Audiobooks discussion

Archives > More pet peeves?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 152 comments I keep coming across reviews for audiobooks where the reviewer says they didn't read the first book in the series and then complains that they don't understand what is happening in the story.

So why would someone pick a book in a series and read it out of order? Just wanted to see what others think about this, does it matter to you or not? I always read them in order so this has me curious, thoughts anyone?

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I think it depends on the series. While most series consist of one story arc, there are series in which each book is a stand-alone. For example, Tana French's novels are under an umbrella of Dublin Murder Squad series. But, each novel can be read on its own because there is no connection other than location and a few characters. A minor character in one novel becomes the main character in another novel, but there are few if any references to prior novels. On the other hand, a series like the Dresden Files should be read in order because each novel builds on the previous one.

I will admit to having read books in a series without having read previous books, but that only happens when the book isn't clearly marked as being part of a series and/or there's no indication of which part of the series it is. Now that Audible has series information, that's not happening with audiobooks.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Coley (redllamamama) | 12 comments It's silly to complain if you are reading out of order. I'm a cheapskate and only buy when necessary. So along the lines of reading out of order, I do that a lot because libraries in my area don't ever have the first books of a series, especially tje audiobooks. I get hooked, like on the Louise Penny Inspector Gamache books. I read the last three in order and am working at the beginning, trying to catch up. I've lucked out and picked up some at Audible's sales.