Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Series Read: The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 25, 2014 12:44AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

What is a buddy read?

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book

Rules:
1. Identify the book you are discussing
2. Always post comments under a spoiler

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Sanskriti (new)

Sanskriti Nagar | 278 comments Me reading this one.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Yay! I'm in.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments I'm planning on starting this series for the Tower Teams challenge ... So count me in

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Hi Shannon! Which team are you? I'm on Misty Mountain Trolls.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Hi Chris! I'm on Serpents of the Sea.

message 9: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I'm in! Just got the ebook. :-)

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I will volunteer for a set of DQs.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Pushing to finish Winter of the World so I'm ready to start book 3 in time!

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments I'm ready to get started!

Anybody have any thoughts about should we have a schedule, read at our own pace, etc?

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I am happy reading at whatever pace is comfortable. I tend to read cover to cover, but this is a long one, and I can read it at a more leisurely pace. I'll probably get started reading tonight - maybe the first few chapters for discussion tomorrow??

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Chris wrote: "I am happy reading at whatever pace is comfortable. I tend to read cover to cover, but this is a long one, and I can read it at a more leisurely pace. I'll probably get started reading tonight - ..."

I'm usually a cover to cover myself. But like you said, it's a long one. Plus I've got too many going right now!

I'll read some tonight too & we can get this party started

message 15: by Chris (last edited Nov 24, 2014 06:05PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Soumds like a plan!

Have you finished the first two in the trilogy? It's been a couple of years for me, so I may be a little slow on the uptake with the characters.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Ha! Yea. I started them with the start of the TT challenge, so they're pretty fresh for me.

So ?s -- ask away!

message 17: by jingles (new)

jingles I would love to join you all, but I've got to get through the first two books of the series first. We're those set up as buddy reads as well?

message 18: by jingles (new)

jingles Oops! Were

I hate auto correct.

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments @jingles - I don't think so. At least I didn't participate in any if they were. But since we are on different teams ;), & I just read them, I can certainly talk to you about them while you read them.

message 20: by jingles (new)

jingles Great, Shannon! Thank you.

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Just ask the mods to set up a thread whenever you're ready to start & let me know

message 22: by Chris (last edited Nov 24, 2014 07:13PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments jingles wrote: "I would love to join you all, but I've got to get through the first two books of the series first. We're those set up as buddy reads as well?"

You have a rare treat ahead of you! I particularly loved Fall of Giants. It was a little slow to start, but so worth the persistence.

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Shannon, can't we just use this thread?

message 24: by Shannon (last edited Nov 25, 2014 07:36AM) (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments EDGE OF ETERNITY

Ch 1-5 (first half of Part 1)

George - you find yourself wanting to scream "No!" (view spoiler)

Rebecca -- I really have not been able to understand throughout these novels why this family insists on staying in (view spoiler)

Tanya -- It's a bit of ironic excellence that the daughter of one of the biggest hardliner baboons from the last novel is (view spoiler)

message 25: by Shannon (last edited Nov 24, 2014 08:38PM) (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Chris wrote: "Shannon, can't we just use this thread?"

I'm not sure. If @jingles wants BR points, her team captain has to link the thread in the Mod spreadsheet & insure there is adequate participation. It might make it difficult to determine if we are talking about all 3 books concurrently --- however if it's only us few participants instead of like Outlander thread, it might be possible.

I'll have to ask..

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Shannon wrote: "Chris wrote: "Shannon, can't we just use this thread?"

I'm not sure. If @jingles wants BR points, her team captain has to link the thread in the Mod spreadsheet & insure there is adequate partici..."

Y'all will notice the Mods changed it to a series read. ;)

message 27: by Chris (last edited Nov 25, 2014 07:48AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Yay! We'll just be careful to use "Spoilers" when talking about the later books.

EDGE OF ETERNITY
Chapt. 1-4½

***Shannon - I agree about George, (view spoiler)

Maud (view spoiler)

message 28: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Chris wrote: "Yay! We'll just be careful to use "Spoilers" when talking about the later books.

EDGE OF ETERNITY
Chapt. 1-4½

***Shannon - I agree about George, [spoilers removed]

Maud [spoilers removed]"

Is it spoiling for a (view spoiler)

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Shannon wrote: "Chris wrote: "Yay! We'll just be careful to use "Spoilers" when talking about the later books.

EDGE OF ETERNITY
Chapt. 1-4½

***Shannon - I agree about George, [spoilers removed]

Maud [spoilers..."

You're probably right. I haven't read enough of his trip South. It will be interesting to see what happens and how he reacts.

message 30: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Edge of Eternity

Ch 6-10 (second half of Part 1)

Dinka -- guess he and sister took different paths (view spoiler)

George - I'm glad to see he made it back home after (view spoiler)

Rebecca -- Holy Heck!

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Edge of Eternity

Through Chapt. 12

Maria - (view spoiler)

Dinka - I always thought the Russian part of this trilogy was fascinating.

Rebecca (view spoiler)

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Chris wrote: "Edge of Eternity

Through Chapt. 12

Maria - [spoilers removed]

Dinka - I always thought the Russian part of this trilogy was fascinating.

Rebecca [spoilers removed]"

I'm hoping to see a return of (view spoiler) as well.

message 33: by Chris (last edited Nov 28, 2014 11:59AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Edge of Eternity
Finished with Part 2:

I'm enjoying the part about the Cuban Missile Crisis. My Dad was a AF pilot and was very familiar. Interesting to read about it with both side's perspectives.

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Chris wrote: "Edge of Eternity
Finished with Part 2:

I'm enjoying the part about the Cuban Missile Crisis. My Dad was a AF pilot and was very familiar. Interesting to read about it with both side's perspectives."

I really enjoyed Part 2 as well.

Rebecca-- YAY!

I'm thinking the Kennedy family doesn't like this book very much though. ;)

message 35: by Lilac (last edited Nov 29, 2014 03:51PM) (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 127 comments I think you're right that the Kennedy family wouldn't like this book! I'm so glad that Ken Follett has been so brutally honest with this series though :)

message 36: by jingles (new)

jingles Hi guys! I haven't forgotten about this buddy read. I'm still awaiting my copy of the first book from the library. I think I am no. 4 in line now.

message 37: by Chris (last edited Nov 29, 2014 07:54PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Hi Jingles!

I would guess it isn't a Kennedy favorite at all.

I think I got one page read today 4x. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Too much football :-).

message 38: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments This book is moving along pretty quickly.
It's been a long time since I read the first two in this trilogy, but some things are slowly coming back to me.
Through chapter 11
As for Maria, what a surprise! (view spoiler)
Rebecca: (view spoiler)

message 39: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Lilac wrote: "I think you're right that the Kennedy family wouldn't like this book! I'm so glad that Ken Follett has been so brutally honest with this series though :)"

Hey Lilac!

I agree with you. I'm glad he's been so honest with the characters -- all of them. From Stalin to MLK. It's refreshing and makes for some interesting reading.

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Sandy wrote: "This book is moving along pretty quickly.
It's been a long time since I read the first two in this trilogy, but some things are slowly coming back to me.
Through chapter 11
As for Maria, what a su..."

Maria - The writing was on the wall, so to speak, but I was surprised by how easily she just went along with it. Seemed out of character, or at least how she had been portrayed up to that point.

message 41: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 127 comments Shannon wrote: "Sandy wrote: "This book is moving along pretty quickly.
Through chapter 11
As for Ma..."

I agree with both of you. It was definitely very unexpected for her to do something like that after how she'd acted for the first half of the book. On the other hand, END OF BOOK SPOILERS (view spoiler)

message 42: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Finished Part 3

I am really enjoying how KF brings history to life in such a way that you see all aspects -- not from the top but from the people. People you can relate too. You can see why they feel the way they do, you can understand why decisions were made (may not agree but you can understand).

message 43: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Finished Part 4.

Knew it was coming, yet I still cried.

Everything surrounding Alabama, the MLK speech in Washington was so masterfully handled. He really brought it all to life.

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Part 3 E of E

Maria (view spoiler)

Dimka (view spoiler)

Sorry to have gotten behind. Life interrupted :-)

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Chris wrote: "Part 3 E of E

Maria [spoilers removed]

Dimka [spoilers removed]

Sorry to have gotten behind. Life interrupted :-)"

No worries. It's not like either one of us seems to be rushing through this book. LOL!

(Which is weird for me, because it is actually quite good)

I agree about Maria.

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Shannon wrote: "Chris wrote: "Part 3 E of E

Maria [spoilers removed]

Dimka [spoilers removed]

Sorry to have gotten behind. Life interrupted :-)"

No worries. It's not like either one of us seems to be rushin..."

I think it's good, too! I'm old enough to remember most of the real events, so it's like a walk down memory lane. I don't know that my memories are as exciting as KF's :-)

message 47: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Progress - p 399.

Interesting. I didn't know so much about the Birmingham AL civil rights issues. Sad chapter in our history.

message 48: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Progress - p. 622

I'm finding this interesting, but a bit revisionist. I think a little umkind to the broader spectrum of society. I don't see it becoming any kinder as we move to Vietnam.

message 49: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments I just finished Part 5.

I've never really liked Jasper's character very much. Haven't changed my mind too much.

The political bent seems to have taken a bit of a back seat for the moment, and it's focusing more on character & cultural changes. Which, for the time period being addressed, is understandable. But it does highlight, for me, that I'm not very invested in this character group.

It's still really good, just not as griping as the earlier 2 novels.

message 50: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Finished Part 6.

How about you Cindy? Been making any kind of progress?

I'm still not as invested in these characters, like I said earlier, I think that's why I seem to struggle ... But I've kind of decided I've been reading it long enough -- time to finish. Lol!

« previous 1