Flights of Fantasy discussion

Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
This topic is about Deadweather and Sunrise
Archived Group Reads > November 2014 - YA/MG: Deadweather and Sunrise by Geoff Rodkey

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I have this out from the library, but I'm probably gonna wait 'til a little later in the month, closer to my birthday, to read it.

Hope it's good. :>

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ± wrote: "I have this out from the library, but I'm probably gonna wait 'til a little later in the month, closer to my birthday, to read it.

Hope it's good. :>"

Got mine from the library, too.

message 3: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Started this last night. Read a few chapters. Liking it so far! Pirates are fun :)

message 4: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I'm at about 40%. This is super fun... I'm really liking it a lot. I'm thinking about getting it for one of my nieces for Christmas actually. I'm trying to get them into fantasy and this might be just the thing!

message 5: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Cool - I'm glad to know this is a fun book. :)

I'll be starting this one after I'm done my current one.

message 6: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Just finished, short review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

My only gripe is the "middle grade" classification. As I explained in my review, there are certain situations later in the book that make me think this should be at least YA. Maybe I'm just being a stuffy old bat though, who knows.

message 7: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm a little more than halfway through. I'm not loving it, but I'm not disliking it, either.

message 8: by Becky, Modderific (new) - added it

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I actually picked this up the other day at for $3. Of course I won't get around to reading it until 2019, but what I'm saying is that I COULD read it... if I wanted.

message 9: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Becky wrote: "I actually picked this up the other day at for $3. Of course I won't get around to reading it until 2019, but what I'm saying is that I COULD read it... if I wanted."

So what you're really saying is you don't want to.

That's ok. I mean, it's just my birthday. THat's fine. I'll just sit in the corner and cry.

message 10: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I might cry anyway, 'cause I finished this last night and, sadly, did not love it. I'm probably giving it a 2.5, but haven't decided yet whether to go up or down for my star rating.

message 11: by Becky, Modderific (new) - added it

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Aww! This one is your pick, isn't it? Well that changes everything! :D I'll squeeze it in this weekend.

message 12: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments My birthday book was about a 2.5 too.

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Chris wrote: "My birthday book was about a 2.5 too."

We know how yo pick 'em.

Ay least Dawn liked it.

message 14: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Dawn wrote: "Just finished, short review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

My only gripe is the "middle grade" classification. As I explained in my review, there ..."

Oh, I did want to comment on this.

I would keep the MG classification because of the way it's written, overall. If this was classified as YA, I'd feel that the writing style as far too young.

But I do understand where you're coming from. My main thought, though, was that younger kids probably wouldn't understand the full implications of what was happening.

Me and Jer were just talking about this awhile ago, but about a different story - about the implications and subtexts in books we missed as kids, and were kind of shocked about when we revisited the stories as adults.

But, still, it is a bit much of a scene for a kids book. But, then, I was reading a review which pointed out that this book has some racism and sexism issues, too.

(view spoiler)