Something Old, Something New discussion

Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Mercedes
Archived Reads - 2014 > November 2014 - Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
Here is the spot to discuss Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King.

Please be aware there could be spoilers!

Enjoy!

Kate S I had not planned on reading this one. I had a few other books scheduled for this month and I was number 212 on my library hold list. However, I walked into my local library branch and sitting there on the shelf right in the front was a copy of this book. Without thinking too long, I grabbed it, checked it out and then stared at it. I looked back and forth, this book, then the stack of books I have scheduled to read, then this book, then my stack and so forth. I finally decided this book has a shorter check out time (2 weeks versus 3 weeks) and no renewals available and therefore should take precedence over the others. So far, I am not disappointed...

Kate S I did not realize this was a "crime" novel as opposed to a straight horror novel. Has Stephen King done other crime novels or is this a new genre for him?

Kate S After reading the first part, Det.-Ret., I had several questions about the international versions of this book. Do readers in other countries quickly recognize the Jerry Springer show, or is there an equivalent of this terrible television in other parts of the world? The Albertsons and Walmart mailers, are they internationally accepted/understood or are they replaced with something more locally relevant?

Also, can one get a tramp stamp on one's ankle?

message 5: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm so excited you're also reading this Kate!
I'm hoping to start it in the next day or so once I finish my current book.
Yes, it's his first try at writing a crime novel rather than horror as far as I know which is why I was interested in reading it.
And yes, we certainly used to get Jerry Springer on TV over here in Australia. It was such a ridiculous show but one of those shows you just couldn't seem to turn off once it was on!
I've never known of a tramp stamp on an ankle. I though they were always supposed to be in a more provocative place but I could be wrong :-)

message 6: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

So I finally managed to start this one and I'm already hooked from the start.
Once I get a bit further in and have some more time I'll start posting my thoughts.
Has anyone else read this one yet?

Becky I read it when it came out & I loved it.

message 8: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm a little further into this book now and wish i could just read and not have to do anything else.
I find it interesting that we're getting the story from the point of view of the bad guy as well as the detective.
Does anyone else picture Bruce Willis as the retired detective? That's who I'm imagining in my mind while reading.

Kate S I try hard not to cast my books, but it is sometimes difficult to not compare a character to a real life actor. I can see Bruce Willis, but I certainly had someone heavier in mind when thinking about the detective.

I enjoy the bad guy's perspective. I thought King could have gone a little creepier with this particular character, but a look into the psyche of this kind of "perk" added a dimension to the story.

message 10: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I always tend to cast books that I am reading if they really grab me to the point where I can start imagine the book playing out as a movie or in real life. To me it makes me connect with the characters more if I can picture them clearly in my head while reading.
I've had such a hard time getting spare time to read this one lately. I have a lodgement deadline for work next week and trying to keep up with that has meant that I've been too tired to get through much more than 20 pages or so at night once I go to bed.
Hopefully I can convince hubby to take our boy out for a few hours this weekend so I can have some good quality quiet reading time :-)

message 11: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

So I don't know whether to feel sorry for the bad guy or disgusted by him after getting further into his life. It's very obvious as to why he's got issues, which is still no real excuse.
I've been able to get quite a bit more into this book this weekend and I like the way it's such an easy read and that is flows nicely along.
I'm a bit nervous though as I'm now getting to the part where (view spoiler)

message 12: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finally managed to finish reading this book a couple of days ago but have only had time to really come on here and share my thoughts just now.
So, in short, I loved this book. I loved the storyline and personally thought that King did another great job at an attempt to write something other than a horror novel.
I seriously struggled to put this book down for the final 100 pages or so and was literally on the edge of my seat wondering if the bad guy was going to succeed or not in his mission at the end.
I really felt for the characters involved and grew to really feel for a couple of them, especially the detective and Holly, she was just hilarious!
It's really disappointing to see how many people disliked this book and I'm wondering if there are those that just have way too high expectation of King for some reason and will therefore never be happy with anything he writes in the future.
Personally, I'm very glad I've read this and am desperately wanting to get his new book Revival now to see how that one stacks up.
What did anyone else feel about this book?