Flights of Fantasy discussion

Maplecroft (The Borden Dispatches #1)
This topic is about Maplecroft
Archived Group Reads > November 2014 - Horror: Maplecroft by Cherie Priest

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments I finished this last night. It's an interesting book (as I seem to say so often). I thought the interpersonal part of the story was a little distracting but a lot of that was the author trying to include the actual facts of the character's lives and roll them into this Lovecraft-esq story.

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Started this this morning. Not far enough in to make any prognostications, though.

Sinistmer | 212 comments Read this last week--I really enjoyed the journal narrative. I also thought the horror elements were well-developed; Priest was really good at how she revealed things--I found it suspenseful.

However, I did not feel particularly connected to the characters. Nevertheless, I found this a fun read.

message 4: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm about 35% in. I haven't really connected with the characters, and while some of the ideas are interesting enough, I feel like bits are being belabored. I'm not finding it suspenseful, really...

I don't know if it's 'cause of a bit of a bias against Priest from Boneshaker, but the writing style just seems kinda meh to me.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, but it's hovering around 2-stars for me so far...

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments No, I agree Colleen, I never really got involved with the people or felt any suspense. The writer is very involved with the Lovecraft tie in and also with applying what's know and what's conjectured about the "actual" Bordens. I think the book suffered from it. The story itself took a back seat in a lot of ways.

message 6: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Story doesn't seem to be Priest's special talent.

message 7: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Chris wrote: "Story doesn't seem to be Priest's special talent."

*snort*

message 8: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments 65%

Things are picking up, and the pace seems to be getting better. There's still some belavoring and over-repetition of stuff, though, which pulls things down once they start going.

I'm liking the parts with Seabury and Wolf more than with the Bordens and Nance.

message 9: by Nan (new) - added it

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ± wrote: "...I'm liking the parts with Seabury and Wolf..."

Agreed. I actually would have preferred the entire story to be told only from the doctor's POV anyway.

message 10: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Nan wrote: "Agreed. I actually would have preferred the entire story to be told only from the doctor's POV anyway. "

I agree that this might've been much better.

As it was, when the ending reverted to mostly Emma and Lizzie's perspective, I wasn't thrilled.

And that final confrontation? Pass.

2-stars - and that's mostly for the idea, and Seabury's parts.

Cherie Priest is now dead to me.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) IDK. I'm liking it.....

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I thought it exciting. It is written in a YA gothic voice, but with 19th century gothic styling. Once I got over the done-over Lizzie, the characters seemed fleshed ( O _ O ) out to me with the access to inner thoughts from their journals.

Horrific gore, though, when the monsters are loose.

My edition had a HUGE editing error near the end, but I liked it.