Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Hero of the Month 2014 > October 2014 Hero of the Month

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
Who is your favorite hero for the month of October? Tell us why!

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments Simon from Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
A tie for me between Apollo Greaves of Darling Beast and Sam Brody of It's in His Kiss. Both books are written by two of my most favorite authors and they have such talent to make me love their characters. Even the ones I don't really want to love.

message 4: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ | 6 comments Jacko from Midnight Vengeance (Midnight, #4) by Lisa Marie Rice . Big, tattooed, former Navy SEAL.

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney I have two, both historical romance heroes, and both pretty complex. So not "OMG he's so hot" as much as, "It would be really nice to married to one of these men"!

The Laird (Captive Hearts, #3) by Grace Burrowes Marriage Made in Money by Sophia James

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) My heroes of the month were:

Matthew Claimont in Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness by Deborah Harkness and Wyatt "Dr. Sexy" Stone in Then Came You (Animal Magnetism, #5) by Jill Shalvis by Jill Shelves

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 392 comments Jimmy Ferris from Lead (Stage Dive, #3) by Kylie Scott

message 8: by Kryptonite (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments Keir from Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan ... that I just reread.
And Simon from Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop . This story is so different

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
So why are guys selecting the specific heroes? I always like to know what draws a reader to a certain character.

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Hard to say, Danielle. The author has the ability to write a character that really appeals to me. They may not have certain qualities I'd want in real life or maybe they have issues or qualities that are unappealing but I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame. And then there are the men that DO have those admirable qualities that make me want to hold them and love them.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I agree with Pamela, it is hard to say. I like different heroes for different reasons.

I like Matthew from Shadow of Night because he is enigmatic and compelling. He has some very human faults even though he's a vampire and he feels things very deeply.

I liked Wyatt from Then Came You because he's so sexy (lol) and because he cares so much about people and animals.

message 12: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

I think one of the things that make me love them is their love for their woman. I can forgive so much if the hero loves his woman and proves it in some way.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "I think one of the things that make me love them is their love for their woman. I can forgive so much if the hero loves his woman and proves it in some way."

That goes without saying ;0)
the way the hero loves the heroine is a deal-breaker!

message 14: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) wrote: "So why are guys selecting the specific heroes? I always like to know what draws a reader to a certain character."

I still have some favourites from years ago (by authors like Cindy Gerard and Lisa Kleypas), but overall I think I've changed my mind about heroes. Now I prefer men I can actually see myself wanting to be married to.
So not some alpha-jerk I might have liked in my obsessive paranormal days!

I guess I like heroes who are really working towards being a good man, rather than one of those, "I'm such a tortured jerk until the last chapter, but So Sexy"!

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments I chose Simon from Written in Red not only because I'm a fan of shifters. But also because I like how he treated Meg throughout the book. He's very protective. It's urban fantasy so their relationship is slowly progressing, but I like how it's starting off.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Tammy wrote: "It's urban fantasy so their relationship is slowly progressing, but I like how it's starting off. ."

The slow burn of their relationship is one of the things I really like about the book. Meg is a real innocent and steaming up the pages early on wouldn't have worked well.

message 17: by Kryptonite (last edited Nov 10, 2014 06:37PM) (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments I agree it's how they are with their woman. Also if they have an overall great character... not someone who's jerkish. The overall story and how it's written also factors in. If I enjoy the book that much more I may be more inclined to pick the hero from there. But the earlier part needs to be there... I may really enjoy a book but if the guy isn't a jerk then I'm not picking him.

I picked Keir from Warprize because the character is unique. There's this huge cultural and language gap between the main characters but they work through it. And the two have these perfect little moments that gets to you. This story is from the heroine's POV and you see how she slowly realizes all the little things he does for her.

I picked Simon from Written in Red because he's another unique character. The interactions between the two characters is so innocent and adorable.

Thanks for the information. It's fun when a hero pricks your fancy and dissecting why they get you the way they do.

message 19: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 392 comments For me it's a depth in the hero and something compelling.
I can read a fantastic book but the hero may not be as interesting as other characters or the plot. But then I can read a book and a hero will just stand out. I think it's that they are interesting, have many facets, have that 'something' that makes me want to read about them and their reactions to others and to the situations they face within the plot. There is a strength and honour inside with they way they are towards their loved ones and especially the heroine.
On thinking about it, that's the reason I choose hero who stands out! It's actually quite hard to pinpoint exactly why lol!

Totally agree, Natalie!