Flights of Fantasy discussion

Consider Phlebas (Culture, #1)
This topic is about Consider Phlebas
Archived Group Reads > November 2014 - Sci-Fi: Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Éric (new)

Éric Lord | 13 comments Some reviews are throwing me off this one... Pseudo-intellectual, uselessly long and over exposure are the flags being raised. Anybody started this over the weekend? Thoughts?

Michele | 11 comments Éric wrote: "Some reviews are throwing me off this one... Pseudo-intellectual, uselessly long and over exposure are the flags being raised. Anybody started this over the weekend? Thoughts?"

I really liked it. I think if you like space opera with a utopian bent, you'll like it. I don't think uselessly long is true unless you are in the twitter lifestyle or you don't like an old-fashioned BIG space opera. I don't remember thinking it was too long and I read it last year. But I LOVE space opera and I love Banks' optimistic visions. I did think the 2nd and 3rd Culture novels were better than the first.

Michele | 11 comments Nicki wrote: "The Culture series are some of my favourite novels, so although I haven't reread recently, let me see if I can answer this. I'll try to steer clear of spoilers and just talk about themes.

Consider..."

Yes, what Nicki said!

message 4: by Éric (new)

Éric Lord | 13 comments Interesting view. I'm more tempted than I was this morning =D

I'm a huge fan of Peter Hamilton, and so I'm not intimidated by "long".

message 5: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I read Player of Games many years ago. All I remember is that I liked it pretty well, but I can't recall any details at all..

Michelle (fireweaver) | 33 comments yup, i'll 3rd what Nicki said. this first one is only ok because, yep, the plot meanders rather than drives toward a point, but oh my sweet baby monkey, the world building going on here. and any brain that can come up with the truly devastating Use of Weapons... well worth starting somewhere, and the somewhere is here.

message 7: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I finished this over the weekend. I'm actually looking forward to trying other books in the series, as Nicki points out negatives as those things which I felt brought it down some. That said, I enjoyed it overall.