Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > November 2014: Historical Romance

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 82 comments Hope everyone had a great Halloween! With October in the past, we can move on to the next theme! November's theme is Historical Romance!

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic in the month's folder (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

And don't forget to vote on the poll for December's theme. The poll for January's theme just opened, so go for that!

Happy reading!!!

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Nov 01, 2014 11:07AM) (new)

Melissa I have these 3 books on my read next pile that may fit this month's theme:

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell Sultana by Prince Michael of Greece Heavenly Persuasion by Lorraine Henderson

Although I'm not sure I would classify Gone with the Wind as romance.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to stretch this theme a bit to get a few classics out of the way.

I plan on reading:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Persuasion by Jane Austen

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 101 comments I just finished reading Outlander. The two main characters were so likable. It is a combination of so many genres. I enjoyed the story line - a combination of historical fiction, romance, science fiction and fantasy. The violence in the story was fine as it fit in with the era and the plot. However, I felt that the book would have been better if some of the "romance" had been left to the imagination. For this reason it was only a four star read for me.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (eden1013) I'll be reading Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon , and possibly The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley .

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara | 35 comments I'll read Written In My Heart's Own Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8) by Diana Gabaldon

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara | 57 comments I read The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman Katherine by Anya Seton last month. I am planning to read Freud's Mistress by Karen Mack this month.

message 8: by Melissa (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:05PM) (new)

Melissa I just finished Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon which is classified as historical romance, it isn't your typical romance, it is more of a romance with a couple re-finding themselves. Awesome book- Jamie & Claire are great characters!

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 57 comments I finished Freud's Mistress by Karen Mack and now I am reading Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty for this month's theme.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments I read The Sharp Hook of Love: A Novel of Heloise and Abelard which is historical and deals with a romance, but the romance is tragic. There is no HEA (Happily Ever After).

message 11: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) I finished Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros and gave it 4 stars. It's a Regency romance dealing with a blind war hero and the nurse who helps him adapt.

message 12: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) And another, Gold Rush Groom by Jenna Kernan Gold Rush Groom by Jenn Kernan. Gave it 4 stars. Very good romance between an Irish immigrant and an impoverished inventor on the treacherous trek to the Yukon gold mines. Historical detail was amazing.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I read The Pursuit of Lucy Banninga quick easy read.

message 14: by Marty (new)

Marty Selnick (MartySelnick) | 22 comments I'm reading The Care and Management of Lies: A Novel of the Great War The Care and Management of Lies by Jacqueline Winspear . I believe this will fit this month's theme nicely.

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments I'm reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Asusten Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

message 16: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) I read Wyoming Widow by Elizabeth Lane Wyoming Widow by Elizabeth Lane. Pregnant destitute widow pretends to be having baby of missing rancher in order to give her child a better life. His brother is suspicious but drawn to the widow.

message 17: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (flux336) | 41 comments Anne wrote: "I'm reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane AsustenSense and Sensibility by Jane Austen"

This is one of my favorites! I started re-reading it a couple of weeks ago. I love Elinor Dashwood dearly.

message 18: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (flux336) | 41 comments Emily wrote: "I'm going to stretch this theme a bit to get a few classics out of the way.

I plan on reading:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPersuasion by Jane Austen"

Those are all great choices. I recently re-read Jane Eyre and it was an entirely different reading experience for me now that I'm older. The last time I read it I was in college and I was in a big hurry, it was just an assignment to get done. This time I could really dive into it and reflect on it. This novel is amazing because it strikes me differently each time I come to it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.