Horror Aficionados discussion

How Do I...? > Your TBR shelves?

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Hi fellow Horror Aficionados! I used to post on this board a lot more a year or so ago but then life got in the way.

I have a question about how you shelve your TBRs. Do you differentiate between those that you own as opposed to those you don't? And of those you don't own do you differentiate between those you really want to read as opposed to those you have a mild interest in but want to remember so you can look at reviews and such at a later time?

message 2: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Conley (gecizzle) They're just all piled up in TBR. No other category really. But, I have folders on my computer with the books that I own, separated by those I want to read ASAP, etc.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I have a 3 created folders but none to differentiate between those I own and do not own. Its not a bad idea but I've never been one to create folders.

message 4: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Yes I do have a separate folder for my tbr books that I own from the original folder to make it easier to see what books thst I actually have. I've been thinking on making a couple of other tbr lists because I'll really want to read a certain book but only remember the synopsis and have to go searching through that list of 800+ books, hoping that I have it.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I try not to buy as many books as I used to, both for space and for money. I try to only buy the book at full price only if I know I;m going to start reading it that week; otherwise, I wait for it to go on sale, and by then I usually forget about it because it was an impulse buy. But that only slightly lessens the problem.

Once a year I go through both my print and Kindle TBR piles and cull through them. It's painful -- like choosing between your kids. :-)

message 6: by Dizzybea (new)

Dizzybea | 10 comments I have them all shelved as to-read and don't differentiate between the ones I really want to read or just may want to read someday. I also shelve any books I actually own as to-read-own so I can pull those up separately.

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 755 comments I have 7 shelves on goodreads. Mainly use currently reading, 2014-sve, and tbr

message 8: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2867 comments Mod
I have an "own" shelf so I know what books I have waiting to be read. My pile of books to be read is getting large and it's easy to forget what books are there. My "own" shelf keeps me from buying a book twice, and saves me time by not having to search the book pile to see if I have a certain book.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments I, too, have a separate shelf for the books I own. I don't divide my TBR list based on how much I want to read them; I probably should, but I'm lucky I manage to get most titles on the TBR list at all before I forget them!

message 10: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6482 comments I actually deleted my TBR list. There were just too many books on the list and it was getting unwieldy.

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10680 comments Mod
I pretty much just have 1 big TBR shelf. I was sub-dividing but I quit. example: I have a shelf for history, ghost, supernatural, etc. but nah, i'll just pile them all together.

message 12: by Myst (new)

Myst | 398 comments My GR TBR shelf is mostly a list of books I don't want to forget about, but not necessarily a high priority read.

My high priority read list is in a notepad file on my computer.

It's got the new release schedule for authors I'm caught up on, and series I'm trying to catch up on looks something like this:

Jeaniene Frost
Halfway to the Grave (1), One Foot in the Grave (2), Destined for an Early Grave (4)
ILL: At Grave's End (3 friend), One Grave at a Time (6 friend), Up from the Grave (7 friend)

Vampire Files
Many Bloody returns
(friend all): Strange Brew, My big fat supernatural honeymoon, dark and stormy knights

Nov 11: Flesh and Blood - cornwell
Dec 2: Jason - hamilton
Dec 30: Die Again - Gerritessan
Dec 30: Crouching Tiger, Forbidden Vampire - Sparks
~~~~~~

I would feel overwhelmed if it was just the GR shelves since I'd have to switch between pages if the book I want to read next is already checked out.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I split my TBR into book length, e.g. under 100 pages, 100-200 pages, etc. This helps me out as length of book can dictate my willingness to pick it up. I split my Wishlist into price. :)

message 14: by Andi (new)

Andi Rawson (andreyact) Kate wrote: "I split my TBR into book length, e.g. under 100 pages, 100-200 pages, etc. This helps me out as length of book can dictate my willingness to pick it up. I split my Wishlist into price. :)"

That's a great idea, Kate. I always check to see how long a book is before I read it, I can just never remember which ones are the novellas in my non-DF pile. :)

message 15: by Scot (new)

Scot | 634 comments That is a great idea, Kate. Grouping by # of pages makes it much easier to pick something to read on my TBR. Looks like time for me to redo my TBR.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I also keep word documents on each length i.e. under 100, 100-200, etc. In them I list the books in alphabetical order and note the exact page count.
What can I say, I'm a list loving, nerd. ;)

message 17: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
And Kate wins the HA OCD Derby!!! :)

message 18: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Kate, that's one way I've never thought of that. I'm like you, I like my lists too. Thank you all for your responses. They've been awesome!

message 19: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Kate, that's one way I've never thought of that. I'm like you, I like my lists too. Thank you all for your responses. They've been awesome!

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments LOL. Do I win anything?
I know, pretty bad, right. ;)

message 21: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Not pretty bad! Pretty geeky good as far as I'm concerned. I'm an Excel geek, the more data the better!

message 22: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Not pretty bad! Pretty geeky good as far as I'm concerned. I'm an Excel geek, the more data the better!

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Jaimie wrote: "Not pretty bad! Pretty geeky good as far as I'm concerned. I'm an Excel geek, the more data the better!"

I have to say it's a lot of fun deleting off the books I've read, I feel like I'm accomplishing something. Even though I'm probably adding way more than I'm deleting. ;)

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "And Kate wins the HA OCD Derby!!! :)"

*BIG HUGS* :D

message 25: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "And Kate wins the HA OCD Derby!!! :)"

*BIG HUGS* :D"

*BIG HUG* :D

message 26: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10680 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "I split my TBR into book length, e.g. under 100 pages, 100-200 pages, etc. This helps me out as length of book can dictate my willingness to pick it up. I split my Wishlist into price. :)"

I have collections (folders) on my kindle split up like that.

message 27: by Char (new)

Char  | 13703 comments Mod
I separate my TBR into ones I own and ones I've wished for.
I also have a novella and short story tag so I can tell at a glance what's what.

message 28: by Kaisersoze (new)

Kaisersoze | 291 comments I just have one list, but every book I own is at the top of the list. So at the moment, I have the first 210 or so. After that, it's a wishlist.

*shrug* It works for me.

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6808 comments My TBR just includes everything from the books I really want to read to the ones I am just lukewarm about. All the books on that list I do not own.

message 30: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) I'm a horribly disorganized person. I don't even have an official TBR list outside of Goodreads. I do have tags for Kindle books and books I'm getting from the library, though. I should probably make a TBR list...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Jaimie wrote: "Hi fellow Horror Aficionados! I used to post on this board a lot more a year or so ago but then life got in the way.

I have a question about how you shelve your TBRs. Do you differentiate between ..."

On Goodreads, you mean? I put all books I own on an owned shelf here, to-read are books I own waiting to be read, and I have an exclusive wishlist shelf for books I'd like to read but don't have yet.

For home, I combine all of them because my TBR pile is so huge, over 1000, so couldn't keep them in any order by keeping them apart from read keepers.

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 252 comments Latasha wrote: I have collections (folders) on my kindle split up like that. How do you do that? I'm not very kindle savvy yet.

message 33: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments For me the only books that go on my actual to-read shelf on here are books I actually own and need to read. Books I really want to get go on my wishlist-want-it shelf, and books that sound good and I want to remember for later go on my to-ponder-sounds-interesting shelf.

message 34: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Erin ~ (Fall Weather + Books=♥) wrote: "On Goodreads, you mean?..."

Yes please.

message 35: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Kit★ wrote: "For me the only books that go on my actual to-read shelf on here are books I actually own and need to read. Books I really want to get go on my wishlist-want-it shelf, and books that sound good and..."

I think a wishlist is what I need to solve my problem. There are books I definitely want but then there are those that peak my interest that I may or may not pick up if I see in a book store or thrift store. I think for me, those are what I need to separate.

message 36: by Blight (last edited Jan 03, 2016 12:58AM) (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Good idea! I'll go reorganize my TBR into owned and wishlist!

message 37: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3428 comments I have almost 50% of my shelves organized according to genre/author including "tbr" piles. I am still working on getting all authors their own shelf. It is going to take me a long time no doubt as I have over 2000 books on my actual tbr pile.

For me it makes it simpler to find what I want by author whether I have read the book or not. Also it helps me with seeing what books I need to add by that author.

message 38: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2378 comments Damn that’s a big TBR pile. I just recently deleted a bunch of books on my TBR that I didn’t already own. I’m thinking of getting rid of the whole thing and just putting up a different one each month - like a reasonable little plan of monthly reading my friends can look at and message me for buddy reads.

message 39: by John (new)

John | 135 comments I have an Excel workbook - drop-down menus et al - with all the titles I own (a greeat many epubs from when I had a kobo along with the many boxes in storage) seperated by genre. And a running sheet that lists what I have read over the past couple years as well as those I have highlighted TO READ for the remainder of this year - far too many to realistically read in only two months obviously. Somewhat adicted to spreadsheets ...

The actual epubs are seperated genre / author on a back-up ...

message 40: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3428 comments Lena wrote: "Damn that’s a big TBR pile. I just recently deleted a bunch of books on my TBR that I didn’t already own. I’m thinking of getting rid of the whole thing and just putting up a different one each mon..."

I might have to do that eventually too, Lena, as I can't imagine actually reading all the books on that pile. It would still take time going through the "to-read" list. It is a lot easier adding then taking away! lol :)

message 41: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2378 comments Yep. That way it’s not a monkey on your back. You can feel like an accomplished reader... until the GR Awards come again.

message 42: by Randy (last edited Nov 04, 2017 07:12PM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1599 comments I put every new Amazon "purchase" onto GoodReads as a TBR. I currently have over 13,000 books in the Amazon Cloud. Almost all were free books on Amazon. I doubt I'll even get to read 10% of them. I'll sometimes get the 2nd or 4th book in a series if they are free, hoping the others will be free in the future.

message 43: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1867 comments J Leigh wrote: "Hi fellow Horror Aficionados! I used to post on this board a lot more a year or so ago but then life got in the way.

I have a question about how you shelve your TBRs. Do you differentiate between ..."

I shelve by what I own and don't own; also between e-books and physical copies. That really helps me focus on getting those e-books read!

I have books shelved by genre also. I love horror first, but love my sci-fi. So when I am on a horror role, I make myself switch up to another genre. Easier too

message 44: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2378 comments I have a Randy shelf. Thanks for the freebies Randy!

message 45: by Char (new)

Char  | 13703 comments Mod
I have a TBR Owned and a TBR wish list.

message 46: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 915 comments I'm currently going through my shelves to add books to more shelves but it'll take...forever. I do however have all the books I own categorized between "own" "own but not yet read" "kindle tbr" "physical tbr" "own-kindle" and "own-physical".

I'm working on putting all books I own but haven't read yet in to different tbr lists based on how badly I want to read them (since I have a ridiculous amount of Ebooks due to 99% of them being free) and books that I clicked as want to read on here but don't yet own based on how much I want to get them.

I have a lot of shelves on here. It helps to keep me somewhat organized. I'm working on it lol :)

message 47: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 746 comments I have TBR-owned and TBR. MY TBR is my wish list.

message 48: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) My To-Read here on Goodreads is a dump-all for every book that sparks my interest. For books I actually own and have yet to read, I have a shelf entitled “own-to-read.” That way, I know what I actually have as opposed to all the books that strike my fancy.