Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
This topic is about Sass & Sorcery
Group Monthly Discussions > Optional Book Club Discussion: Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe - November 2014

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Bylaska Whee! Started this afternoon and finished this evening because I couldn't put it down for long. I had high hopes after I checked out a preview and it didn't let me down.

I am a fan of fantasy as a genre but as a rule I expect a little less from fantasy comics. Not doing that anymore!

The art was excellent by Rob Upchurch. Very solid and I could have enjoyed the book for the art alone. Luckily the dialogue was great too. None of the jokes floored me but it was legitimately funny book. The plot also seemed to be moving along well and getting more interesting by the issue.

I predict more tentacle jokes in my future because I'm all in for volume 2. Five out of five blue jays in my beard after this one.

Davidg | 34 comments Another great find by this book group! If I had picked this up on my own and read the back cover line "sex in the city meets Lord of the rings" I would have put it straight back on the shelf. I'm glad I didn't because this was a very funny book. The artist achieved his goal of portraying women of different body types and the flawed characters were endearingly written. I am both excited and concerned about the animated version that has been announced and hope it's marketed to an appropriate audience because this book really deserves its mature rating.