Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2014-11 LIfe Changers - Reviews

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
Which Life Changers did you end up reading? Did the books you read give you new insights? Would you consider them as Life Changers? What would you consider a life changing book?

message 2: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Oct 31, 2014 11:50PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
Don't forget to make a positive change to your life by leaving a quote here.

Also in the spirit of the month, I have started a thread for us to make our own list of life changers.Click the link, or find the thread in the Welcome and Ice Breakers folder.

message 3: by Charity (new)

Charity | 540 comments I just finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This of course is the first in a series so it is sort of open ended, but the quest for the ultimate question/answer of life was still fun and intriguing.

message 4: by Charity (new)

Charity | 540 comments Completed Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Went in a totally different direction than I initially thought. I thought it was pretty good about accepting people and sticking by your friends.

message 5: by Marie (UK) (last edited Nov 10, 2014 03:35PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 557 comments Completed A Thousand Splendid Suns. This is a beautiful book with a haunting story line. What those women endure is unbelievable. I gave kit 4 stars only because i found some of it so difficult to read emotionally. The afghani regime and the belief that men put into it is appalling. I am not sure about "life changing" as i do not necessarily think life is much better now for the average afghani woman and i am not sure what i could change to make it different. I wonder whether the brutality is less and i wonder whether the Afghani woman, where there is no brutality, is necessarily unhappy. We sometimes think one culture is unacceptable when people of that culture feel differently

I have finished The Color Purple the life that celie lives is horrendous in every way, yet she accepts that and trusts that God will make her next life more comfortable. Into the midst of this horror comes someone who shows her that life can be different and that together people can move mountains, Shug and celie change lives for others - perhaps we can through simple actions do the same

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3410 comments Mod
I read A Tale for the Time Being, and gave it 4 stars. My review here .

message 7: by D (new)

D I have finished Love Letters to the Dead. Although I wouldn't classify it as a life changing read I might have done so we're I a teenager. I did enjoy the premise of telling the story through letters. I gave it *** but wanted the option of another half star.
I also read The Giving Tree for the first time. I was somewhat shocked at some of the backlash and resulting low ratings this book received. Life changing, no. Enjoyable, yes. **** The meaning only has to be as deep as you want.

message 8: by Charity (new)

Charity | 540 comments Finally completed A Game of Thrones. While I found it a very good epic tale, it took me awhile to get all the characters straight (actually I'm still not sure about the secondary characters). The only life-changing part about it for me was that it took a long time to read, but it was well worth it. It will probably continue to be life changing because I absolutely won't be able to not read the sequels! I'm that kind of reader!

message 9: by D (new)

D Completed my 3rd book for this month's challenge. I know Why The Caged Bird Sings is my first time reading Maya Angelou. Enjoyed the book but found the ending, though uplifting, somewhat abrupt. I felt like it should have said to be continued on the last page. Perhaps there is another book that picks up where this one ends. The book was enlightening, for sure.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I finished off Little Women on the way to work this morning. I missed reading this classic as a child and have finally caught up. Enjoyable read with some strong female characters, but not life changing for me at this point in my life.
I did get rather confused reading other people's reviews which were talking about things that clearly didn't happen. Then I realised my version didn't include Good Wives which is often bundled into Little Women, so that gave away some spoilers for the sequel!

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4422 comments Mod
I read Paper Towns and gave it 3*. I just did not identify with this book much nor with the characters. The story was interesting but not enough to pull me into it. Perhaps I am too far from this coming-of-age story to identify well. Definitely not life-changing to me.

message 12: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 57 comments I chose to read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I have nothing but praise for this book! I have been reading a lot of horror books lately so I decided it was time for a break and I ended up choosing this book. I had never heard of the book or author before so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The book focuses on 3 peoples lives, grandson Oskar and his grandmother and grandfather. Oskar is still emotionally recovering from his father's death in the twin towers on 9/11. His grandmother is still reeling from the abandonment by her husband many years before and the loss of her son. The grandfather is still dealing with the death of his first love during the bombing of Dresden, his guilt over abandoning his wife when she was pregnant, and now the death of a son he never knew. During these years of recovery Oskar must not only help himself but also his mother, grandmother, and even the grandfather he never knew existed. A very emotional story that thankfully didn't have me in tears! I loved the interweaving of the stories and hearing about events from different perspectives. I recommend this book to everyone, a must read, 5 out of 5 stars!

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I also read Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking and for a book that's been on my wish list for a while I was a bit disappointed. I'm not sure what it was that made this a let down, maybe all the hype gave me unrealistic expectations but it wasn't what I was expecting. Very anecdotal in style, with some general tips about how an introvert (like me) can balance their nature with a very switched on world. I'd already figured a lot of the tips out myself but I have done a bit of research into introversion after finally figuring our that I was one. Probably a better read for those who are just starting to work out their intro/extroversion.

message 14: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 57 comments I decided to read another book for this shelf called Good Omen. It is the story of Adam, the child anti Christ. However he isn't your typical spawn of Satan and Armageddon is the last thing on his mind. Definitely a must read!