What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Killer Queens
This topic is about Killer Queens
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Contemporary chick lit fiction set in a fictionalised version of the British Royal Family [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Andrews | 52 comments I read this book in 2013, possibly 2012, and I would put its publication date within 5 years of that at most. It is a chick lit style of book, very much along the lines of Penny Vincenzi, with multiple main characters alternating viewpoints. The characters are members of a fictional British royal family, quite obviously based on the current royal family. The first character we are introduced to is the young fiancee of the Prince and heir to the throne. Both she and her fiance are sensible and staid, very much aware of their responsibility to maintain a positive public image (for example, she buys clothes from high street shops like Reiss to seem relatable and has them altered by a tailor to avoid unflattering photos). She has an ordinary job, as, I think, a nurse, but this conflicts with the necessity to have expensive haircuts, facials and such. He is largely concerned with leading as 'normal' a life as possible while being the heir to the throne. They met at a coffee shop and live together. They are contrasted with his much racier sister, a party girl (I think her name may be Cressida), who is always getting into scandals and who is mean to her brother's fiancee, whom she considers boring. I remember all this setup, but I can't remember any of the storyline, author's name or title. Please help if any of this sounds familiar!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34379 comments Mod
Sue Townsend wrote a few books based on the royals such as The Queen and I, Queen Camilla, and The Queen in Hell Close - but I'm not seeing a close match.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Andrews | 52 comments Thanks Kris - it's not any of those, and I have a feeling that the name of the book doesn't directly mention a royal title. I would say the tone of the book was more serious than I'd expect from Sue Townsend.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34379 comments Mod
Hmm...if the tone is more serious, then Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin probably misses the mark. Some reviewers mention farcical, slapstick humor.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Andrews | 52 comments Unfortunately not it either. The main characters are a thinly disguised Wills and Kate rather than Charles and Di.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments I really want to read this! I hope someone recognizes it.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Andrews | 52 comments Mary wrote: "I really want to read this! I hope someone recognizes it."

It's a good book, one that I would recommend. I don't understand why I don't remember more about it!

message 8: by Juels (new) - added it

Juels | 2427 comments maybe.. To Marry A Prince by Sophie

message 9: by Juels (new) - added it

Juels | 2427 comments Sophie Page... sorry, using the app.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38222 comments Mod
To Marry a Prince for the link.

message 11: by Juels (new) - added it

Juels | 2427 comments Thank you Lobstergirl!

message 12: by Jo (new)

Jo Andrews | 52 comments Thanks for the suggestion! But unfortunately it is not the one, though clearly there are similar elements. In the book I am looking for, the Prince and his fiancee are already engaged, it is not a "meet" story. I am almost certain that the name of the book does not include a royal title or mention of marriage or engagement.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna | 207 comments This sounds a lot like Killer Queens by Rebecca Chance.

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo Andrews | 52 comments Anna wrote: "This sounds a lot like Killer Queens by Rebecca Chance."

OMG that's it! And it explains why I couldn't remember any more about it, I was only recalling one of the several plot threads. Now I've read the synopsis I remember the rest. Thank you thank you! :)