Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Collins, Wilkie - The Woman in White - Informal Buddy Read; Start January 3, 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Book synopsis:
'In one moment, every drop of blood in my body was brought to a stop... There, as if it had that moment sprung out of the earth, stood the figure of a solitary Woman, dressed from head to foot in white'

The Woman in White famously opens with Walter Hartright's eerie encounter on a moonlit London road. Engaged as a drawing master to the beautiful Laura Fairlie, Walter becomes embroiled in the sinister intrigues of Sir Percival Glyde and his 'charming' friend Count Fosco, who has a taste for white mice, vanilla bonbons, and poison. Pursuing questions of identity and insanity along the paths and corridors of English country houses and the madhouse, The Woman in White is the first and most influential of the Victorian genre that combined Gothic horror with psychological realism.

Matthew Sweet's introduction explores the phenomenon of Victorian 'sensation' fiction, and discusses Wilkie Collins's biographical and societal influences. Included in this edition are appendices on theatrical adaptations of the novel and its serialisation history.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) Wonderful! I am looking forward to this :)

message 5: by Damini (new)

Damini | 63 comments I'd like to read this one. :)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5008 comments I'm good whenever in January.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I would love to join this. :)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'd like to read this too!

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3067 comments I have had this one downloaded forever and haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm in.

message 10: by Rose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose | 605 comments I'm in :)

Kaora (ophelja) I'm in as well!

message 12: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 7 comments Me too!

Gwyendalin (gwyen) I'm in.

Jackie | 1921 comments I've had this on my TBR forever. I'd like to join.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5008 comments Yeah the more the merrier.

Tawallah | 385 comments IS there a potential date in mind? I'm in.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5008 comments I have it on audio and ebook and can probably start soon. I started back to school this week and don't know how quickly I will be able to knock it out. Will depend on the audiobook narrator. If I like the narrator then I will knock it out pretty quickly while doing housework.

message 18: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) I'll start as soon as I finish two other BRs. :) can't wait to start this one!

message 19: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie Just got this one. Can start anytime! :)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5008 comments I can start anytime as well.

message 21: by Mirliz (new) - added it

Mirliz | 373 comments This sounds different from what I usually read. I'm in, could be interesting!

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm starting today. I hope somebody is going to join me!

message 23: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments I think I'm in.!

message 24: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) I'll see if I can grab it today :)

message 25: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments I just got it for free on my kindle. I hope I can get through it.

Jackie | 1921 comments I'm planning to start it tomorrow.

message 27: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya | 256 comments I've had this one on my Kindle for awhile, I'd like to join. :)

message 28: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) Tonya: I looked for the freebie but couldn't find it, do you happen to have the link?

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Finished reading first 100 pages.
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya | 256 comments Margaret I will look when I am on my computer later today and let you know!

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5008 comments I can start this today. I have it on Kindle and audio will probably go back and forth.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm over 200 pages done now (view spoiler)

message 33: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) I just got my copy for the Kindle from my Overdrive library, I will be starting this weekend.

message 34: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments I am enjoying this book (I didn't think that I would.) It's not too difficult to understand and I like that.

message 35: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments (view spoiler)

I'm not overwhelmed yet ... that's a good thing.!

message 36: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya | 256 comments Margaret wrote: "Tonya: I looked for the freebie but couldn't find it, do you happen to have the link?"

Hi Margaret - I no longer see it free on Kindle, but it is listed on the Project Gutenberg site for free. Here is the link.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/583

This is a wonderful site to find all sorts of classics!

message 37: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) Tonya wrote: "Margaret wrote: "Tonya: I looked for the freebie but couldn't find it, do you happen to have the link?"

Hi Margaret - I no longer see it free on Kindle, but it is listed on the Project Gutenberg s..."

Thanks for the link....I think I have gotten into that site before and thanks for the reminder, I now have another place to scour for books. :)

message 38: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya | 256 comments Isn't it wonderful? :)

message 39: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) Tonya wrote: "Isn't it wonderful? :)"

It just dialed my bookworming addiction up even more, but I can handle that lol :)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm about halfway done and the mystery really picks up now.
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments Okay...so I'm on the part where (view spoiler)

Sarah | 3273 comments Read this earlier this year. It is one of my more favorable classics.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Finished with the second chapter (time period?)
(view spoiler)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I have finished reading.
Good classics with great characters and engaging mystery about the Woman in White. My assumptions were correct about her identity but not about how it all went down.

Jackie | 1921 comments I'm about 25% through and really enjoying it so far.

(view spoiler)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Jackie wrote: "I'm about 25% through and really enjoying it so far.

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5008 comments You guys are a little ahead of me. I just finished disc 1. I like it so far and the narrator is pretty good. Walter has just arrived at the estate and is having breakfast with the "ugly daughter".

So far this is easier to understand then The Moonstone was. Not that the Moonstone was complicated, just very wordy and rambling at times and my mind would wander or I'd get impatient. I know authors frequently got paid by the word back then.

Jackie | 1921 comments I'm up to 69% now.

(view spoiler)

@Skandia -(view spoiler)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Jackie, I totally agree - (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5008 comments I didn't make any progress on this yesterday.

I'm going to try to listen to some more tonight. But I am so tired that I will probably end up in bed early.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman in White (other topics)
The Moonstone (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wilkie Collins (other topics)