Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > 2015 - 1st Quarter Long Read Classic Nominations

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
The start of a new year is just a couple of months away and it is time to nominate our choices for the 2015 First Quarter Long Read.

Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length.

Long Read Nominations must meet the same requirements as books being nominated for our New School and Old School monthly reads. Nominations must be published prior to the year 2000.

Only past Long Read Books listed below are NOT eligible:

War and Peace, 1st & 2nd Quarter 2014
Anna Karenina, 3rd Quarter 2014
Les Misérablesm 4th Quarter 2014

Only one nomination per member

Feel free to second a nomination. Also feel free to discuss the worthiness of a nominated book. Is it a classic? Is it worth discussion? Please avoid Spoilers in these discussions.

Nominations are open from today till the 14th. Polls will be open from the 16th till November 30th.

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Save

message 3: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I nominate The Count of Monte Christo

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've always wanted to try The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil. Maybe if I read it in a group, I'd be inspired to finish it, instead of opening the dust jacket.

message 6: by Renato (new)

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I'll nominate Don Quixote

message 9: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I second Vanity Fair.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Wow! I didn't realize The Count was that long.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I didn't realize that The Count was that long either.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Did you know the Pulitzer for Biography (or was it Nonfiction) was the true story behind The Count?

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo The Black Count Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss by Tom Reiss

message 14: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Nov 01, 2014 01:59PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments The Black Count is on my TBR list, but I did not know that it won a Pulitzer.

I don't get out much.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't get out much, either, but I do listen to NPR.

message 16: by Nathan (new)

Nathan It's going to have to be The count of Monte Cristo. I really want to read it but I've been putting it off for something like this.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments I'll second Don Quixote.

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) The problem I have with translations is deciding whether to just go with the cheapest copy I can find... or to research what the best one is.

message 19: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments If you go into the group bookshelf, there's 3 shelves that might help I'm too lazy for proper links but their names are:

6-over-1000-pages (4)
7-over-750-pages (6)
8-over-500-pages (18)

And you can nominate something the group hasn't read yet too. I found this listopia when I was considering my choices:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
Obviously double check the Listopia books! It says over 600 pages in the list description but shorter books have snuck on there over time nor is everything on there pre-2000.

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments I'll 3rd Vanity Fair

message 21: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments I'll nominate The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

I'll also second Don Quixote.

message 22: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I nominate Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I read The Crying of Lot 49 and really liked it, but Gravity's Rainbow has always intimidated me. I think reading it with a group would help. It has a great first sentence - "A screaming comes across the sky."

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Nathan wrote: "I nominate Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I read The Crying of Lot 49 and really liked it, but Gravity's Rainbow has always intimidated me...."

How odd - I dug out my copy and began reading it on Wednesday. Very surprised at how enjoyable and quirky it was, if disturbing ... not how I remembered Pynchon being. Gravity's Rainbow would be an awesome Long Read (because it is .... LONG).

message 24: by Freya (new)

Freya | 19 comments I'll 4th Vanity Fair

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is my nomination

message 26: by Alissa (new)

message 27: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 101 comments I would like to nominate Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann.

message 28: by Emarosa89 (new)

Emarosa89 | 6 comments I vote for the Count of Monte Cristo

message 29: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Nominations end on Friday, polling begins on Sunday the 16th. Here is where we stand:

The Count of Monte Cristo, (1246 pages) Alissa, Seconds-Duane, Layal, Nathan, Alexis, Emarosa89
The Man Without Qualities, (1774 pages) Jasper, Seconds-Renato
Don Quixote (982 pages), Pink, Seconds-Christine, Maarit
Vanity Fair, (867 pages), Kirsten, Seconds-Phil, Julie, Freya
The Brothers Karamazov (pages 796), Maarit, Seconds-Alissa
Gravity's Rainbow, (776 pages), Nathan, Seconds-Jasper
Atlas Shrugged, (1168 pages), Rachel
Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family, (731 pages), Lagullande

message 30: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Poll will run from November 16th thru November 30th.

Link: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.