Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Death on Demand - Carolyn Hart

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Nov 12, 2016 05:37AM) (new)

Nell | 2654 comments Mod
November

This topic is to discuss Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand mystery series. The first in the series is Death On Demand.

Death on Demand (Death on Demand, #1) by Carolyn Hart

Design for Murder by Carolyn G. Hart Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3) by Carolyn G. Hart Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4) by Carolyn G. Hart A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5) by Carolyn G. Hart Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6) by Carolyn G. Hart The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7) by Carolyn G. Hart Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8) by Carolyn G. Hart Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9) by Carolyn Hart Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10) by Carolyn Hart White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11) by Carolyn Hart Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12) by Carolyn Hart April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13) by Carolyn Hart Engaged to Die A Death on Demand Mystery by Carolyn Hart Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15) by Carolyn Hart Death of the Party (Death on Demand, #16) by Carolyn Hart Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17) by Carolyn Hart Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18) by Carolyn Hart Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19) by Carolyn Hart Laughed 'Til He Died by Carolyn Hart Dead by Midnight (Death on Demand, #21) by Carolyn Hart Death Comes Silently (Death on Demand, #22) by Carolyn Hart Dead, White, and Blue by Carolyn Hart Death at the Door (Death on Demand, #24) by Carolyn G. Hart

message 2: by Nell (last edited Nov 05, 2014 09:08AM) (new)

Nell | 2654 comments Mod
Carolyn Hart has been called the Queen of the Modern Cozy. The first book in this series was published at a time when publishers in America had very little interest in female mystery authors (1987). The popularity and commercial success of this series opened the door for many of the traditional/cozy authors we enjoy today. Hart was honored as a Grand Master of Mystery at this year's Edgar Awards.

I've read just over half of this series. This month I will pick up where I left off with Engaged to Die.
Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14) by Carolyn Hart

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I have the very latest one in the series on my TBR pile and I've been reading the Death on Demand series for years. Annie and Max are a great couple and Broward's Rock has a great cast of characters (except Emma - I'm sorry, I don't like Emma at all!).

NotQuiteAllHere I just finished Death on Demand. I have recently started to really get into mysteries and like when I got into comic there was just SO much out there it is hard to find a place to start. I am glad this is one of the first and for this group. I like the character and the fact that the mystery wasn't so easy. I mean it was simple to figure out but it wasn't so easy that I got bored which is a huge problem for me. I am excited to read the series

message 5: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2439 comments Mod
I'm finally getting to pick this up from the library tomorrow. I was afraid it might not be available, but it finally got returned!

message 6: by Nell (last edited Nov 22, 2014 05:18AM) (new)

Nell | 2654 comments Mod
The main character in Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand series is Annie Darling, owner of a mystery bookstore by the series name. Annie's cats are named after two golden age mystery writers - Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers. Annie mentions other mystery authors and books throughout the series.

Did you discover new authors this way?
Do you find it distracts from or adds to the story?
Does it make the bookstore location more authentic?

FYI - There's a link on Hart's website to the other authors she names. Go to www.carolynhart.com and click on "Authors in the Death on Demand books"

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 120 comments I just finished Death on Demand. I have never read this series and I'm glad I was introduced to it. I did enjoy the characters, the plot, the mystery of it all. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

message 8: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2654 comments Mod
Annie mentions other mystery authors and books throughout the series.

Did you discover new authors this way? Yes

Do you find it distracts from or adds to the story?
A little of both. It was distracting when I tried to keep up and write down the names of authors as I read along or dog-ear pages to come back to them. I soon stopped doing that and just read the mystery.

Does it make the bookstore location more authentic?
I think it does. Annie puts out new mystery publications, hosts book groups and author events like one expects at a bookstore.

NotQuiteAllHere I like the authors and books added in. Sometimes it can be distracting but I have ordered 3 books and 1 movie from the library because of it. The link also helps. I was planning on googling for one once I need more names. I do think it makes the bookstore more real. I have read other books that it was obvious that the author had never really done whatever kind of job or worked at said kind of store but I think the added names and book shows Annie's and the author passion for mysteries and makes it more believable that she owns a bookstore

message 10: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2439 comments Mod
I have to admit I gave up on the book, temporarily. But I was in a strange slump and gave up on a lot of books then. I hate when nothing appeals. I still plan on reading it, hopefully this month, because I think I'll like it.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 120 comments I liked the fact that she mentioned other authors, some of them I never heard of and probably wouldn't if she hadn't of mentioned them. I think it's neat to discover new authors and I've got the ones she mention on a wish list of mine. I also found that with her mentioning them it made it feel more like she was really running a bookstore and not just writing about how to possible run a bookstore. I also felt it made it seem more real to me than an imaginary one.