You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Six Years
This topic is about Six Years
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > November 2014 - Six Years discussion

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Discuss here!

Please remember to use spoiler tags where necessary, and let us know what you think of the book - whether you are reading it now, or have read it in the past.

message 2: by Roz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roz | 3568 comments Just downloaded my library copy.

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I did too! But first I'll be reading The Name of the Wind for the buddy read.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19791 comments I started reading this afternoon to see if Jake has red hair. I am just at chapter 7 and I still don't know.

I thought I would read 50 pages to see if It was an interesting story. If I had stopped at the previous chapter, I might have walked away. Now, there is "a need to know".

Why do I need to know what color his hair is? Well, in all three of the books I am currently reading, the main guy has red hair! I know, wired huh?

Roz? How are you doing?

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Debating beteeen this and another to be my next book. I'll decide in the morning

message 6: by Roz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roz | 3568 comments Cherie wrote: "I started reading this afternoon to see if Jake has red hair. I am just at chapter 7 and I still don't know.

I thought I would read 50 pages to see if It was an interesting story. If I had sto..."

I started reading this one about an hour ago (and watching football at the same). Red hair? I don't see it. I think he's dark haired. But I'm only on chapter 4. Meh so far.

My knee surgery is tomorrow morning. I have my bag packed so I'm set.
The biggest worry was getting coverage at work. Nobody else does my job (nor do they want to) but I had to "train" a reluctant someone to do enough of it so I wouldn't be swamped when I get back. One of my retired friends said maybe I'll win lotto or Mega Millions while I'm out and I can just not come back. I like that plan. If that doesn't happen I'll at least have a 6 week "vacation" and be back at work mid-December.
So, I have a bunch of books lined up, wool for a knitting project (to be decided later), and a needlepoint that should get finished at some point. Oh, and therapy, of course.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments Good luck with your surgery Roz. I had a pile of quilt tops that just needed the binding tacked down, and I never tackled one of them. LOL!

message 8: by Roz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roz | 3568 comments Send them to me. I'll take care of it ; )

Kerri I finished this last night and I think "meh" covers it very well. I kept reading to find out what happened in the end, though I thought the writing was ordinary. I was pretty disappointed with it. I remember reading others from this author years ago and enjoying them, so not sure whether my tastes have changed or his writing has. I'm tempted to try another to find out.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments Roz wrote: "Send them to me. I'll take care of it ; )"

LOL! I did finally get them done.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19791 comments Roz wrote: "Cherie wrote: "I started reading this afternoon to see if Jake has red hair. I am just at chapter 7 and I still don't know.

I thought I would read 50 pages to see if It was an interesting story..."

Oh, my gosh, do I know what you mean about being the only one who does your job and no one else wanting to. I am in the same boat where I work. It took me almost 5 months to train someone to do only a partial list of the jobs that I normally do, so that I could go on my last sabbatical. I hope your surgery goes well and you will be back home in no time!

I think we are at the same place in the book. I quit at the beginning of chapter 7. I don't have a lot to say about it so far. The lead up to where we are at was pretty tame. Jake seems like an interesting guy. I like the humor. I think the next couple of chapters will make it or break it for me. I don't read a lot of these kinds of mysteries, so, I am trying to give this one "the 'ole college try". My friend at work loves this author and raves about his books.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Certainly the more I read the more curious this all becomes.

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Okay, you are all starting to worry me that this is not a great Harlan Coben book! So far I haven't read any of his works that I didn't enjoy a lot... I guess that means there has the be a first.

I won't be able to start on Six Years until probably the end of this week or first of next week. I really hope the lackluster comments so far are just simply a difference in tastes and that I do enjoy the book.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I am enjoying it so far I just have no idea where it is all going. Its a mystery. Lol

Kerri KimeyDiann wrote: "Okay, you are all starting to worry me that this is not a great Harlan Coben book! So far I haven't read any of his works that I didn't enjoy a lot... I guess that means there has the be a first.
..."

I'll be interested to see what you think of it. Since you are familiar with this author you will be able to tell us if it up to his usual standard or not. I have a few of his other books lying around that I picked up from a garage sale so I might try another one.

message 16: by Tasha (new)

Tasha KimeyDiann wrote: "Okay, you are all starting to worry me that this is not a great Harlan Coben book! So far I haven't read any of his works that I didn't enjoy a lot... I guess that means there has the be a first.
..."

Me too! I will be able to start later this week. I hope it's not a dud...

message 17: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Travis of NNY wrote: "Certainly the more I read the more curious this all becomes."

this at least sounds hopeful...

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments @Kerri, I'll most definitely be reporting in when I start listening to it. What other titles do you have by HC?

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Well I enjoyed this one. It kept me guessing the whole time. Yes it is a bit far fetched but as long as the pieces fit together I'm ok with having to suspend belief a bit. I'm giving it 4 stars.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I will add something about the way the story line comes together had a similar feel to Gone Girl which is another book which people had mixed feelings with.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19791 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I will add something about the way the story line comes together had a similar feel to Gone Girl which is another book which people had mixed feelings with."

Thanks, Travis. I think this is a hint enough without giving anything away - at least for those of us who have read Gone Girl. :)

Did you read it or listen to the audio? If audio - who was the narrator - just curious. I haven't looked for any audio version. I am reading it.

Kerri KimeyDiann wrote: "@Kerri, I'll most definitely be reporting in when I start listening to it. What other titles do you have by HC?"

I have quite a few actually, Deal Breaker, The Innocent, One False Move, Caught, Promise Me there are more, I think about 15 in total.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I listened to Scott Brick who I like though some don't. I also wasn't trying to nor do I think I was giving anything away comparing it to Gone Girl. Soething about the telling of it felt like gone girl I don't know what I'm trying to say really.

message 24: by Cherie (last edited Nov 04, 2014 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19791 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I listened to Scott Brick who I like though some don't. I also wasn't trying to nor do I think I was giving anything away comparing it to Gone Girl. Soething about the telling of it felt like gone..."

I think you were trying to say that it has that same "suspense building - I cannot figure out where this is going - wtf" feel to it, Travis. At least that is what I am going through right now!
Don't read this spoiler until you have finished chapter 14 (view spoiler)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments @Kerri, I've read The Innocent and Caught. The others are all part of the Myron Bolitar series which I haven't really explored. I gave The Innocent 4 Stars but just 3 for Caught.

Kerri KimeyDiann wrote: "@Kerri, I've read The Innocent and Caught.
Ok, thanks I will try The Innocent first then, I have the whole set of the Myron Bolitar series so I hope I like them.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Pretty much says it Cherie. I think when authors kind of over do the suspense ultimately it ruins the ending. They try to keep building and then boom fit the pieces together and it's all over. That is where my issue always comes in these types of books.

Samantha A I couldn't get into this one at all because of the writing style, it was awful.. He is a fan of stating the obvious and saying "WELL" a lot. I don't understand the appeal.

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I'll be starting Six Years this evening on my commute home.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I do catch on to over word usage but I'll admit I didn't notice the "well"

message 31: by Tasha (new)

Tasha With all the comments so far, I decided to check out other reader reviews as well and I think I'm going to pass. I was really excited to read another of his (after years) but this one seems like it might not be worth it.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19791 comments Too bad, Samantha! I have to admit that the first 40 pages or so did not rock my boat but I have been pretty sucked into the story since then. I'm not saying that it is the best thing I ever read, but I like the humor, and I guess the suspense of the clue trail. I don't normally read these kinds of stories, with the exception of the Stephanie Plum series - again the humor is the draw for me.
I am just following Jake around in the story. I don't try to guess ahead and I haven't figured out anything that has happened before Jake told me. I am almost at the end.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19791 comments I finished. So, I figured out one thing! (view spoiler)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I am on chapter 6 and so far I haven't been sucked in. I can't help but think our main character is a slightly obsessed loser. Loser may be too strong of a word. I just keep thinking (view spoiler)
I know all of this is leading up to the big mystery and trying to solve it, but I'm just not feeling it yet. Maybe things will pick up soon.

message 35: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 07, 2014 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca (bd200789) I finally remembered to get this at the library. I will start it either tonight or tomorrow. I haven't read anything by this author before.

Jkmays I may be in the minority but I am really interested so far. I just finished a very intense, depressing book, so a good mystery is just what I needed. Am about 23% in right now.

Rebecca (bd200789) I read this yesterday. I liked it, but it took me a while to get interested in it. I almost quit reading altogether, but I'm glad I kept on. Cherie, the ending surprised me too. (view spoiler)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I think the biggest issue with this book was the character of the love sick Jake. I had to just ignore that part of it early on. Main characters who are huge losers. Yup. Jake

message 39: by Roz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roz | 3568 comments I finished a couple of days ago, and I must say I was disappointed. "Love sick Jake", just wanted to smack him and tell him to get over it already. He completely annoyed me. I was generous with my 2 points. I don't recall other books by this author being this bad but any that I read were along time ago.

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I'm on chapter 15 and finally starting to get a little intrigued. It is sort of hard for me to get involved because I'm still thinking nothing about Natalie's life is any of Jake's business.

After finishing chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19791 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "I'm on chapter 15 and finally starting to get a little intrigued. It is sort of hard for me to get involved because I'm still thinking nothing about Natalie's life is any of Jake's business.

Afte..."

This is definately where the story picked up for me too, Kimey. re. your spoiler, just keep reading - it will be explained. :)

Jkmays I finished last night. GEnerally I enjoyed it...not great literature, but a nice switch from what I have been reading. I did like Jake (i am a sucker for a love-lost character). Not putting any spoilers, as usual I forget how to do that and don't have time to look it up.

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Well, I finished Six Years this morning and I must say, not one of Harlan Coben's better books. It was okay, but it didn't suck me in the way his other books have. I never had an "I need to know what happens next" moment during the entire book.