight & find out who is who & what happens!

message 33: by Sandra (new)

I'm finished with Lethal. Another OMG read - suspense from cover to cover. I actually hate that I must read some other books before starting the next Brown book. She is the best!

message 34: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Finished it too! Brown grabs me right from the first chapter. Usually I read 2 books at a time, but not when I'm reading hers! Suspenseful right up until the last page.

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

What did you think about Lethal's ending?

message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments I was not happy with the ending. Then I started thinking about it and came to the conclusion, that we as readers are so used to having everything spelled out for us that it is ok to end a story in a not so blatantly obvious way. Like someone said before, I wished she had allowed us to glimpse them coming through the door. BUT i know that they did go to him. What does everyone else think?

message 37: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments Karen ♐ wrote: "Paula wrote: "I understand why she did not tell Tate the truth sooner. She actually fell in love with him in the hospital and I think in addition to really wanting to be with him, she truly wanted..."

I was bothered by it because she was so casual in relaying it to Tate. She was trying to build a relationship with the child and it seem odd that she would spank her knowing that she was not really the mother and really had no parental right to do so. I think Tate was disturbed by it even when he thought Avery was Carole.

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

Paula wrote: "I was not happy with the ending. Then I started thinking about it and came to the conclusion, that we as readers are so used to having everything spelled out for us that it is ok to end a story in..."

Initially, I felt the same as you and then liked that I could use my own imagination to create the ending.

message 39: by Sandra (new)

I loved the ending! I know in my heart what will happen and I actually liked that the author trusted me to draw my own conclusions instead of spelling out every detail. It did "hit" me at first but I immediately thought, "Yes! Awesome ending." More & more, I've gotten to the point of enjoying authors that don't spoon feed me info, that trust me with just enough info to make me think without leaving me frustrated. I don't like cliffhangers but I don't consider this a cliffhanger.

message 40: by Jonetta (new)

Great point, Sandra.

message 41: by Sandra (new)

I am so enthralled with Sandra Brown & her books right now. If I didn't have so many other reading commitments, I'd read her non-stop. I'm going to look through & pick my nom for Dec. I believe we have Ricochet & Chill Factor already nominated.

message 42: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments At first when I read the ending, I thought What? Then I realized that I liked drawing my own conclusion, seeing them walk through the door, stop and then run to him jumping up into his arms, Emily yelling Coburn, is this part of the 'venture? I love Brown's books.

message 43: by Jonetta (new)

Yes! That was my ending, Karen:)

message 44: by Sandra (new)

Another Brown book to consider for future reads:

Play Dirty by Sandra Brown (recommended by Kris)

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

I would love to read Ricochet in December. Anyone game?
Ricochet by Sandra Brown

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments I'm down!

message 47: by Sandra (new)

Awesome...and I think it's one that Scribd has.
Karen, are you game??

message 48: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Definitely!

message 49: by Sandra (new)

Okay then - Ricochet by Sandra Brown is our December Sandra Brown group read. Anyone else interested, please feel free to join us!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Yay! My first group read on GR.

« previous 1 3