Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
The Winter 2014 Group Reads Polls are open! The categories are:

World War II Fiction

Laugh Out Loud Funny

Christmas Chick Lit

Voting will be open until the end of the Goodreads day on November 14.

Click on "comments and details" to get to the book links to learn more about the titles.

Navigate to the polls on the right of the group home page or click here: Polls

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3670 comments Since so many books have the same titles, it would be helpful if you included the author name, or a link to the books somewhere. (Especially true for the Christmas Chick Lit books ...)

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Since so many books have the same titles, it would be helpful if you included the author name, or a link to the books somewhere. (Especially true for the Christmas Chick Lit books ...)"

Click on "Comments and Details" on the lower right and the links to the books are in the strip "This poll is about..."

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Since so many books have the same titles, it would be helpful if you included the author name, or a link to the books somewhere. (Especially true for the Christmas Chick Lit books ...)"

And, once you've voted, the links will show up for you on the main poll section.

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Just a reminder to vote on the Group Reads for the Winter Challenge if you haven't done so already! Voting ends tomorrow at the end of the Goodreads day.

message 6: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments In looking back on previous polls, I noticed sometimes there has been a tie breaker...some of these were from actual ties, others appeared to be 'close' between the top 2. Is there an actual number that warrants a tie breaker (i.e. if the top two are within 2 votes there will be a run off) or does it depend on how the rest of the votes have played out? Just curious! Thanks for any clarification!

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
Tara Jo wrote: "In looking back on previous polls, I noticed sometimes there has been a tie breaker...some of these were from actual ties, others appeared to be 'close' between the top 2. Is there an actual numbe..."

Normally, there's only a tie breaker if there's a tie.

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Two out of the three Winter 2014 Group Reads have been decided! The winners for World War II Fiction and Christmas Chick Lit are:

World War II Fiction - Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Christmas Chick Lit - Candy Cane Murder by Joanne Fluke

There was a tie for the Laugh Out Loud Funny category so we're having a TIE BREAKER! Voting will be open until the end of the Goodreads day on Sunday November 23.

Navigate to the polls on the right of the group home page or click here to vote: Polls

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments i'm decidedly un-wow'd by the GR this season - the 2 above i've read and gave 2 stars to for both of them :(

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments I loved Candy Cane murder and I haven't read Code Name Verity yet

message 11: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments I loved Code Name Verity....I'm kinda tempted to re-read. I have the "companion" book (Rose Under Fire) added to read for Winter.

But then I'm kinda hoping for Good Omens too....even though that's another re-read for me. Both were 5 for me. They made me feel feelings. lol.

Excited to see what it ends up being!

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments i should have loved cnv...heard good things abt the audio - may try it

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1019 comments Dee wrote: "i'm decidedly un-wow'd by the GR this season - the 2 above i've read and gave 2 stars to for both of them :("

Me too, although I really like both genres.....I was hoping that something else would be picked besides the 9th book of a series that I haven't even started and figured that most people who have started the series has long ago read since it is 7 years old :( But then again, a lot of people do like to re-read holiday books :)

I am not sure about CNV. It just isn't grabbing me or maybe it is my mood LOL

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3670 comments I read Code Name Verity last year - 4**** from me (I listened to the audio)

I've read several of the Joanna Fluke books and at least they're fast reads. (Damning with faint praise ...)

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments the mystery book is actually an anthology with 2 other authors - the Fluke books you can pretty much read stand-alone - best part about them is the recipes

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1019 comments @ Book Concierge Thanks for the encouragement on CNV. I am pretty sure that is the one I will end up reading.

@ Dee I still have to read ANY series in order LOL I think it is OCD that makes me do that. I have read out of order a time or two, not by choice but simply because I didn't know and then I was really upset about it LOL. I like recipes. Is that a common characteristic in the cozy mysteries? I just started reading that genre and so far most of them have had recipes.

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

The Winter 2014 Group Reads (task 20.10) have been decided! The winners are:

World War II Fiction - Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Christmas Chick Lit - Candy Cane Murder by Joanne Fluke

Laugh Out Loud Funny - Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman