You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > November 2014 - Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore Discussion

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Discuss here!

Please remember to use spoiler tags where necessary, and let us know what you think of the book - whether you are reading it now, or have read it in the past.

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am on page 209 (of 289 pages), and I am struggling to get into the story. Although there are some interesting characters, I just haven't identified with a character yet, which I think may be the main problem for me. I just don't know what the problem is. I am trying to make it work.
I have read plot driven books and enjoyed them.

I will finish the book.

message 3: by Ava Catherine (last edited Nov 03, 2014 08:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments (view spoiler) I also like that OK is still valued.

message 4: by Cherie (last edited Nov 04, 2014 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19780 comments Connie - I have had this book on my TBR list almost as long as I have been in the group. I did not realize that it was so short. I may have to see if I can download a copy from my library, if I have time before the end of the month.

"OK is still valued"?

message 5: by Ava Catherine (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Old knowledge=ok

I am taking a break from this book and reading another book, but I'll come back and finish it.

I will be interested in what you think about it, Cherie.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I really enjoyed this book. It is s bit on the strange side, but that works for me. It had a bit of humor as well.

message 7: by Ava Catherine (last edited Nov 05, 2014 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have finished this book, and it did get a little better for me. (view spoiler)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments I did not like this book as much as some people did. I read it in Dec. 2012 and it was just ok for me.
I didn't find anything particularly likeable or dislikeable about the main character, he just seemed rather bland to me.

SarahA (goodreadscommedsdemon) | 3 comments I finished this very quickly and actually really enjoyed it. Not the type of book I would normally choose, I found it's slightly quirky style appealed. Where does someone imagine all this up from??
The conclusion I reached at the end of the book is I would love to make the acquaintance of a Mr Penumbra in my life and I would happily read other books by this author.

message 10: by Cherie (last edited Nov 10, 2014 04:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19780 comments I tried to get an ebook copy from my library on Overdrive but I have to wait for 24 others to finish first. I checked the audio book availability and see that there is only one hold on the audio book version, so, if I get it before the end of the month I will be listening to this one.

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I read this about a year ago. I think I picked up a copy in an airport shop since I'd run out of things to read. I remember liking it overall a good deal. Its quirkiness appealed to me. I also remember thinking it lost some steam toward the end. The writing got sketchier and felt maybe too much like a hastily strung together version of his plot outline. But I forgave the weaknesses because overall it was a fun, creative read. I loved Penumbra's book store and its clunky old Mac. I enjoyed the motley cast of characters. I'd probably have given this 3.5 stars if half stars were allowed.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19780 comments Ha ha ha! I am still laughing about this story.
Connie, I really liked it. Maybe it would have been different if I had read it, but my hold on the audio book at my library came through on Thursday and I started listening as soon as I got home. The narrator had a great voice and was so much fun to listen to! His name is Ari Fliakos and I will be watching for other books he has done.

I loved Clay and all of his friends. I thought it was a great story! I especially liked it when he was talking to and about his best friend. Mr. P was strange, but in a good way, I thought. (view spoiler)

I liked the stuff about the books and self publishing at the end and what Clay's girlfriend did with the space. It was a 5star story for me and I am glad I finally got a chance to get it off of my TBR shelf!

Paakhi Srivastava (pankh) | 199 comments I read this book last year..found it very interesting. I have 5 stars to this one. Clay and Ajax Penumbra were great! Clay's enthusiasm was so exciting. The concept of 24 hr bookstore, ciphers, the legend of 'i forgot the name of the person who created the first book' and the use of technology held me captive. I also liked Sloan's prose- lucid and smooth flow. Sloan researched about goggle technology so well which was also good to read. The book was about friendship and that was something i really appreciated

Terra (moonsbeamed) | 12 comments I am just in the first part of this book. I am so far enjoying Clay and his life in the book store.

Casceil | 2615 comments I read this book a year or two ago. I loved the beginning, but felt that the last part of the book didn't live up to what came before. Clay was a very likeable character.

Nancy H | 546 comments I was really excited when I got this book because I thought it was going to be really good. It was okay, but totally different than what I thought it was going to be, from the reviews I had read. I'm glad I read it, but it wasn't one of my favorites.

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Cherie wrote: "Ha ha ha! I am still laughing about this story.
Connie, I really liked it. Maybe it would have been different if I had read it, but my hold on the audio book at my library came through on Thursda..."

Cherie, I am so pleased that it was a winner for you. I wish it could have worked for me, but it was one of those books that I had to plow through just to say I had finished. Mr.Penumbra was the only character with whom I felt connected. I am glad I read the book, however, because it has been recommended to me so many times.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19780 comments Connie, maybe it was the gamer references and the clues to the mysterious puzzle stuff that was going on that appealed to me. The technology changes and the first reader's resistance to them vs. the old technology of paper and pencil vs computers and programming also appealed to me. The fact that Mr. P was a kindly and a good judge of character and a good man was important too and I really wanted to see them keep the store going for him. The bookstore part of the story and space and how the books were stored in the stacks was not as appealing as much as how they were looked up and retrieved and how the people came to get new books. Clay, as a character may not have been as appealing in the written word, but how the audiobook narrator "read" him was just so funny and entertaining I may have overlooked his short-comings and those of others. To me, this was simply a story to be entertained by, not to find any deep meanings or things to be pondered. The plot, such as what it was was fun and just enough of a mystery to keep things moving. I am sure the story could have gone into deeper detail in a lot of places, but I didn't mind enough to get upset about it.

Maybe I was a little influenced by having just read and really enjoyed Ready Player One a month or two ago. I wonder if any of the ones doing the buddy read for it this month will read this one too.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I've seen it mentioned in reviews that this book is kind of a mix like Ready Player One and Peter Clines 14. It did have the wierdness of 14 for sure. The styles were very similar

Jessica It's weird I found that the first half of the book was a lot easier to get into then the second half. I read the first 150 pages or so in a day and the rest of the book took me 10 days to get through. I enjoyed it and am glad to have it off my tbr but I didn't love it. I had a hard time connecting to the characters. I oddly had a hard time remembering Clay Jannon's name or any of the characters names really.

I want those book shelves!
ME

Filled with all the books that I could ever read.

Michelle Burton (goneabroad71) | 53 comments Like many others, I really enjoyed the first half of the book, but felt it lost momentum and was weaker by the end. What did everyone think about the Clay-Kat relationship?

Cherie (crobins0) | 19780 comments Michelle wrote: "Like many others, I really enjoyed the first half of the book, but felt it lost momentum and was weaker by the end. What did everyone think about the Clay-Kat relationship?"

I was in favor of it, but she was too occupied with her management job. Poor Clay, but I think he got over it.

Jkmays I am at 51%...it has taken several days to get here. Not bad, but not really seeing the point yet.

Jkmays Well, I finished today...worked hard at it to just get done. I think I didn't like all the techy stuff. I never could get invested in it. I did care enough to go ahead and finish, to find out what happened, but I can't give it more than two stars out of five.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19780 comments Jkmays wrote: "Well, I finished today...worked hard at it to just get done. I think I didn't like all the techy stuff. I never could get invested in it. I did care enough to go ahead and finish, to find out what..."

Seems to be a 50/50 book, Jkmays. It will be interesting to see the score for this one at the end of the month. There is little in-between. Either we like it or we don't. :)

message 26: by Lucy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lucy Furr (lucyfurr) | 775 comments Sneaking in under the wire here. I read this earlier in the year as I had randomly seen it on sale for my Kindle so I snatched it up. I really enjoyed it, thought it was a fun and lighthearted read, which was something I really needed at the time. I particularly enjoyed all the stuff about the Geritzsoon font, as I'm a bit of a freak about fonts. I've noticed in the past that I've read a lot of books where the main character is a writer, but I think this is the first time I've read about bookstore owners. It was kind of neat to read a book...about books.

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

14 (other topics)