Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > White House Chef Mystery - Julie Hyzy

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Nov 01, 2014 03:29AM) (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
November

This topic is to discuss Julie Hyzy's White House Chef mystery series. The first in the series is State of the Onion

State of the Onion (A White House Chef Mystery, #1) by Julie Hyzy

Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery, #3) by Julie Hyzy Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4) by Julie Hyzy Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5) by Julie Hyzy Fonduing Fathers by Julie Hyzy Home of the Braised (A White House Chef Mystery, #7) by Julie Hyzy

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments This is one of my favorite series and one I stay current on. Looking forward to the new one in January!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Are we suppose to read this for November? I just ordered it and yet to get it. I am anxious to read this series. Just finished Lorna Barrett's books. Loved them.

message 4: by Nell (last edited Nov 03, 2014 06:04PM) (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "Are we suppose to read this for November? I just ordered it and yet to get it. I am anxious to read this series. Just finished Lorna Barrett's books. Loved them."

This is one of the featured series for November. It's a way of introducing members to new authors or reminding some of us that we've been meaning to read more of a particular series. Participation is optional and folks read at their own pace throughout the month. You have plenty of time for the book you ordered to arrive. Glad to have you joining the conversation.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 120 comments This was the first time I read Julie Hyzy. I did enjoy this book very much. I'm going to read the rest of the series. I love Olivia's personality, I could connect to her. To me she was a real person, someone that I might hang out with. I did bounce back and forth on who it was. But I slowly figured it out and stayed with my choice. I like a mystery that makes me think. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

message 6: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
I picked this series for November because it has politics (set in the White House) plus food (MC is a chef). Started reading Hail to the Chef last night and was immediately drawn into the story. This entry has the bonus of being set just before Thanksgiving as well.

Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 120 comments I can't wait to start this one after I read the book that I just started

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I love this series, although for me, the first three books were just "good" - the series really took off on the fourth book. I'm eager to get my hands on the newest one coming out in January.

message 9: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Just got this one from the library. I have to admit I will try it but the back cover didn't really do anything for me.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) | 26 comments I love this series

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished the book. It was okay but seed far fetched as how could all those people just walk in and out of the White House kitchen.

message 12: by Nell (last edited Nov 10, 2014 05:45AM) (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
I remember thinking that when I read the first one and an intruder was running across the White House lawn. Recent events reveal that was not as far fetched as it appeared!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay you are right. I liked the book but not my favorite but I am reading Grace Against The Clock this is a manor house series by the same author Julie Hazy. I will check this series out and see which one strikes my fancy. The White House chef was okay but the characters were not really detailed enough to get into them. I will see how this other series goes. One thing is that I just love a good cozy and they all are good in there own writer's style.

message 14: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2406 comments Mod
This is one of my favorite series. I think the books have gotten better, and I'm glad to hear there's a new one coming.

message 15: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Just finished Hail to the Chef. Enjoyed it - there were a number of suspects and motives. Even though I figured out part of the mystery, I wasn't sure until the end.

Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy

message 16: by Nell (last edited Nov 12, 2014 07:58AM) (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Started reading Eggsecutive Orders. Ollie's mother and grandmother are visiting her in this one. Looking forward to learning more about the MC's personal life.

Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery, #3) by Julie Hyzy

message 17: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin G | 1 comments I liked it. I was taking back by how many things where going on at once. Her love life and her job and the dinner. Just a little bit busy. I did like it though. I will continue to read the series.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris This is the first one I read in the series - got me hooked to read others - can't wait to read the new one....I like the chef, the personalities around her and that she includes the President's child -- wish the romance was a little more defined...

message 19: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments I liked this one more than I thought from the description on the back of the book. I did think it was busier (more action) than the average cozy mystery. There was also less character building. I found the sleuth's behavior stretched beyond belief at times with her insistence on investigating something that involved national security.

message 20: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Finished Eggsecutive Orders last night. Mixed review - the death is tied to the kitchen so Ollie's involvement is more understandable. On the other hand, she spends more time away from the White House kitchen, I preferred the previous ones where the focus remains in the WH. That said it was a good mystery and I did not guess the culprit.

Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery, #3) by Julie Hyzy

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 140 comments I love this series. I got to meet Julie Hyzy at a book signing earlier this year. It was interesting, I guess she doesn't own the rights to this series. Someone else came up with the idea, but she writes the books. Her other series, like the Manor House, she actually came up with the idea so she can do what she wants with that series.

I haven't read any of the Manor House books yet myself, but have read all or almost all of the White House series.

message 22: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Started reading Buffalo West Wing. Traveling tomorrow so I should get a lot read while I sit in cars, planes and airport terminals.

Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4) by Julie Hyzy

message 23: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Finished Buffalo West Wing yesterday - it was excellent! Now I see what readers of this series mean when they say that Hyzy keeps getting better! I can relate to the MC despite her unique work environment. Hyzy's character development is believable. Looking forward to the next in this strong series.

Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4) by Julie Hyzy

message 24: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments Nell wrote: "Finished Buffalo West Wing yesterday - it was excellent! Now I see what readers of this series mean when they say that Hyzy keeps getting better! I can relate to the MC despite her u..."

Good to hear!! FONDUING FATHERS, book 6, is absolutely stellar!

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary Ann | 10 comments i didnt think i would like the book because of the setting, but i loved it. have the second one on my kindle ready to read.

message 26: by Martha (new)

Martha Samsell (tmhoira2012) Interesting book, I read she checked with the secret service on protocol while writing this book. I liked the story and characters, would like to read Buffalo West Wing.

message 27: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Started Affairs of Steak yesterday. Ollie's nemesis, the sensitivity director, figures prominently in this one.

Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5) by Julie Hyzy

message 28: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Finished Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5) by Julie Hyzy a couple of days ago. Very good mystery. Though I did figure out the significance of one of the clues, I did not guess the culprit.

message 29: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2406 comments Mod
I missed Fonduing Fathers somehow. I've got to go back and read it.

I'm amazed with how many different circumstances Hyzy has come up with so far.

Martha, that's interesting about the Secret Service protocol research. Their actions seem authentic in the books, but sometimes you don't know how much an author gets creative.