Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Winner Chosen - Group Read for December 2014

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments What book would you like for us to read about the Tudors or Tudor England in December? (What we've already had as group reads is on a "group reads" shelf at the group bookshelf, if you can't remember if we've read it already or not.)

Two nominations to a person.

message 2: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 70 comments This time I would like to nominate "A Question of Guilt" by Julianne Lee (about the death of Henry Darnley) and "To Serve a King" by Donna Russo Morin.

message 3: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Casas | 68 comments The Six Wives & Many Mistresses of Henry VIII: The Womens' Stories by Amy Licence. I loved this book ! It's great and you guys would really enjoy it, she includes a lot of interesting tibidst about the wives' sex lives and also beliefs about the subject and birth at that time. If you guys have seen Helen Castor's three part documentary series on medieval lives, birth and death, you will enjoy this.

The next is: George Boleyn: Tudor Poet, Courtier and Diplomat by Claire Ridgway and Claire Cherry

message 4: by Helene (new)

Helene Harrison (tudorblogger) I would like to nominate The Marriage Game by Alison Weir, about Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley, and also The Queen's Governess by Karen Harper, about Kat Ashley, governess to Elizabeth I.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The Marriage Game sounds interesting - is it a novel or non-fiction?

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 26 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "The Marriage Game sounds interesting - is it a novel or non-fiction?"

It's a novel

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 26 comments But only because it has dialogue in it, otherwise it's pretty non fiction

message 8: by Gretchen (last edited Nov 02, 2014 11:39AM) (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) The Marriage Game is only available in the U.S on the Kindle from what I can find. It won't be published in the U.S. until February according to Amazon

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 26 comments Ah I didn't realise you were in the US. I bought the 3D version. It's available on Kindle on Amazon France and UK, don't know if you could access those sites from where you are.

message 10: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) The Tudor Secret (The Spymaster Chronicles, #1) by C.W. Gortner or The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 26 comments If you are asking which I recommend, it's the Tudor Secret by Christopher Gortner, as I have not read The Tudor Rose

message 12: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) Those are my nominations for the December poll.

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 26 comments oh right, oops

message 14: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 19 comments I nominate Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor by Julianne Lee

message 15: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 66 comments I second The Tudor Rose by Barnes as well as The Queen's Governess by Harper as I have both sitting in my TBR pile on the shelf right now. :D

message 17: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Casas | 68 comments Samantha wrote: "The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion And Treason The Secret Wars Against The Tudors by Desmond Seward or [book:The First Queen of England: The Myth of "Bloody Mar..."

I loved First Queen of England, Linda Porter is a fabulous author. I also am interested in reading Alison Weir's novel "the marriage game". I already posted my own choice of books but the rest look great too.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) Lamentation by C J Sansom - the latest book in the excellent Matthew Shardlake series which was published last month (UK) is my first nomination. Fiction.
My second nomination is After Elizabeth by Leanda de Lisle which focuses on the final years of Elizabeth 1 reign and her legacy for the Stuart King James. Non fiction.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments That's a great series; I'm going to read Lamentation as soon as I can get it (not on sale here in the US until next year!).

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 91 comments Athena wrote: I loved First Queen of England, Linda Porter is a fabulous author.

That's great to hear! I am hoping to find some tidbits on Margaret Pole in it.

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 91 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "That's a great series; I'm going to read Lamentation as soon as I can get it (not on sale here in the US until next year!)."

I'm going to read Revelation soon. It has been tempting me from my TBR for much too long!

message 22: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) So books that aren't available to everyone are eligible for nomination? That doesn't really seem fair.

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 91 comments Gretchen wrote: "So books that aren't available to everyone are eligible for nomination? That doesn't really seem fair."

I don't believe that they will be included in the voting until they are available in the US as well.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Well, we read the first one as a group earlier this year - I could substitute Dark Fire, the second one, for Lamentation?

message 25: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Nov 05, 2014 11:01AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments OK, I'm going to close nominations and open a poll. (Also sneaking in a nomination of my own: Wolf Hall.)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The poll is here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... or at the front page of the group.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The winner: Wolf Hall.