Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders Helter Skelter discussion

Helter Skelter

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Licha Great book. One of my favorites. I have also been intrigued by this story ever since I can remember. I think the fascination comes from knowing that we can't relate to someone being so evil and having so much power over people who are willing to follow him and do as he says.

Papaphilly This is one of the best crime book written. Vincent Bugliosi wrote a masterpiece and did superb job of both caputuring the times as well as his expertise on both legal procedures and his thoughts on the experience. I remember when the book was published and the stir it caused. For whatever reason, this case caught the public attention and has never really let go, which is both facinating as well as horrific.

Duane Manson is a psychopath. To understand psychopaths, read Dr. Hare's book "Without Conscience".

The "Family" was a cult. Cults are largely comprised of weak-willed, soulless people who are made-to-order "followers" that are attracted to a "leader". Read up on the Heaven's Gate cult, the Aum cult, etc. and it will put Manson's "Family" in perspective.

Ed Sanders' "The Family" gives better insight into the inner dynamics of the cult than does Bugliosi. Sanders for instance turned up the fact that Manson's followers were dosing themselves with telache', which will turn anyone - and I do mean *anyone* - into a friggin zombie.

I.e., it ain't all as mysterious as it looks on the surface...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Read this book years ago but I enjoyed it, it was well written and very informative. Vince wrote another great one called "And The Sea Will Tell", it is well worth the read.

Carrie I too was intrigued by this book. Of course all the hub bub surrounding the Beach boys and Beatles played into why I read it, but I'm glad I did. Manson is if nothing else, a fascinating individual.

Duane Carrie wrote: "I too was intrigued by this book. Of course all the hub bub surrounding the Beach boys and Beatles played into why I read it, but I'm glad I did. Manson is if nothing else, a fascinating individual."

Yeah, uh-huh.

There are a lot of dead people out there - women in particular - who, if you could bring them back to life and ask why they were so attracted to the psychopath who murdered them, would go on at length about how totally "Fascinated" they were with him.

message 7: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike Yes, people always ask about scary novels. This is scary and true, great book.

Doubledf99.99 Jim wrote: "Yes, people always ask about scary novels. This is scary and true, great book."

I'm the same when someone asks me for a good scary read, i'll say Psycho, In Cold Blood and of course this one ..

Ruth Doubledf99.99 wrote: "Jim wrote: "Yes, people always ask about scary novels. This is scary and true, great book."

I'm the same when someone asks me for a good scary read, i'll say Psycho, In Cold Blood and of course ..."

I had nightmares after reading this book. I remember when this happened and the trial afterwards. This was the trial of the century before OJ. Bugliosi did a tremendous job prosecuting this case.

Doubledf99.99 Ruth wrote: "Doubledf99.99 wrote: "Jim wrote: "Yes, people always ask about scary novels. This is scary and true, great book."

I'm the same when someone asks me for a good scary read, i'll say Psycho, In Col..."

It is a very chilling read indeed..

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Read this back in high school. Scared the crap out of me that there could be someone out there as sadistic as he is.

The really scary thing is that there is a woman out in the world right now who wants to marry Charlie.

Licha Robert wrote: "The really scary thing is that there is a woman out in the world right now who..."

There are women who find some kind of attraction to men in jail. That in itself is scary, especially when some of these men happen to be in jail for rapes, murders, etc. It seems like some of these serial killers become attractive once they are in jail. Just look at Richard Ramirez, the Nightstalker. He had hordes of women visiting him and fighting over him.

Papaphilly I saw a picture of the fiance and she looks like she could be right out of his group. It never fails to amaze me that these people exist.

Licha I'm sure there has to be some big insecurities in these women. What have the men in jail got to lose?

Joanne The person who wants to marry Manson is 26. Quite young, but an insane idea at any age.

Licha Isn't he like in his 70's? This is just laughable.

Duane Licha wrote: "There are women who find some kind of attraction to men in jail. That in itself is scary..."

Op. cit. ref. "psychopath": there was a case in Oregon, where some meth addict did a contract killing on the head of their Dep't. of Corrections, and his court-appointed female attorney "Fell In Love" with him and married him.

Zero Percent Chance of Brain... there are undoubtedly some sike studies of the phenomenon

message 18: by G.T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

G.T. Trickle I read this book when it was first published. My memory is a bit faulty so bear with me. There were scenes where they went into houses while people were sleeping and did the ?creepy crawlers? thing. That's stuck with me. I've lived alone half my adult life and have never been afraid. But the thought of someone crawling around my bed while I'm sleeping. !Shiver! When anyone talks about this book, my recall flies back to those specific portions and I admonition myself for not being more diligent in checking to see that the house is really locked up tight at night.

Jeffery Lee Radatz Robert wrote: "Read this back in high school. Scared the crap out of me that there could be someone out there as sadistic as he is.

The really scary thing is that there is a woman out in the world right now who..."

Yes, I heard about that also. She, obviously, has fallen under Charles Manson's sick and twisted spell!

Licha G.T. wrote: "I read this book when it was first published. My memory is a bit faulty so bear with me. There were scenes where they went into houses while people were sleeping and did the ?creepy crawlers? thing..."

That has stuck with me too. That is so scary that someone would do that. The fact that they thought they could get away with it shows how far they were beginning to take this. There is something so violating about this act and I found it to be one of the more disturbing acts they commited.

Bonnie Matthews Very good book. I've always been a fan of true crime. this one doesn't disappoint.

Carrie Duane wrote: "Carrie wrote: "I too was intrigued by this book. Of course all the hub bub surrounding the Beach boys and Beatles played into why I read it, but I'm glad I did. Manson is if nothing else, a fascina..."

Duane, Im not sure what youre trying to imply here.

Duane OK, I'll try again.

THe VERY thing that makes psychopaths like Manson "Fascinating", is what causes people - women in particular, but not uniquely (look into Adolfo Constanzo sometime) - to become infatuated with them, get sucked in and "owned" by them, and go to their doom - often ending up actually being murdered by the psychopath.

Ted Bundy was a magnetic, mesmerizing individual...

Licha Duane wrote: "THe VERY thing that makes psychopaths like Manson "Fascinating", is what causes people - women in particular, but not uniquely (look into Adolfo Constanzo sometime) - to become..."

Adolfo Constanzo was creepy. That story is another one that is just hard to believe how easy it is for people to fall under the influence of someone so evil.