Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Girl with All the Gifts (The Girl with All the Gifts, #1)
This topic is about The Girl with All the Gifts
Archived Group Reads > November 2014 - Fantasy: The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (mostlymiddlegrade) The free preview sucked me in. Starting this one today.

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm about 7 chapters in.

message 3: by Berry (last edited Nov 02, 2014 01:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Berry (duffiec) Stopped at Chapter 19, I'll pick this back up tomorrow.

Michele | 11 comments Just read this and loved it.

Michelle (mostlymiddlegrade) Is it just me, or does this plot move quickly? I am loving that!

In chapter 25, I had to laugh at (view spoiler) .

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 168 comments I really enjoyed this one! :)

Michele | 11 comments Yes, the plot does moves quickly; one of the many virtues of this book.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4 comments I was just gifted the book so I will be partaking in this discussion. :)

Michelle (mostlymiddlegrade) Chapter 57 Ack! Seriously? We have to wait to find out (view spoiler) ? Ugh.

Felina | 821 comments I started this one last night to be my exercise book. I'm very interested in whats happening!

message 11: by Berry (last edited Nov 05, 2014 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Berry (duffiec) Question for you guys...

(view spoiler)

Michele | 11 comments (view spoiler)

message 13: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Started last night... 10% in, so far I'm interested. Hopefully it keeps up!

Elise I have started this book yesterday. I am now in chapter 14 and am totally loving it so far!

message 15: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I'm about 65% through and liking it alright.. But not loving it really. I don't know, it's just not pulling me in and demanding that I read it. May be just my state of might right now though...

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments SO I got over some of my Meh reading issues and read a little more of this today, up to p100.

Gosh, I really like it but the book is due at the library two days ago!

message 17: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I started this last night. Not all that far in - chapter 12 - and I'm with Dawn. Early days yet, though, so we'll see how it goes.

I will state upfront, though, that I wouldn't have read this book if it weren't a group book, so... *shrugs*

message 18: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I've kind of gone from "liking it alright but not really living it" to actively being annoyed with everyone and kind of thinking they all deserve to die.

Currently sitting at 85% and just got past the part where Private Whathisface (view spoiler)

The only thing keeping me going is I am curious about Melanie and what this (view spoiler) that reviews keep mentioning.

Elise For some reason it is taking me quite long to finish the book. I still like the story (although I agree with colleens post above!!!), but I seem to be moving very slowly through the pages.

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Elise wrote: "For some reason it is taking me quite long to finish the book. I still like the story (although I agree with colleens post above!!!), but I seem to be moving very slowly through the pages."

I'm moving super slow, too.

Berry (duffiec) I'm super surprised at all the comments from people finding it boring or not enjoying it, thought for sure this one would be a hit, I freakin' loved it.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Berry wrote: "I'm super surprised at all the comments from people finding it boring or not enjoying it, thought for sure this one would be a hit, I freakin' loved it."

Yeah, me too, Berry. Though I will say that I think that this book kind of catered exactly to my tastes in a lot of ways.

Plus, it's so easy to zoom through an audiobook at 2x speed while knitting. :)

message 23: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Finally wrote my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Elise I'm finished! I gave it 4 stars. (view spoiler)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Started reading yesterday. I like it so far.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) i couldn't put it down. I love this book. What an impressive writer. Every character was real and true. I am very happy this was the book chosen to read.

message 27: by Felina (last edited Apr 02, 2015 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Felina | 821 comments I just finished this. I liked it very much. It started out slow so I lost track of it for a few months.

I really liked the character development. This is the first zombie novel I've read where the people are flawed and make mistakes. They are not military commandos and one dimensional Mary Sue's.

And I loved the ending. I was getting worried this was leading towards a trilogy so I was very happy when it ended. If he makes more I won't feel obligated to continue.

I was also very happy about how this one was scientifically thought through. Most zombie stories are just about the terror. This had scary moments but it also had regular story telling.

Good stuff!