Pulp Fiction discussion

Books and Series > Paperback cover artwork

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) Gotta love the old paperbacks with their often salacious painted artwork and outrageous blurbs. One of the most prolific cover artists of the past 60 years is Robert McGinnis, who is still active painting Hard Case Crime covers. Here's an informative tribute to McGinnis' work that I'm sure will delight those of us who enjoy this style of pulp paperback artwork. http://killercoversoftheweek.blogspot...

message 2: by Gerard (new)

Gerard Cappa Did he do the Micky Spillane covers?

message 3: by Gerard (last edited Nov 01, 2014 11:57AM) (new)

Gerard Cappa Here are some interesting designs from the 2013 Penguin Design Competition to design a new cover for 'The Big Sleep'
http://www.theguardian.com/books/gall...

message 4: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) McGinnis provided plenty of Spillane covers. For example:

message 5: by C. (new)

C. Lewis (goodreadscomcmacklewis) | 8 comments Looks like Jane Fonda!

message 6: by C. (new)

C. Lewis (goodreadscomcmacklewis) | 8 comments I got my cover art from a photographer named Retroatelier who happens to be in the Ukraine. As soon as I saw the photo, I knew it was perfect for the book.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian | 62 comments Spot on !

message 8: by Jay (new)

Jay Gertzman | 258 comments Gerard wrote: "Here are some interesting designs from the 2013 Penguin Design Competition to design a new cover for 'The Big Sleep'
http://www.theguardian.com/books/gall..."

I do not like the camera motif. The vicarious pleasure in capturing people with one's eyes, or extensions of one's eyes, really has little to do with the novel, and prioritizes voyeurism over a complex set of moral compromises that the novel is about. I don't like the city motifs either. They are too clever and stylish to get at all close to what the reader finds out about "how cities are run."

message 9: by Brian (last edited Nov 05, 2014 01:02PM) (new)

Brian | 62 comments Gerard ; I agree with you re the camera image covers, but personally like the cityscapes. Surprised by the winner and runner up.

message 10: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Deming most were interesting. Comic book one least for me in this selection

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg Strandberg (gregstrandberg) Great cover image here:

Don't Ever Love me by Octavus Roy Cohen
Don't Ever Love me

message 12: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) Greg wrote: "Great cover image here:

Lovable, kissable, killable. Whatta dame.

message 13: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson | 9 comments I love this cover! It's one of my favorites and I've used it a couple of times to illustrate a blog post.

message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard (richardv) | 45 comments I love the pulpy book covers. Sexy dames and bad ass dudes! Here are some of my faves. Especially The Woman Aroused. The title combined with that crazed look on her face and how she's attacking the guy makes me chuckle every time I see it.

Satan Is a Woman by Gil Brewer Branded Woman by Wade Miller Of Tender Sin  by David Goodis The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30) by Gil Brewer My Flesh Is Sweet by Day Keene Sin Pit by Paul S. Meskil So Young, So Wicked by Jonathan Craig Getting Off (Hard Case Crime #101) by Lawrence Block The Bride Wore Black by Cornell Woolrich The Bitch by Gil Brewer Play it Hard by Gil Brewer The Woman Aroused by Ed Lacy

message 15: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new)

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 539 comments Mod
Great selection , Richard.
There's a lot from Gil Brewer here. I might give him a try.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments I love the covers on the Fredric Brown books. Great examples of Pulp art:

Compliments of a Fiend by Fredric Brown - The Fabulous Clip Joint by Fredric Brown - The Bloody Moonlight by Fredric Brown - Knock Three-One-Two by Fredric Brown - A Plot for Murder by Fredric Brown - The Screaming Mimi by Fredric Brown .

Great names for Pulp books too. 'The Screaming Mimi' & 'The Fabulous Clipjoint'. Great stuff!!

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard (richardv) | 45 comments Love these cover Paul! Fredric Brown has been on radar awhile so thanks for the recommendations...

And your right, great titles! He has another great title called The Wench Is Dead! :)

The Wench Is Dead by Fredric Brown

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Richard Vialet wrote: "Love these cover Paul! Fredric Brown has been on radar awhile so thanks for the recommendations...

And your right, great titles! He has another great title called The Wench Is Dead! ..."

Ha, yeah. Got that one too. GR has a limited range of his covers, unfortunately.

I really love the Pulp covers from the 40's-50's. It's interesting to see the transition of covers of authors whose books have been re-released over the years. Covers from the 70's are often inferior, in my opinion. They are often rather tacky photos of supposedly alluring females, but they're not a patch on the artwork of earlier covers.

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments A few of my acquisitions for today:

The Blonde on the Street Corner by David Goodis ; Madball by Fredric Brown ; Ex-Virgin by Orrie Hitt .

message 20: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) Algernon wrote: "Great selection , Richard.
There's a lot from Gil Brewer here. I might give him a try."

Gil Brewer was one of the top pulp writers of the '50s. His books are long out of print and hard to find though.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Richard Vialet wrote: "I love the pulpy book covers. Sexy dames and bad ass dudes! Here are some of my faves. Especially The Woman Aroused. The title combined with that crazed look on her face and how she's attacking the..."

Great selection Richard.

Although it's always preferable to have a physical copy, it's good to see many Pulp eBooks have retained their wonderful original artwork.
I have a bunch of Goodis eBooks with their original covers: The Burglar by David Goodis ; Nightfall by David Goodis ; Black Friday by David Goodis ; Street of No Return by David Goodis ; Night Squad by David Goodis .

Been on a Goodis binge lately, including most of the above.

message 22: by Karl (last edited May 14, 2015 03:58PM) (new)

Karl | 17 comments I am sad to hear of the death of Glen Orbik on Monday, May 11. An American illustrator Glen Orbik was perhaps known best for the pulpy art he created for Hard Case Crime’s line of paperback mysteries and thrillers. He also worked for Subterranean Press producing many fine dust jackets. He will be missed. Some of his work can be found here:

http://killercoversoftheweek.blogspot...

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Karl wrote: "I am sad to hear of the death of Glen Orbik on Monday, May 11. An American illustrator Glen Orbik was perhaps known best for the pulpy art he created for Hard Case Crime’s line of paperback mysteri..."

Beautiful artwork Karl. Thanks for the link.

message 24: by Karl (new)

Karl | 17 comments Paul wrote: "Karl wrote: "I am sad to hear of the death of Glen Orbik on Monday, May 11. An American illustrator Glen Orbik was perhaps known best for the pulpy art he created for Hard Case Crime’s line of pape..."

I think he was one of today's best book illustrators, what a loss.

message 25: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 398 comments I picked up Money Shot (Hard Case Crime #40) by Christa Faust at a half-price bookstore last weekend.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 439 comments Tom wrote: "I picked up Money Shot (Hard Case Crime #40) by Christa Faust at a half-price bookstore last weekend."

That's a good one.

message 27: by Karl (new)

Karl | 17 comments I don't think many other artists are doing much work like he or McGinnis today that I am aware of.

message 28: by Karl (new)

Karl | 17 comments Edwin wrote: "Gotta love the old paperbacks with their often salacious painted artwork and outrageous blurbs. One of the most prolific cover artists of the past 60 years is Robert McGinnis, who is still active p..."

Your link is no longer McGinnis, It's now Glen Orbik,

message 29: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) Jim wrote: "Tom wrote: "I picked up Money Shot (Hard Case Crime #40) by Christa Faust at a half-price bookstore last weekend."

That's a good one."

Great Glen Orbik cover art too.

message 30: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 398 comments Edwin wrote: "One of the most prolific cover artists of the past 60 years is Robert McGinnis, who is still active p..."

Karl wrote: "Your link is no longer McGinnis, It's now Glen Orbik, "

Here's the McGinnis link:
http://killercoversoftheweek.blogspot...

message 31: by Paul (last edited May 14, 2015 09:02PM) (new)

Paul | 910 comments By pure coincidence, a GR friend asked me (earlier today) about Hard Case Crime books & i found a link which mentions Glen Orbik's demise & features his stunning artwork on Hard Case Crime novels:

http://www.hardcasecrime.com/index.shtml

message 32: by kohey (new)

kohey Dashiell Hammett is one of my favs.
good cover!

Image from http://blankbooks.co.za/16264/the-gla....

message 33: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Picked these up yesterday: Some Day I'll Kill You by Dana Chambers ; Epitaph For A Dead Beat by David Markson ; Epitaph for a Tramp by David Markson ; Cornered! by James McKimmey & The Sheltering Night by Steve Fisher .

Although my cover for 'Some Day I'll Kill You' differs from the only cover available on GR.

message 34: by kohey (new)

kohey I love those art cover works.
Always wishing i had a great collection of good cover pulp novels.
Recently I bought the below.

Image from http://www.pissedoffgeek.com/wordpres....

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments KOHEY.Y. wrote: "I love those art cover works.
Always wishing i had a great collection of good cover pulp novels.
Recently I bought the below.

Image from http://www.pissedoffgeek.com/wordpres......"

Yes, nice cover Kohey.y. I have that one as an eBook. Another favorite Cain cover i have is: Double Indemnity by James M. Cain .

message 36: by kohey (new)

kohey That is stylish,Paul.
I haven't read that one, but hear it is a good one. There are several artworks with the same touch, I wonder.

I have a copy of

Image from http://www.mollysbooksandrecords.com/....

message 37: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Love this cover of Deadlier Than The Male Deadlier Than the Male by James Gunn

message 38: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Acquired these today: Borderline (Hard Case Crime #115) by Lawrence Block & Brainquake (Hard Case Crime #116) by Samuel Fuller .

I particularly like the Lawrence Block cover.

message 39: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Came across these beautiful James M. Cain books/covers recently: The Cocktail Waitress (Hard Case Crime #109) by James M. Cain ; Serenade by James M. Cain ; The Moth by James M. Cain & The Root of His Evil by James M. Cain .

message 40: by Karl (new)

Karl | 17 comments Nice stuff, Good finds !

message 41: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Hey Karl.

It's interesting to see the transition in cover artwork, with books originally published in the 1930-40's, reissued in the 60's/70's & more recently, through to the present day, & how covers have changed.

For books originally published in the early days, we have these beautiful artworks. Then in the 70's, the same books were invariably reissued adorned with supposedly alluring photos of women, which always appeared tacky & cheap to me, through to the present day, where the 'artwork' looks slick, but somehow soul-less.

The above covers i would gladly frame & hang on a wall at home, the latter belong in 'Men's' calendars, thumb-tacked to the back of a lavatory door.

Of course, there are exceptions. Charlie Huston, Derek Raymond, Megan Abbott, et al, have some excellent book covers.

message 42: by Karl (new)

Karl | 17 comments Paul wrote: "Hey Karl.

It's interesting to see the transition in cover artwork, with books originally published in the 1930-40's, reissued in the 60's/70's & more recently, through to the present day, & how co..."

I have repeatedly requested that the folks at Hard Case Crime just publish of large size art book of the covers to the books they have published. So far no luck. I think there would be a market for that.

message 43: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Karl wrote: "Paul wrote: "Hey Karl.

It's interesting to see the transition in cover artwork, with books originally published in the 1930-40's, reissued in the 60's/70's & more recently, through to the present ..."

Yes, i agree. Our local bookshop had a calendar for sale, around Dec/Jan, with HCC book covers for every month of the year. They were on good quality glossy paper & was tempted, but who uses a calendar these days?

message 44: by Karl (new)

Karl | 17 comments Paul wrote: "Karl wrote: "Paul wrote: "Hey Karl.

It's interesting to see the transition in cover artwork, with books originally published in the 1930-40's, reissued in the 60's/70's & more recently, through to..."

Must have missed that calendar- no one really uses one, however that would have been nice to see bigger representations of the covers, I don't think any one around here carried that. Now that they are owned by Titan books in the UK things appear to have changed a bit.

message 45: by Paul (new)

Paul | 910 comments Karl wrote: "Paul wrote: "Karl wrote: "Paul wrote: "Hey Karl.

It's interesting to see the transition in cover artwork, with books originally published in the 1930-40's, reissued in the 60's/70's & more recentl..."

I can imagine such prints taking pride of place in one's study, games room or Man-Cave. LOL

message 46: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) Gaiman, Neil evidently loves this style of cover artwork as he has recruited 90 year old legend Robert McGinnis to paint the covers of his new edition paperbacks. The cover for "American Gods" is terrific - http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2016/07...

message 47: by Karl (new)

Karl | 17 comments -- I love the works of Robert McGinnis, I think he has done over 1000 book covers in his career. If you ever get the chance to see any of his work in a live (not re-produced) format, they are even more stunning, --

message 48: by Verge (new)

Verge LeNoir | 0 comments Tom wrote: "I picked up Money Shot (Hard Case Crime #40) by Christa Faust at a half-price bookstore last weekend."

Oh man, this is one of my favorites book covers. Christa Faust has become one of my favorite pulpy writers, which reminds me; I should get a paperback copy of this (read the e-book, and enjoyed it). Good one.

message 49: by A.B. (new)

A.B. Patterson | 7 comments Yeah, I loved "Money Shot" too. I rushed online to get the sequel, "Choke Hold", and was equally as impressed. I love Christa Faust's work. Hoping for another instalment.

message 50: by Verge (new)

Verge LeNoir | 0 comments A.B. wrote: "Yeah, I loved "Money Shot" too. I rushed online to get the sequel, "Choke Hold", and was equally as impressed. I love Christa Faust's work. Hoping for another instalment."

If in when I have the time 'Choke Hold' will be read next. I found her YouTube channel, didn't know she had one, she's got a video where she reads four minutes of a book she's got coming up call: Butch Fatale.

« previous 1