Bitter Kittens Book Club discussion

What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin | 3 comments I just bought Amy Poehler's book "Yes Please". What are you reading?

I'm Matildarf on the chat boards. :)

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I just finished the new Nora Roberts. I'm at loose ends currently

message 3: by Sarahbeth (new)

Sarahbeth | 5 comments I just finished John Grisham's "Gray Mountain"

I have a couple of things on hold at the library that I can't wait to go get tomorrow.

I'm SarahBeth on TLo.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin | 3 comments Hi all… I have a bunch of books on my Kindle. I've been more of a binge watcher rather than reader…. like to get back to reading! TLo's book is half read!

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin | 3 comments Sarahbeth wrote: "I just finished John Grisham's "Gray Mountain"

I have a couple of things on hold at the library that I can't wait to go get tomorrow.

I'm SarahBeth on TLo."

Hi SarahBeth…. how did you like Gray Mountain?

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1 comments I'm reading Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro. I've read all of her non-fiction/memoir-y stuff and like her self deprecating sense of humor. This is the first bit of fiction of hers I've read. I'm just beginning it though so I'm not into it enough to really know what I think of it yet.

I'm katetastrophe on TLo

message 7: by Sarahbeth (new)

Sarahbeth | 5 comments Robin wrote: "Sarahbeth wrote: "I just finished John Grisham's "Gray Mountain"

I'm SarahBeth on TLo."

Hi SarahBeth…. how ..."

I really liked it a lot. I finished it in 2 days and stayed up super late finishing. Then again, I have a hard time putting his stuff down. I thought it was really interesting since its the first book he's written (I think) that's taken place outside of Mississippi. Would recommend!

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I love the group rules...

I'm reading The Brontë Myth

message 9: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 2 comments I'm currently reading Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, and when that's done I"ll be starting Margaret Atwood's new collection of short stories, "Stone Mattress," and then "The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Gailbraithe/JK Rowling. I read a lot! I'm AidanBoleyn on TLO, but you could probably figure that out :)

message 10: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 2 comments Alicia wrote: "I love the group rules...

I'm reading The Brontë Myth"

I also enjoy the group rules. There was an obvious troll on TLo's site last night who told me I needed a nose job before being blocked. People are weird.

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Aidan wrote: "I also enjoy the group rules. There was an obvious troll on TLo's site last night who told me I needed a nose job before being blocked. People are weird. ..."

T.Lo put so much effort into keeping the place nice!

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I'm also about to read The Cuckoo's Calling or dive into all of Dick Francis's books

Not sure which one I prefer at the moment

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Hello friends! I know I told you I was reading the Dragon Tattoo, but it turns out I still hate it. I just can't. I've got on hold a Kristen Britain book (she writes fantasy) that won't be in until Monday, so nothing to read right this second. I do have a new cookbook of low-carb meals so I plan to go through it and find my favorites to try.

I'm a little white kitty on TLo. You all know me well...

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Sarah wrote: "Hello friends! I know I told you I was reading the Dragon Tattoo, but it turns out I still hate it. I just can't. ..."

I used to review books for a magazine, and once when I was despairing about filing copy for the month the editor said "Life's too short to read bad books". I found that so freeing! I still occasionally hate-read, but mostly I am happy to bail on books I am not seeing redeeming features for.

message 15: by Sarah (last edited Nov 01, 2014 12:25PM) (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Alicia wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hello friends! I know I told you I was reading the Dragon Tattoo, but it turns out I still hate it. I just can't. ..."

I used to review books for a magazine, and once when I was desp..."

Oh, I most certainly understand what you mean. I used to feel terrible guilt when I was younger about not finishing books, esp. if someone I cared for recommended them, but if I've tried twice, I really can't pretend I haven't given it a shot. Same with Dune - I just didn't like it, and that was mom and sister-recommended.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica | 1 comments I'm reading Being Mortal from Atul Gawande. It may be about illness and death but it's great so far.

NinaBoo is my name on TLo.

message 17: by Sarahbeth (new)

Sarahbeth | 5 comments Robin wrote: "Hi all… I have a bunch of books on my Kindle. I've been more of a binge watcher rather than reader…. like to get back to reading! TLo's book is half read!"

Yeah, I've only gotten through half of TLo's book myself. I just keep picking it up and putting it down.

message 18: by Sarahbeth (new)

Sarahbeth | 5 comments I'm about halfway through Phillipa Gregory's new book - "The King's Curse" - I really am enjoying it - its nice to have the story told from a different and a bit less character than the usual major ones.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily Smith | 1 comments I can only read on my Kindle--with the print super-big. So, unfortunately, if I don't memorize the title at the start, I am at a complete loss of the name of the book (because the list of books on the Kindle does not blow up, no matter what your type preference. Or, if it does, I haven't figured out how to make it happen.) I just finished the supposedly last book in the Malazan series (fantasy), although I understand the co-author is still writing books in the companion series.

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Alicia SallyBowles wrote: "I’m currently reading Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty. It’s admittedly quite heavy, but I’ve been familiar the author for a while, and am also fan of Atul Gawande, so I knew what I was getting into. ..."

I love her! She's made me wish Tibetan sky burial was an option in England.

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 4 comments Sally, I love Gawande's books and have read them all. My mother-in-law died last year and I have to say that the pain of dealing with her illness and death was greatly mitigated by how well she prearranged her medical and estate concerns.....made things so much easier for my husband. I haven't read "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" but it sounds like one I would like. Akin to it is a book called "Stiff" by Mary Roach. Also about postmortem issues but with a funny twist. Sounds unlikely but it was great fun to read!

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth (ms_smartiepants) | 2 comments Aidan wrote: "I'm currently reading Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, and when that's done I"ll be starting Margaret Atwood's new collection of short stories, "Stone Mattress," and then "The Cuckoo's Calling" by ..."

I immensely enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling. I do not read a lot of mystery anymore (I binged my fill of it through high school longish ago), but it reminded me quite a bit of classic private eye/noir type mysteries. I saw lots of reviews that called it unoriginal, but I thought the style was deliberately reminiscent of and playing with that older form, which was fun. Also, the identity of the killer was not obvious to me: even close to the end, I still had suspicions about more than one character. I LOVE when I am not able to predict the outcome of a story.

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Hey guys, if you could also remember to put your books that you're reading on the bookshelf that would be great.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Just put my new book on the shelf. It's "Acacia" by David Durham. I hope that I like it; haven't really cracked it yet (busy week so far) but I am hurtin' for some decent fantasy and I have had a string of poor false starts lately.

message 25: by Gabbi (new)

Gabbi Levy (gabbilevy) Hello fellow kittens! Glad to see you here. I'm gabbilevy over at TLo and after taking about a decade off, I've returned to being the voracious reader I was before college/grad school/starting a career/actually having cable became a distraction.

Like several of you, I just read The Cuckoo's Calling and enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't speed through The Silkworm quite as quickly, but still found it fun. Also this month, Life After Life and Paper Towns, neither of which quite lived up to their reputations for me.

Casting about a bit for the next -- good thing the DC Public Library allows digital downloads right to my Kindle app :)

message 26: by Courtney (last edited Nov 08, 2014 07:43AM) (new)

Courtney I'm reading The Silkworm now. Just finished Cuckoo's Calling last night. How was Paper Towns, it's been recommended a few times to me

message 27: by Gabbi (new)

Gabbi Levy (gabbilevy) Courtney wrote: "I'm reading The Silkworm now. Just finished Cuckoo's Calling last night. How was Paper Towns, it's been recommended a few times to me"

Paper Towns is very John Green. If you've read any of his others (I've read both The Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska, it will feel familiar. Even though LFA was his first novel, I actually found it to be more sophisticated than PT. Still an enjoyable enough read.

message 28: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I'm currently reading Raising Steam - I feel terrible about it but I really think Pterry should probably wind up Discworld. The last few have felt a bit half-hearted.

message 29: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 4 comments I read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" for my book club and was wonderfully surprised by how much I liked it. I'm not usually a fiction fan. It's basically the story of a family, told from the viewpoint of the dog. I've never owned a dog and don't particularly relate to them, so I thought, Oh, Great, a double whammy here. Well, I was blown away. Beautifully written, a great "conceit" for point of view, a touching story, a little predictable but not really manipulative in my opinion. Loved every page!